a.k.a. BicycleKicks

2004 XLS R7 shock mounts not aligned

I removed my rear shock to replace the shock bushings and hardware after I noticed the rear triangle rattling a bit and sure enough the bushings were worn. Unfortunately I discovered the reason for this is very bad alignment between the shock mounts. When I removed the hardware from one end and slipped the shock out of the mounts, it sprung off badly to one side. I didn't measure, but it's probably 1/4" to 3/8". This placed quite a bit of uneven force on the bushings I would think.

Considering the age of the frame and the fact that nothing "failed", this isn't a warranty issue, but it's certainly a sloppy welding issue. The frame had about 2000 miles on it.

I've never taken other frames apart like this, so I can't say if that poor alignment is unusual or not, but I'm guessing that higher quality (i.e. more expensive) frames would not have this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this with their frames?

mtbr member
    The pivot yoke and swingarm upright are pretty stiff. I doubt that that misalignment contributed much to the bearing life, but it's possible. I would suggest replacing the bearings and pivot axle and then see where they shock lines up against the shock mount on the top tube. It could be straight on (or pretty close to it) with new hardware. If it's still not straight within a couple mm's, it may be possible to trim down the shock mount hardware a mm or so and add it back to the other side in the form of a washer. Kind of mickey mouse, I know, but sometimes, it's pretty effective if all the other aspects of the frame are straight. A shop should be able to diagnose and solve the problem pretty easily (I would hope). After 2000 miles there's lot of variables as to why the shock is not aligned perfectly. Post your findings after installing new axle and bearings.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm about to change the bearings on my Haro as well. Are there any directions that can be downloaded on how to do this. Do you need special tools to remove the pivot axle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbatl
    I'm about to change the bearings on my Haro as well. Are there any directions that can be downloaded on how to do this. Do you need special tools to remove the pivot axle?
    There is a tool that will help remove the bearings that you could get from a dealer, but I find that if you have a vice, it is just as easy to remove and replace the bearings with a nice vice. As for removing and installing the pivot axle, I thread in a bolt into the end of one side of the axle and with a dead-blow hammer, tap it out and back in.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you very much for the directions. This is really very helpful.