mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New question here. Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice

I've been a longtime mountain biker (mid 90's), and am just getting back into it after a very long hiatus when I was essentially 'given' a full suspension Haro.
    Glossing over the un-important details, I helped out a friend and they basically gave me a bike that was in their garage as a thank you. A quick google search leads me to believe it's an X2, probably 04 or 05. For whatever reason, the previous owner (friend's son?) rattle-canned the front triangle and fork.
    Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice-photo.jpg
    It's totally rideable, and actually shifts and rolls well after some lube and a screwdriver, but if just feels 'loose' and dusty.
    I'm seeking some knowledgeable folks to help me sort out the bike and get it up to snuff again without spending a bunch of money.
    The drive-train, wheels, BB5 brakes and cockpit are sorted well enough for me. I can do those adjustments/repairs myself.
    I think the fork is original equipment, a 150mm Stance (blunt?). It feels that way, the bushings feel kinda sloppy even though the action itself is fairly plush. What's the best course of action for this fork? rebuild it, or trash it and find an upgrade? I would especially appreciate someone who knows this fork to chime in here. I'll happily provide pics if asked.
    The rear suspension is a mystery to me. Two things primarily: The coil-over x-fusion shock feels terrible on anything that isn't a pretty big hit. Fist sized rocks are terrible, curb-sized hits are 'ok'. knee-high drops are actually pretty good. I haven't tried bigger than that. Is the #550 spring too much for me at 150 in ride-kit? Would replacing the spring and/or whole shock benefit the ride? I'd probably seek out something used or budget for around $100-150.
    The other part is when hitting those fist sized rocks, the bike sounds like a toolbox full of rocks and wrenches thrown down some stairs. maybe that's an exaggeration, but it is really noisy. I've lubed and inspected all the pivots and they seem tight and in good condition. Can't identify what's actually making the noise. My previous ride was a hardtail. I know the sound of chainslap. I don't believe this is that sound. Could it be the spring in the shock rattling on the collar?

Lastly, the Ritchey headset seems like trash to me. I opened it up to grease it and now if I get all the play out of it, it drags, or it turns freely and has a hint of play in it. replace, or do I just need to adjust it more carefully? it doesn't appear to be damaged upon inspection. I almost feel like this could be contributory to the general noise of the bike.

I sincerely appreciate any advice/help that is provided. Browsing the forum here, I see there's lots of folks with experience on this bike, and are largely happy with it. Initially I think it's a pretty good bike, hoping to fix it up so I can 'love' it.

Edit: just looked at the shock, its a #750 spring, not 550.
    Last edited by ARandomBiker; 08-10-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    With a 750 spring you riding as if you don't have any suspension - it is waaaaaaay too stiff for your 150. My knowledge about X-Fusion shocks and forks is highly positive - they work better than Fox for less money. What's the shock - old Vector?

Here what would I do:

1. Fork and shock - full service
    2. The Manitou Stance Flow wasn't a good fork - I'd recommend to change it to something that actually works
    3. Go over all the bearings and regrease them
    4. Open the BB, possibly replace it.
    5. Tighten all the screws and the bolts.

This is only tip of an iceberg. The limit is only your budget. You can do it into 27.5 wheels, you can do anything you want with this bike

mtbr member
    ^^ Solid advice there. X-Fusion does make some legit forks. Do maintenance as suggested above. However when it comes to upgrading the fork and what not you are going to have to weigh the value the bike has for you. You can really get wrapped up in some coin when it comes to replacing forks and shocks.

It looks like a pretty clean bike even with it being rattle canned. If the headset is giving you fits replace it. You can snag a FSA for 35ish at your bike shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    LoL. Man...I guess better late than never, posting for posterity.

I wrestled with that hunk of crap for 6 weeks with no one answering my questions. Over time I stripped the paint off the frame and polished it with steel wool, repacked and tightened the pivot bearings and serviced the headset. Previous owner had both bearing cages in upside down, which is why it wouldn't tighten up. I should have paid more attention when greasing it.
    I bought an X-fusion o2RL shock off ebay and mounted that.

The overhaul and new shock did a good bit for the ride, but it was never what I would call nice. plus it weighed 34 lbs.
    After 5-6 rides I knew this was not a bike I wanted to ride due to my 31" inseam clearing the toptube by about an inch even though the length was fine with a 20mm setback post and an 80mm stem.
    So I salvaged the wheels off the bike because heavy and cheap as they are, the Alex rims were tubeless friendly and seated nicely with the bargain bin Performance "Forte" brand rubber. They're backup wheels now.
    I took the Truvativ riser bars off to give to my wife's hybrid bike.
    The BB5's and levers are in a box with the bottom bracket and the chain rings, but the cranks are gone because the drive-side pedal threads were cross-threaded and stripped.
    The fork is sitting in the corner of my garage. I can't bring myself to throw it in the trash, but I can't in good conscience sell it and allow anyone else to risk their life riding it.
    The frame, shock seatpost and headset went on CL for $50.

They're someone else's problem now.

I used a local Facebook group to secure an appropriately sized pristine Cannondale Prophet and built that. The original owner bought an 05 leftover in 08 for his wife. she rode it a few times, and in '11 was convinced to part out the Lefty and both wheels, leaving the frame with SI headset cups, a 'Pushed' Fox RP3, XT e-type FD, and X7 RD/shifters to be wrapped in plastic and put in a frame box. I picked it up and bought the remaining parts for it, but sadly no Lefty fork yet.

mtbr member
    Wow! Post a pic of that if you don't mind! I was wondering if the bike was worth all the effort. I started riding 2 years ago on a Target Magna that I bought for $50. It was a heavy pig too. No matter what I did to it you just can't polish a turd. I finally like you got another bike and sold the Target bike at our Garage sale. I wanted to just give it away. But the wife was adamant on selling it. Low and behold some old man gave $40 for it. I feel sorry for whomever got it and is riding it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice-image.jpg
    Probably the only photo I have of it.

Stripped and polished, with a self-vulcanizing pipe wrap chain protector.
    To be fair, if it had a better and lighter fork, and maybe better wheels, it would probably drop 3 or so lbs and be a nicer bike.
    The x-fusion shock was pretty decent. It's not plush, but it's linear and predictable. and inexpensive.
    I would have been much more interested in keeping it if it had 3" less TT height. Maybe a small size frame would have been the ticket, but then the TT reach would be too short. Oh well.
    The guy that bought it was 6'3" #250 and cracked the headtube/downtube weld on his.

I should add: I sold the frame with the coil over shock with 750lb spring, a glyde-R. I kept the almost new O2rl.

mtbr member
    Very nice! It didn't look too bad with the setup you did to it.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Oops, that was my mistake... Being a non-American, I've read the date as Oct 8, and not Aug 10 ))))))

Nice thing you did to this bike. Sold from what I understand, right?

O2 is a nice shock. It needs to be tuned to the spot, if properly tuned, it gives a very decent ride, better than stock Fox RP.

Haro Shift R5 was my first bike, so I have a soft spot for Haros, I suppose. That's why I still haven't sold it, and actually making plans for upgrading it with some leftovers from my main bike. So I found this thread interesting.

mtbr member

Re: Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice

Funny you mention a Haro. I've been building up my singlespeed recently. 22.70# Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice-uploadfromtaptalk1413148900145.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice

Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    Funny you mention a Haro. I've been building up my singlespeed recently. 22.70# Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1413148900145.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	930645 Extreme X2 (?) seeking advice-uploadfromtaptalk1413148970186.jpg

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I'm not a fan of rigid ss (it's too hardcore for me)))), but this one is a beauty. So clean and simple lines. Hope you ride it. ))))