mtbr member
    Nov 2004

2004 Haro XLS R7 vs. 2005 Haro Shift R5

These are basically the same bike just branded differently. The frame is slightly different on the '05s. I could not find much good info on the new Haros online. Thanks for your help.

2004 Haro XLS R7 (lists at $1700, I think I can get it for ~$1400)
    -better components
    -same frame geometry
    -spd pedals

-older frame design

2005 Haro Shift R5 (I think I can get it for ~$900)
    -more travel
    -~2 pounds heavier (I think. Cant find the weight on the new R5)
    -All the bike I need for ~$500 less.
    -when lower end components break I can replace with better

Any input would be great. THey still have an 04 XLS R7 in stock in my size. Couple more days till the 05 Shift R5's show up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    are you my long lost twin brother?

i am looking at the exact same issue. The Sun and Ski near me has the 04 r7 in my size. I also looked at the 04 R5, but I don't really like red too much. That 05 blue R5 is sexxxy! so, what to do.. I would need to put another 100 or so into the 05 R5 to get it to where i want. (bar extensions, SPD, wedge, blinkie), but that r7 is sooo sweet. I rode my buddie's R3 a few days ago and it felt smoking fast on the anthills. I can only imagine with better components, or things that worked fully correct. This particular R3 had a run in with a firehydrant.... So, let me know what you decide, we are in the same boat...

-mudmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    These are basically the same bike just branded differently. The frame is slightly different on the '05s. I could not find much good info on the new Haros online. Thanks for your help.

2004 Haro XLS R7 (lists at $1700, I think I can get it for ~$1400)
    -better components
    -same frame geometry
    -spd pedals

-older frame design

2005 Haro Shift R5 (I think I can get it for ~$900)
    -more travel
    -~2 pounds heavier (I think. Cant find the weight on the new R5)
    -All the bike I need for ~$500 less.
    -when lower end components break I can replace with better

Any input would be great. THey still have an 04 XLS R7 in stock in my size. Couple more days till the 05 Shift R5's show up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Update.

ok, they got the price down, to 1299$ on the r7. I couldnt refuse, and I have no regrets so far. this is an amazing value for the dollars, and is a very easy bike to control thru the nasties.. Just get the r7... I think you might like it....

-Luis

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmonkey
    ok, they got the price down, to 1299$ on the r7. I couldnt refuse, and I have no regrets so far. this is an amazing value for the dollars, and is a very easy bike to control thru the nasties.. Just get the r7... I think you might like it....

-Luis
    Smokin Deal!! Still lookin at the r7. Good move jumpin on it at 1299$ Was that with tax? I would go 1350$+tax for it. Still thinking about it. We will see on Monday if the beast is still there

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

The R7

nope, with tax it was $1407. so far after a few rides, I only have a few small gripes that could be addressed.

1- front brakes squeal, need adjusting/cleaning

2- rear dera. is a bit off on the mid- high gears.

3- I have already have had 5 flats on the rear, I think its something on the inside rim. I took a look and couldn't see anything, so maybe its just bad rimtape or whatever... either way, the shop gives lifetime maintenance, so its not a big deal.

these are minor, and can be adjusted, so overall, I would definitely reccomend this bike to anyone out there looking for a good xc. just a great deal.

-happy_mudmonkey

enjoying the kool-aid
    I've read many people complain about the rims that come with many Haro bikes having burs in them... causing many, many flats. I'd think though since you seem to have taken it in each time that the shop should be able to find them and get rid of them... maybe they already have.

I just picked up a 2004 Haro Werx frame off ebay... hopefully I'll get it tuesday and start building it up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, I just said f' it and bought the r7 Did not get as good a deal as you did but this particular bike has upgraded wheelset. XT hubs, not sure what kind of wheels. LBS owner said they came off a Blur they were trying to get the price down on. They swapped the wheels off the haro.

Either way I am happy. Great LBS with lifetime service and a kick ass bike. I am pumped.

Let me know if you find any good info on the r7