mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2005 66 vf on 2005 haro x2

as i do mostly freeride and street riding nowadays, would this be a better fork than the stock stance blunt (150mm)?

the 66 vfit has a 20 mm axle and 170mm travel,i am guessing it would be better, but i am i little worried about the slacker angle that the bike would be in.

im thinking it would be nice for descending...of course i would loose in xc because of weight and head angle, but i already know that.

has anyone tried this or has knowledge of a similar set up?

is there any trouble i dont know?

what about the vf valving?

im told that its a bit simple valving...is there any down side to it?

good riding,

Marcolino

mtbr member
    The Marzocchi 66 would be a HUGE upgrade over the stock Stance Blunt that comes on the X6. But you are correct; it does have more travel than the 150mm Blunt so you will be slacking up your head angle and raising your front end and BB in the process. It sounds like you already know what you are getting into. I put a 203mm Boxxer on my X7; it was great for DH but not much else since it really raked out the front end and changed the ride height.

I don't have any direct experience with the Marzocchi 66; we've never spec'd it on anything nor have I ridden one. Friends who have really love it, though.

mtbr member
    Why don't you look into the Marzocchi 66 SL 1 ATA. I am thinking it is 140mm to 180mm, best of all worlds. I guess price might be a kicker, but if you wait till the end of the season, I am sure they will go down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    first thanks for the replys, dhjill n dingleberry,

yesterday i almost lost my head, because i found this promotion on the fork i mencioned.

the day before i had riden a 05 66 rc on a mondraker level and i found it very interesting.

so i saw this deal on a shop i know, and i started wondering...

on that shop they also have one 2006 boxxer ride, that i think it would work perfect.

theres this haro guys i ride with and loads of them have boxxers, one actualy has an 06 ride. they love them forks...eheh

what happens is that i can afford them, but probably it would leave me bankrupt for a while, so unfortunately, i have to delay this buy... .

ps-i forgot to mencion that my stance blunt isnt stock anymore, it has been pimped 2 months ago. .
    enduro fork sealed n converted to open bath lubrication...It actually works very well. store bike upside down, and when i pick it up it runs smooth as new. Problem is i wish it was 20mm on axle and plus on the travel....
    i should shut up and ride, dont you think? ehehe

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    05 66 RCs can be swapped down to 150mm by swapping some spacers under the cartridges. Don't bother with the VF if you actually do a lot of trails. The fork uses the same ol' dampening as forks like the old dirt jumpers etc. The only way to really do anything about the compression/rebound rates is to tinker with weights and volumes of oil. Even then the fork will pack up over repeated hits. The RC uses tried and true HSCV dampening which provides the feel most people associate with quality Marzocchi suspension.

I ran an 06 66RC2X and absolutely loved the fork (not on an X6). Keep an eye out for left over stock on 05 66RCs as there are still some floating around. Either that or perhaps find a clean used one.

Good luck,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks for the reply chris!

i was also wondering if the vf would worth it...

i know that the rc (hscv) is better...it would be just right! i need good ground tracking...

for now i just dont have the , but ill be looking anyway...

thanks people!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I run a Ride on my Sp180 (x.7) and Love it. Got it for about $400 so it did not break the bank. Adjustable from 133mm to 178mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    that is a nice price atenciole...
    but even on sale,here it gets at 525 , in dollars its even more...

400 would be better, ehehe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check Ebay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good idea!

thanks atenciole!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Marcolino,

I thought I'd chime in again on the forks. I picked up a Fox Van36RC2 to replace the 06 66RC2X I had on my hardtail. The new fork is going on an 04 Extreme that I ended up keeping after all, so I'll be sure to let you know how it works out. Anyhow, the point I wanted to make is that people are starting to unload "previously loved" 36 Talas forks at reasonable prices since the 08s will be here in a couple of weeks. If you don't need the travel adjust of the Talas, used 07Van36RC2s are running in the $450-550USD range on Ridemonkey etc.

I've ridden some Rockshox forks with the Motion Control dampening, and they are nice. This is the same platform you'll find in the newer Boxxer Ride setups as well as the Domain 318 which come in around $550USD new through online retailers in the U.S.

Good luck with it,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks chris,

but for now i must stick with the setup as it is...

when i come back to this things, ill let you know...

thanks everybody...

of course the topic shouldnt end here! if anyone want to give us a thought, please do....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Broke
    Marcolino,

I thought I'd chime in again on the forks. I picked up a Fox Van36RC2 to replace the 06 66RC2X I had on my hardtail. The new fork is going on an 04 Extreme that I ended up keeping after all, so I'll be sure to let you know how it works out. Anyhow, the point I wanted to make is that people are starting to unload "previously loved" 36 Talas forks at reasonable prices since the 08s will be here in a couple of weeks. If you don't need the travel adjust of the Talas, used 07Van36RC2s are running in the $450-550USD range on Ridemonkey etc.

I've ridden some Rockshox forks with the Motion Control dampening, and they are nice. This is the same platform you'll find in the newer Boxxer Ride setups as well as the Domain 318 which come in around $550USD new through online retailers in the U.S.

Good luck with it,
    Chris
    How did the fork work out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Can't tell ya yet. I'm waiting on a new spring for my rear shock, and a couple other odds and ends. As soon as I get it all together, I'll get pics and feedback posted up.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Chris