Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Another Sonix frame FAILURE!

On a ride today this happened on the first section of an easy doubletrack at Memorial Park.
    06 Sonix VL-120, failure occured at the exact same spot as the others. Will be taking it to the local Haro dealer tomorrow to see what can be done and will update thread as I get information.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have a look at your new frame when you get it. The last one I got had an extra weld around where yours is broken. It should prevent this from happening again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1977
    Have a look at your new frame when you get it. The last one I got had an extra weld around where yours is broken. It should prevent this from happening again.
    Oh cool I'll be sure to take a look. Thanks for letting me know

mtbr member
    Was it an "extra" weld or a rewelded frame that was previously cracked? An extra weld will do nothing to help the problem if it's a design problem that is causing the frame to crack. In fact it would probably make it worse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My replacement frame had an extra piece of tube at the bottom, doubling the thickness in that area. It was about one inch high.

mtbr member
    My replacement frame had an extra piece of tube at the bottom, doubling the thickness in that area. It was about one inch high.
    I see. So it was reinforced.

What bothers me is when a company knows there is a problem, finds a fix for it, yet continues to say they don't have a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi, can pls post a pic of the extra tubing piece or reinforcement. I want to know if mine has also. Been using my sonix quit hard and I'm afraid now this might happen to me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I dont have any pics. It broke the week that I was going interstate to do a race. I needed a bike so I bought another type. I sold the replacement when I got it back from the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    I see. So it was reinforced.

What bothers me is when a company knows there is a problem, finds a fix for it, yet continues to say they don't have a problem.
    Yes, we had a few 1st generation Sonix frames crack. Not all, just a few. Since we take pride in offering a quality product, we found a fix for it which involved reinforcing the frame.

I don't see how fixing a problem is a problem....

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    LoL obviously spends too much time on the couch watching TV and not playing in the real world.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    LBS saids no response from Haro on this. Without my bike for 3 weeks and now I am back at work/school. My 3 week vacation was spent without my beloved Sonix. I am starting to get a little aggravated because of the lack of response from pretty much everyone (LBS and Haro). Not sure who is at fault, but at this point I just want my bike back in its original shape so that on my day off I can ride...
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 06-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Get in touch with Haro so that they are on the same page as you. This way the ball keeps rolling. You seem to be open minded not pointing blame without knowing but your patients is wearing, cant blame you but hang in their.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/subNav3.php
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate
    LBS saids no response from Haro on this. Without my bike for 3 weeks and now I am back at work/school. My 3 week vacation was spent without my beloved Sonix. I am starting to get a little aggravated because of the lack of response from pretty much everyone (LBS and Haro). Not sure who is at fault, but at this point I just want my bike back in its original shape so that on my day off I can ride...
    What shop are you working with? Honestly, it's not like our warranty dept to just not respond. Our guys are totally on stuff like this as long as the dealer reports it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Yes, we had a few 1st generation Sonix frames crack. Not all, just a few. Since we take pride in offering a quality product, we found a fix for it which involved reinforcing the frame.

I don't see how fixing a problem is a problem....
    Fixing the problem is the right thing to do. Charging people hundreds of dollars for a part that was defective is not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    LoL obviously spends too much time on the couch watching TV and not playing in the real world.
    You don't know me so don't make assumptions.

Look, I'm not trying to put down Haro here. However, replacing these broken frames out of warranty for no cost would be the right thing to do. The frame had a defective design yet customers are having to shell out hundreds to fix it. Doesn't seem right to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    What shop are you working with? Honestly, it's not like our warranty dept to just not respond. Our guys are totally on stuff like this as long as the dealer reports it.
    Sun and Ski Sports in Webster, TX. The manager (Robert) of the bicycle department there said that there has been no response from you guys. He also said he was going to call on Tuesday afternoon and find out where the new rear triangle is for my bike. I asked him to call me after he found out what the ETA would be. He has not called since.

I think that I should have taken my bike to Webster Bicycles instead, but they are not listed as a Haro dealer on your site.

I am hoping to hear something soon, but at this point I am not holding my breath.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate
    Sun and Ski Sports in Webster, TX. The manager (Robert) of the bicycle department there said that there has been no response from you guys. He also said he was going to call on Tuesday afternoon and find out where the new rear triangle is for my bike. I asked him to call me after he found out what the ETA would be. He has not called since.

I think that I should have taken my bike to Webster Bicycles instead, but they are not listed as a Haro dealer on your site.

I am hoping to hear something soon, but at this point I am not holding my breath.
    Will you PM me your contact information? I'd like to have our warranty dept contact Robert and Sun and Ski, but we need to know your name and contact information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Jill I sent you a PM. Thanks very much!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Welcome to the club=]

Does anyone know what a used '06 sonix front triangle is worth?
    I would say it was in good shape, size LRG. with very little scratches and no signs of cracking or damage.
    Ballpark is good since I don't have pix.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ok my bike was ready yesterday,but because of my schedule I couldn't pick her up until today. Now it's raining, with a slight chance of hurricane lol. At least it gives me some time later on this week after working 12s to put on the new saddle and clean her up!

I would like to thank Jill for getting everything moving along! Good looking out goddess of Haro and the Haro forum! I would also like to thank Adam from the warranty department and Haro. Along with Rick the mechanic and Robert the manager at S&S.

I was also told by Robert that Haro is sending me out a goody bag of some sort although it didn't arrive with the rear swingarm. He said it may be coming directly to me. I didn't ask for anything but my bike, but it's really cool of them to do that.

Here they are together again!

ride hard take risks
    Whoott thats awesome!!!! I'll be praying for clear weather so you can ride again, ride on!!
    Formotion Products

too cold to ride
    I have an 06 that hasn't had an issue yet - do I stand pat or has there been some sort of recall? I'd hate for the frame to fail out in the woods...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    I have an 06 that hasn't had an issue yet - do I stand pat or has there been some sort of recall? I'd hate for the frame to fail out in the woods...
    You have been riding a bike for 4 years with no problem why start worrying now???

Their is no recall, recalls are put into effect when their are same failures happening to a major number of a product. If their is a known problem on a particular product the manufacture will usually send out a customer service letter about a product update.

Keep on ridin on
    Formotion Products

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    You have been riding a bike for 4 years with no problem why start worrying now???

Their is no recall, recalls are put into effect when their are same failures happening to a major number of a product.
    I'm the second owner of the bike, and have had it about a year. I ride it hard, the previous owner never took it off the sidewalk.

I likely wouldn't be aware of any recall unless I heard it here. I'll keep an eye on the weld, just in case.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No new rear tire no care!

BTW, presta valves suck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast