Myspace is lame.

17.5" Haro Extreme X3 frame suitable for 6'2" rider?

Im 6'2" (roughly) going on 185 lbs... found an amazing closeout at a local LBS on a 17.5" haro extreme X3 frame. For someone with experience, will this suit me comfortably for freeride/downhill?

Thanks
    All your bases are belong to us!

ride hard take risks
    I would say no, at least a 18.5 :frown2:

Myspace is lame.
    darn... I want the frame badly... but no use if it is too small.

hmm.

mtbr member

Good job!

In my personal opinion this bike should be fine. Im 6,3 and i ride a 17" kona stinky 06 which fits me fine. Although every bikes cockpit is diffrent, my advice would be to go to you LBS and test ride one at that size.

Myspace is lame.
    well the specs of the 17.5" are as follows:

Top tube length: 23.0
    BB height: 13.2
    Wheel base: 43.0
    STandover: 30.0

The specs seems like they favor for a larger size but I may be wrong...

Myspace is lame.
    After comparing the specs of the 17.5" haro X3 with quite a few other specs of 18-19" frames, the measurements vary slightly.

The differences in top tubes have been varied by +.2-.9" in the larger frames, and the standover varies anywhere between +.5-2.0"

are these slight variations majorly crucial? what can I expect rfom a slightly smaller bike?

mtbr member
    Theres no set rule that people of certain hight chose certain sizes. It will allways come down to weather u feel comfortable riding a particular size. for example you may feel very tight in the cockpit, and you may have to get use to a lower center of gravity.

Myspace is lame.
    Thanks for your input... there really isnt much of a difference in the 18-19" specs... as far as standover, is that the ground clearance from the top tube?

noob
    Jan 2006
    go ride it. I have a trek liquid in the 19" size and I'm 5'11", the bike just felt right....although the standover is a little dicey
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

mtbr member
    simply,,, yep,,

Myspace is lame.
    problem is I can' t ride it... it is a frame only, and they do not have assembled in the shop. Maybe I can ge ahold of another haro (like the werx, almost same frame) thats built and try that out... we'll see.

Im not really worried about comfort... truthfully my 19.5" hardtail feels like it could be better if it was a tad smaller (like ST, and maybe TT). Although HT's may be different in sizing... It can give me a good idea.

ride hard take risks
    Im 5'7 & ride a 17"

Myspace is lame.
    actually my Eff. TT on my hardtail is 23.00 as well. Maybe the X3 could work out well...

Meh.
    Haros seem to run large. The Escape hardtail I built out of spare parts was a small, but it fit me perfectly, and I'm a bit over 5'8". There's a Haro thread from a while ago, and I believe most other riders also came to the same conclusion.

Myspace is lame.
    I think I might go for the frame... I'm not too worried about the ST height... but I want to make sure the TT height will work. My Hardtail like stated above is 23.00 TT height which is the same as the Haro. I am very comfortable with my hardtail except I really would rather have the ST height a tad lower (its at 19.5 now). So there really isn't too much reason to believe the frame won't work well. Especially if the haro's run large like Will stated above.

Ima sleep on it.

Thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    There is a big jump in size from medium to large Haro's. We have a Werx7 from last year in our shop in Med. and a guy a bit taller than you is wanting to buy it. I really think that the medium would suit fine for FR/DH riding. I'm assuming here that you're looking at an 05 X3, since I don't remember seeing it in your post.

No e-drama please!!
    Don't ever get anything "smaller" with an ACTUAL center2-center TT length of 22.5" @ 6'2" tall.
    I have had SEVERAL bikes & that is pretty much the smallest you can do at 6'2" tall & normal proportions..
    I prefer larger frames from experience with longer TT length & slacker HA...
    My HARO WERKS DSR has a 22.5" actual TT length & it's a little cramped feeling..
    My Trek 6700 XC frame has a actual TT length of 23.75" & it's awesome.

You have to watch :ACTUAL vs. HORIZONTAL TT length measurements..

Actual is along the metal of TT c2c to ST.
    Horizontal is from the center of HT to ST in a horizontal line not along the metal of TT but to seatube with seat up !
    I had a Haro Extreme X.1 2003 in LARGE & it was great for everything except lowering the seat really low due to the ST was 19.5" tall....

*(My perfect ride would have a 23.75" TT with 50mm stem & 18" tall ST.)
    Last edited by freerider33; 07-31-2006 at 11:26 AM.
    DEMO8
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Bianchi SASS