mtbr member

Fork Replacement For Werx Xls

instead of overhauling my manitou black super air 100, i would rather get a new fork. i am in the valley of the sun in az, so it's rocky and technical. i also feel that the front end is still a little twitchy...i attached a shorter stem and it helped. i was thinking about sticking w/ manitou suspension and trying to find a minute 100-130 online (cheap!). any suggestions or experience? how much did it change the feel of the ride by going to a longer fork? i know it will slow it down a bit. anything by fox or marz. (i've been loyal to manitou but have ridden some of the marz. - 29 mar., older bombers on stinky's, drop offs, etc.).
    i just purchased a coilair so i have time to shop around and find a good deal. just like getting my werx for 1600, i couldn't pass this deal up!
    thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm running a marzocchi mx pro on my werx five (or have been since I since my Minute in for warranty work). The Marzocchi is very good and cheap, about 120mm which should lighten up that twitch. The Manitou minute (3) is much lighter, slightly longer travel, slightly less reliable (though service is top notch). Both are really nice forks, maybe spv rear and front would make a good match (you have the swinger 3-way right?). Greenfish sports has good prices for minutes and mxs at the mo. I've got the werx xls too, but had to give it to my wife because it was a bit small for me (got the last one), cool bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    good thing you posted this. i have a sonix vl120 and i am going to try to start upgrading. hydralic brakes, seat and anything else you guys suggest i would appreciate it .
    i want to upgrade the fork first and i want to stay in the 100mm since thats the way it was designed. i was thinking about the manitou 3:00 any suggestions?

mtbr member
    You'll find everyone has a different opinion on forks and what brand/model you should go with. Forevery person who says, "I like Brand X's fork". you'll find there's someone else waiting in line to say, "Man, I had one and it sucked". It's sort of a personal choice. I personally have had really good luck with RockShox and Fox shocks. I run a RockShox Reba SL on my Sonix and love it. Just like most things in life, the more you spend, the better upgrades you get like lighter weight, better adjustments, yadda, yadda, yadda.

There are tons of fork reviews in the product review section here on MTBR.com...check them out and that should help get you going in the right direction.

Good luck!