Thread: Fork Advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Fork Advice

Been looking at upgrading my front fork. A friend of mine has a BARELY used RockShox Tora SL. My flightline came with a Suntour so this will be a huge upgrade.

Problem: My steerer tube is 9" exactly. His is 7.5". Will the Fork still work? I plan on just buying a headset that will offset the inch and a half loss. Any other issues I may run into or should I just buy new?

My fork now is only 75mm of travel and I want to run 100mm of travel. I know that changes Geometry but I could make the forK 85mm if the handling goes to garbage.

ride hard take risks
    Depends on the steer tube length if he has spacers that equal more then your height your good to go.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Im confused. He measured the steerer tube off the bike with no spacers. I did the same.

I know my bike NOW has spacers and that I could take those spacers off to lower the stem. He had the steerer tube cut for an exact fit for one of his bikes with no spacers. The stem is in a fixed position.

mtbr member
    If the fork is your friends and he's local, install the fork and see if it fits. My guess is it may be too short...unless you have 1.5" of spacers you can remove AND you can find a headset that has a much taller stack height.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    he isnt local. about an hour away. Flightline 3dx has the stock stem with spacers with the stock fork. With the 9" tube there are spacers that can be removed. Would a new stem be able to make up for the loss?

mtbr member
    A lower profile stem might take up some of the space, but likely not enough. I'd try to work out something with your friend where you can try to install it on your bike first before buying it. An hour away might be worth it...if you buy the fork and it doesn't work out, then you are out the cash you paid unless you can resell it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am just going to buy a new fork. The bike was only 500 bones, no reason to put a 300 dollar fork on it. May put a Dart 3 or something on it, anything would seem better then that Suntour. Hahahahaha

ride hard take risks
    The frame you have is a great frame to build up on, like anything it depends on how you plan on riding.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The frame you have is a great frame to build up on, like anything it depends on how you plan on riding.
    Ive been riding the sh*t out of my Haro. I ride at least 4-5 days a week and ten miles or more each ride. Im not as fast as everyone, but I clear almost any obstacle in front of me. Id rather clear the technicals then bomb downhill. Bombing downhill is fun too though.

I am buying a nicer bike in a few more months with nicer components on it. Im going to stick with a HT and my Haro now will just be my second bike. I still need to upgrade the rear brakes to hydros (the front are and I will never go back). After putting a new fork on my bike I will be finished. I do wish I could have gotten the Green color but I do love my Haro. Ive been eyeballing the FS Haro's but I LOVE my HT and just do not NEED a FS.

I do not do any DH or anything but the mechanicals that came with it are garbage IMO. The bike has been great and for an entry level, it has taken a beating and begging for more. Awesome bike for the money.