Three sheets to the wind

.357 Nine update-pay attention Jill H.

Well I spent a few hours at Plattekill on opening day with my new 2006 .357 Nine (medium) and was pretty happy with it. I'm coming off of an Iron Horse SGS DH Pro and the first thing I noticed was that the Haro is a lighter and faster bike. I feel as if I fit on the bike better with good F/R balance, I like the BFL brake levers and the ride is purrfect. One thing I had to do yesterday was stop at e-13 and upgrade the LG1 chain guide to a Supercharger/SRS bashguard, other than that I'm quite content. I expect I'll do some damage to the wheelset but I believe that is the part of the operating costs in this sport. One thing is for sure, it will take a while for me to build up to the ability of the bike. And the biggest bonus for me was I got the bike for under 1700 bux, new at the dealer!!! Peace!
    Last edited by Bawitdaba; 05-08-2007 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Glad to hear you are enjoying your .357! Post some pics when you get some.

Three sheets to the wind

One thing I forgot...

Hey Jill, on the rear brake line, as a result of the suspension flex, it has slack which makes it bend in to the spokes on the rear wheel. I used a nylon tie and secured it to the brake rod. Is that going to be OK???

mtbr member
    Quite honestly, most people have just removed the brake arm and ordered a fixed DO kit from their dealer. The brake arms do flex and sometimes make noise. If a zip-tie is fixing the flex issue, I'd say run with it. Worse thing that could happen is tie will break and then you just install a new one.

Addicted
    May 2006
    This is a little off the subject, but I have to ask. We tried ordering a .357 for a customer a while back and were told that the bikes had be discontinued. Will there be a new bike to replace it in '08?

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No 2007 or 2008 model.

Three sheets to the wind
    Why???!!! This is a great bike!!!!! Will Haro have something to replace it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think due to the market trend in mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert
    This is a little off the subject, but I have to ask. We tried ordering a .357 for a customer a while back and were told that the bikes had be discontinued. Will there be a new bike to replace it in '08?

-Kevin
    Yes, the .357 line has been discontinued. They appear in our print catalog (decision to cut was made after catalog was on press), but not online.

Right now, it is unlikely that we'll be replacing it with something similar in 2008. Unfortunately, demand was somewhat weak for that bike, so it made it really hard for us to meet the minimums the factory requires to make them. Why was demand so weak? Beats the heck out of me because those bikes were well spec'd and proven by both Cody Warren and Mick Hannah on the DH race circuit. My personal belief is that it has a lot to do with the shrinking race scene (at least here in SoCal...aside from Fontana, there's not much going on. My guess is there are similar trends across the country) and land use issues. Many resorts have banned DH bikes and many local shuttle-able trails have been shut down. And with gas hovering at an all-time high, the costs to shuttle and get to resorts that are still open is much,much higher than it used to be.

Shop *****
    Yeah, out here in VA, the trails are pretty much illegal... The local gov't. is too conservative to allow a non exercise bike park... There's a BMX track in woodbridge, but that's about it...
    Too bad, because I was considering at .357 if I got into DH Racing, but if there's going to be no support/no new updates to it.. I might talk myself out of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Yeah, out here in VA, the trails are pretty much illegal... The local gov't. is too conservative to allow a non exercise bike park... There's a BMX track in woodbridge, but that's about it...
    Too bad, because I was considering at .357 if I got into DH Racing, but if there's going to be no support/no new updates to it.. I might talk myself out of it.
    Most large manufacturers of mountain bikes are affected by this shift in trend, we know US is one of the largest market, if the downhill trails will not be allowed in parks, therefore everyone of us is affected.