mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Building up an X6... Need fork help!!!

Hi,

I picked up an x6 on CL for $120 and I'm in the process of a total overhaul. Avid Juicy 5 brakes, Hussefelt crank, X9 derail, Sun Double Track wheels, Swinger x3 rear (7.875" x 2.25)... which brings me to the fork. It had a Suntour Duro D fork, but i want something more plush. In my basement I already have a Marzocchi 66 (180mm travel) and a 55 (160mm travel).

My question is... will the 66 be overkill. I'm looking to make the bike into a light freeride bike to compliment my Norco A-line PE DH. Also, is there a way to get more rear travel??? Maybe an 8" rear shock???

Thanks in advance...

tchach11

mtbr member
    Hey Tchach11,

The x6 is set for 200mm shock with 50.8 travel in the rear. Changing this will change the ride although possible, it is most likely not recommended. The bike came with a 140mm travel or 160. You may be able to run the 180 but I would check the feel first, it might ride really sluggish.

The x7 ran a 180mm fork but it had a 67 Degree headtube angle as opposed to the slacker 68 on the x6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Change the stroke of the rear shock. A longer one will not fit. I've been running mine with a 66 and a 7.78" x 2.5" shock. Gained a .75" of travel in the rear. No problems what-so-ever. I loved it for DH and FR. I ran it 7" in the front and 6.75" in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can't even find a 200mm with a 2.5" stroke... What shock are you using? Do you find the rake too much... I installed the 66 and it seems too lazy. I'll try to post a pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here's a pic with the 66. It's pretty laid back, will that present a problem? Stress on the headtube? Is it okay to have 7" in the front, 6" out back??? How bad could it be?

Thanks.

Photobucket