mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Pivot Mach 5.5 vs GG Shred Dogg

So starting to research my next bike and down to a couple choices. Anyone have experience/ridden both a Pivot Mach 5.5 and a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg? Both bikes seem to be pretty similar in purpose with exception of one carbon fiber vs the other being aluminum. I really like the looks of them both and pricing in the same ballpark for the builds I would be interested in. The Pivot $4,899 for the 1x XT race build and $4,540 for the GG in the build I chose(Ride 1 with a few upgrades). I would be in for tax also on the Pivot, but perhaps not on the GG since it would be ordered online from out of state.

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and I know the Mach 5.5 was designed in part for the styles of trail around here, South Mountain in particular. The Shred Dogg seems pretty well suited to the same types of trails. I hope to be able to demo both bikes in the near future to help with the decision, but I wanted to pick the brains of anyone that might have experience with both bikes. Any feedback on either bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

always licking the glass

Pivot Mach 5.5 vs GG Shred Dogg

I have a shred dogg: have a shred dogg that I'm currently running now as a megatrail and I'll give you some insights on that. For pivot, I was looking at them as an option for a plus hardtail but they're out of the running now.

The shred dogg is a neat little bike. It has two modes: trail (135mm) and gravity (145mm). The difference is the bike shifts slacker(gravity) or steeper(trail) by a 1/2 degree in its head angle/seat angle by changing a bolt.

I've done full trail rides on both trail and gravity mode. I use gravity mode primarily unless I'm doing a long climb. You basically get two bikes in one, and support a company with US made bikes. Obviously you can go up and down in both modes, and I've taken long DH sections in trail mode unintentionally and the bike handles fine.

Another plus with the shred dogg: you can buy a shock for it that will turn it into a megatrail.

The shred dogg in gravity mode was surprisingly easy to pedal and yet the most fun for me. The bike will not hold you back, and has gotten me out of a few sketch situations.

I can't comment on the Mach 5.5, but I'm disappointed with Pivot. I like CC (I had a Titus back in the day when he was running it at their peak), but it looks like they're throwing a lot at ebikes now :/ I had a LES in contention for a plus hardtail but that's out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What little research I've done on the GG sure does make me think it's got huge potential, especially since it's at a really good price point compared to the 5.5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I have a shred dogg: have a shred dogg that I'm currently running now as a megatrail and I'll give you some insights on that. For pivot, I was looking at them as an option for a plus hardtail but they're out of the running now.

The shred dogg is a neat little bike. It has two modes: trail (135mm) and gravity (145mm). The difference is the bike shifts slacker(gravity) or steeper(trail) by a 1/2 degree in its head angle/seat angle by changing a bolt.

I've done full trail rides on both trail and gravity mode. I use gravity mode primarily unless I'm doing a long climb. You basically get two bikes in one, and support a company with US made bikes. Obviously you can go up and down in both modes, and I've taken long DH sections in trail mode unintentionally and the bike handles fine.

Another plus with the shred dogg: you can buy a shock for it that will turn it into a megatrail.

The shred dogg in gravity mode was surprisingly easy to pedal and yet the most fun for me. The bike will not hold you back, and has gotten me out of a few sketch situations.

I can't comment on the Mach 5.5, but I'm disappointed with Pivot. I like CC (I had a Titus back in the day when he was running it at their peak), but it looks like they're throwing a lot at ebikes now :/ I had a LES in contention for a plus hardtail but that's out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear from a Shred Dogg owner. Yeah, the two different modes is a big plus for the GG. Also the fact that you can turn it into a Megatrail by switching out rear shock is pretty awesome too. Considering you have two modes for each bike, kinda like 4 different bikes. Not bad to have all those options just by adding an extra rear shock. Just out of curiosity, did you go with a 150 or 160mm fork for your Shred Dogg?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What little research I've done on the GG sure does make me think it's got huge potential, especially since it's at a really good price point compared to the 5.5.
    I totally agree. If I went with the raw aluminum finish on the GG instead of one of the powdercoat options, I could save another couple hundred dollars on it. That would put it $1,000 cheaper than the Pivot by the time you added the tax for the Pivot. For me, that's very significant.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm in Phoenix and was recently in the market for a shorter-travel trail bike to pair with my coil'd Nomad. I'm moving away from 29ers for a bit.

I previously owned a Megatrail and have nothing but great things to say about GG. Awesome company.

When the Mach 5.5 was announced, I was stoked. Did a 3-day demo mostly on SoMo. At the end, I guess I was less stoked. Nothing wrong with the bike, but found myself between sizes (L was a touch small, XL is huge). I'm generally a SRAM/Rockshox guy and don't care for most of the Pivot builds, particularly the Fox 36 fork, which I just don't like.

Quick bike, good climber, more plush than you'd think. Still, I just didn't gel with it.

I ended up grabbing a closeout Ibis Mojo HD3, which turned out perfect for my needs.

If I was down to the two bikes you listed, I'd buy the GG.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I can't comment on the 5.5, but my Shred Dog is a pretty amazing bike. The steep STA helps a lot on climbs and it seems to rocket up hills. Being a Horst-link, maybe it wouldn't appear on paper to be a great climber compared to a DW-link bike, but I don't feel that it gives up anything on the climbs.

Cornering is nearly telepathic and it just wants to rail every turn at full speed.

Descending feels very playful and I'd call the suspension more sporty than plush. A better shock than my RS Deluxe would likely give a smoother ride though.

Really steep and chunky terrain feels easy with the Shred Dogg and I find myself riding more steep features with greater confidence than I have with other bikes.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Rocks belong
    ^^^Curveball nailed the ethos of GG bikes
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    I have no time on either, but have a V1 Megatrail and a Trail Pistol. I'm sure the Pivot is a sweet bike, and I personally can't comment on how it rides or the company on the whole. One of the many great aspects about GG is you get exactly what you want. Nothing is worse to me than dropping 5K on a bike and then having to change out parts, or be stuck with a component you don't like. Not too many bike companies can offer their level of customization. Factor in great post purchase support and the rider program and it really makes sense. I believe they will be in Sedona in November, but not sure if its a demo or not. Great bikes, great people.

always licking the glass
    My bike is an XS. They flipped the top tube to have it so i have standover. I've been alternating it between shred dogg and megatrail this summer. I'm 5'4" so I'm on the fence between small and XS, but small felt too big.

I don't really start trail riding to the fall. I've been DH riding on the weekends, first half of DH season on this bike until I got a DH bike.

It does wonders. I plan on taking it to Moab next month as well as much local trail riding as I can tolerate.

I have coils for both Shred Dogg and Megatrail. I tend to destroy air shocks, so I take the weight penalty with coil. Either feel fine on the bike: air for more of an xc feel, coil is more plush.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Great to hear all the positive feedback for the Shred Dogg. I did email GG with some questions and they replied very quickly. They did say they could bring a Shred Dogg to Sedona when they come. Now just gotta save some money...

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by ericridebike View Post
    Great to hear all the positive feedback for the Shred Dogg. I did email GG with some questions and they replied very quickly. They did say they could bring a Shred Dogg to Sedona when they come. Now just gotta save some money...
    Yeah their CS is top notch. And Matt (GG engineer) posts here regularly.