d00bie

Good job! Haro Ally 29'ers Experiences/Owners!

Id love to see some pictures of your Haro Ally 29'ers, along with hearing your thoughts and opinions on the bike. I think theyre sick bikes, ive been a Haro fan from back in the day and figured they couldve only gotten better. Lets hear about them, also...a question...

Im 100% sure im going to buy this bike for my first bike, but the only setback it has going for it, for me at least is the 80mm fork. Is there an easy way out? Would you guys recommend another fork, or how did you get out of the 80mm fork? I need a 100mm fork for sure.

d00bie
    None?

mtbr member
    I can give you my opinion of the Ally, but I'm a little on the biased side....

Great bike for the money for sure. I haven't spent a ton of riding time on an Ally; I'm more of a steel fan so I ride a Mary. But I did spend some time on an Ally frame when we were in the testing phases of the bike and I really liked it.

In terms of the fork, the Ally bikes were designed around an 80mm travel fork. By putting a 100mm travel fork, you run the risk of altering your geometry in such a way that may not be favorable. You'll slack out the head angle and raise your bar/BB height...things that sometimes aren't a good thing for a 29er!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not an Ally, but on my Mary I installed a 100mm Reba. When I installed the fork it was set at 80mm and I found that I was dropping at least 20mm of that any time I stood up on the bike. Had the spacers pulled for 100mm and its perfect when you consider sag.

mtbr member
    I have an Ally SS. It came full rigid with a steel fork. It was fun to do short rides with the steel fork, but when I started racing it, it had to go. I have a 80mm travel Reba now that makes life much better.
    I quickly ditched the boat anchor stem, bars and saddle for lighter components.
    The rear chainstays are not wide enough for the big 29r Nevegal that comes on the bike. I have had constant issues with the rear wheel. It was not laced up properly from the factory, with the rim being offset to the left a little. On the first ride, several spokes came loose and caused a flat spot in the rim. I have had several shops look at it, including the shop that sold the bike. Nobody is able to fix the wheel properly and the rim needs to be replaced. As it it is right now, the wheel will not even turn with out the tire hitting the L/S chanstay. For now, when I want to ride this bike, I just steal the wheels off of my geared 29r.
    The frame itself has been great. The bike responds quickly, accelerates and climbs great. I never feel like it is too stiff, which is what all of my Mary riding friends said the Ally would be.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

JJB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don`t have the Ally but I ended up with that same wheel(another story). I am having trouble with that same wheel. A friend is telling me to take it to the bike shop and see if they can put Lock Tite on the spokes when they balance it..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just got a leftover '09 last weekend and I'm liking it a lot. I'll get a sus. fork soon, but it's not too bad as-is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here's my Ally!

mtbr member
    Nice! Enjoy the ride.

O.T
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is there any big differences between this and Haro Mary? Looks like similar products (?)

mtbr member
    The Ally bikes have alloy frames and the Mary bikes have cromoly steel frames. The geometries are nearly identical to each other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So, has anyone weighed the Ally ss wheelset ('09)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikracernc
    So, has anyone weighed the Ally ss wheelset ('09)?
    I would like to but I can't find anybody strong enough to pick it up on to the scale
    (its heavy)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

uh-oh

Okay,
    Now I'm having the same wheel problems mentioned above (several spokes are loose and wheel is offset to the left. Jill, are you aware of other cases, or are these cases isolated to just a couple? I sure don't want to buy a new wheelset. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Okay,
    Now I'm having the same wheel problems mentioned above (several spokes are loose and wheel is offset to the left. Jill, are you aware of other cases, or are these cases isolated to just a couple? I sure don't want to buy a new wheelset. Thanks!
    Have you taken the bike to your local Haro dealer to have them take a look at it?

mtbr member
    Okay,
    What sort of riding do you mostly do? Also, is it a group of spokes coming loose or are all the spokes coming loose? Have you trued the wheelset since riding the bike a few times? The wheels will break in, and will probably need to be retightened after a few heavy rides. Its not a high dollar wheel set, so those things my need to be taken into thought.

Im riding the exact same wheel set and havent had this problem yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by killn
    What sort of riding do you mostly do? Also, is it a group of spokes coming loose or are all the spokes coming loose? Have you trued the wheelset since riding the bike a few times? The wheels will break in, and will probably need to be retightened after a few heavy rides. Its not a high dollar wheel set, so those things my need to be taken into thought.

Im riding the exact same wheel set and havent had this problem yet.

I never had the chance to true up the wheelset on mine. The back wheel was damaged on the very first ride.
    On my wheel, it was a group of 5 or 6 spokes that came loose. Very loose.
    As I said before, the whole wheel is offset to one side as well.

I know its not a high dollar wheel set, but I have seen lower quality wheels last much longer. These things are garbage and Haro needs to find a new wheel builder.

mtbr member
    Stuff happens...sometimes it has a good explanation and other times it doesn't. Our factories generally have a pretty good track record, but the occasional slip-up happens from time to time given the volume we do. We're happy to correct the glitches our factories make as long as it's clear that the product wasn't abused and it's within the scopes of our warranty.

If your wheel came loose the very first ride, we'd recommend that you take the bike back to your local shop and have them contact us on your behalf. Under normal riding conditions, 5 to 6 spokes should not come "very" loose.

mtbr member
    So to put a period on my Ally experiences......

I took my Ally back to the original dealer for warranty on the bent wheel. The warranty guy at Haro is declining everything.
    Additionally, while checking out the wheel with the shop mechanic, I pointed out how close the left side chain stay is to the tire. Much closer than the right side chain stay. Even with a straight wheel put in the frame, I heard the tire hitting the chain stay under heavy torque loads. My wife's Ally frame is the exact same.
    The shop mechanic brought this up with the Haro warranty department as well. Haro's response is that they are allowed a 3 - 4mm tolerance in frame construction. The deviation of the chainstay is right at 3mm, so no problem according to Haro

Expect to see these bikes hit Craigslist soon. I will go somewhere else for a new SS.
    And I will never buy Haro again.

O.T
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality
    Expect to see these bikes hit Craigslist soon. I will go somewhere else for a new SS.
    And I will never buy Haro again.
    I don't think Haro is selling singlespeed MTB anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No they are not selling ss anymore, but Haro uses WTB wheels as a lot of other bike co do also.. WTB wheels that came on my Ally where not rideable out of the box and I could not get then as good (stright) as I wanted to get them, The deviation of the chainstay is
    about one mm so I got lucky. it's a comfy bike to ride and I do like it but when I got it
    I already had new all about the WTB wheels being junk.

I think; Haro might need to give the qc dep a kick in the a** when it comes to the wheels that are comming out of the box to the dealers. I was bulding Haro bikes and the first thing I did was take the wheels out and true them so that we had less problems later so when people brough thier bikes back for the 30 day free tuneup it went well but when did not
    spend the time tighting the spokes we had bikes coming back with shot-out! rear wheels that you could never get stright again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Haro Ally Ss

In Case Anyone Was Still Looking.
    Here Aer Some Pics Of My Ally, Its Set Up For The Street And I Love It!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro Ally 29'ers Experiences/Owners!-haro1.jpg  

Haro Ally 29'ers Experiences/Owners!-haro2.jpg  

Haro Ally 29'ers Experiences/Owners!-haro3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anxbody knows the weight of 2008 Ally frame? In L :-) ? Geared version.

Of course if you have S or M weights, pls post them since it is a good indicator.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I looked at a "new" (I think its an 2009) 18 inch Haro Alley yesterday at a bike shop. The mechanic put it on the scale and it weighed 27 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0