mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Beginner + Escape 8.1=??

Hi all, I'm considering the purchase of an '05 Escape 8.1 as my first real mountain bike...what do you all think? I'm mainly going to be using to get to some college classes and some singletrack/slight downhilling on the weekends...is the Escape going to fit my needs? Will I be able to use it to its potential? Also, what size frame should I be looking at? (5'10" and 160 lbs).

Thanks in advance! This site has been so helpful!

mtbr member
    If you are planning on doing more aggressive type riding, the Escape will be fine for you. Just keep in mind that it's really not designed nor will it be terribly comfortable for long cross-country type of trail rides.

If you are 5'10", I'd say a medium would be good for you.

Unfit Norwegian

ZeroEight frame sizes. (Att: Downhilljill!)

I too am wondering about this. Or almost. My LBS has some 06 ZeroEights in stock, and I'd like one as a get-more-comfortable-with-jumps-and-drops-bike, but the sizes confuse me, as I haven't got any experience with this street/dirt thing.

The sizes are: 14"=Small, 16"=medium and 18"=large, right?

I'm comfortable on my 71/73 degree XC bike with 580mm ETT, and am surprised to see that even the 14" Eight match this top tube length, but I guess the low seat tube angle will do that. My gut feeling says Medium, but should i get the Small to match my gravel bike's ETT instead? I guess this dirt bike uses a shorter stem, so a bit longer ETT would be OK. Besides; one doesn't spend much time on the saddle on these bikes anyway, right?

So: Medium or (more flickable?) Small for me? I'm a tad over 5'8" with a 31.5" inseam.

mtbr member
    If I were you, I'd buy the small based on your height. For play bikes that you'll be doing some jumping and urban-type stuff, you'll appreciate have a smaller bike. Much better standover and more flickable (as you say).

Just to give you an idea, Eric Porter (one of our slopestyle guys) is over 6 foot tall and he rides a 12" frame.