Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My small MT frame is for sale over on pinkbike if anyone's interested. Can't wait for my SS!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Figured i'd share my experience this past weekend. I have a megatrail with a 11-6 and I always just run it in the gravity or trail mode and never mess with the front shock bolt for super gravity and super trail. This past weekend we rode Tamarancho which has a lot of climbing with technical bits. I have to say in the super trail mode with the shock in DH mode it was amazing how efficient the bike climbs and scales up the technical bits compared to the normal trail mode. Also, on the down hill sections by having the bike in Super Gravity there is so much more pop and playful nature while still sucking up the hits and keeping your speed up.

I'm even more impressed with the bike now, I was contemplating getting the carbon patrol for a lighter build since mine is 32 lbs. but after this weekend I cant foresee me taking the chance and not having the versatility that this bike has.

mtbr member
    Push is supposedly pretty close on the ElevenSix, and there are more options just around the corner.
    Thanks to you I think we just got quite a bit closer!

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170130_124323_106.jpg

Darren

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    That looks correct. ^^

mtbr member

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?

Anyone looking to unload their used OG Megatrail 11.6 ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Oh my! The new mega looks like a great replacement for my old mega. That 11.6 looks soooo right. When are you doods headed to moab again? Id love to throw a leg over some of the new bikes.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Oh my! The new mega looks like a great replacement for my old mega. That 11.6 looks soooo right. When are you doods headed to moab again? Id love to throw a leg over some of the new bikes.
    We have a new Outpost in Moab, Bike Fiend, with a fleet of demos on order. They're on Center St, a block East of Main St/Hwy 191.

Their fleet should be there in March, I believe, but feel free to hit them up and ask about riding a GG bike.

I'm with stupid
    You guys ever make your way with a demo down to the springs? I would love to throw a leg over one in the canyon on local stuff I know to compare.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    You guys ever make your way with a demo down to the springs? I would love to throw a leg over one in the canyon on local stuff I know to compare.
    We'll be doing more front range demos this year, so yes. Keep an eye on RideGG.com/events for the schedule.

You can also swing up to Denver and demo one whenever you want. Just give us a call to reserve the bike you want to ride before heading up here.

mtbr member
    I really love those nice alloy frames - I can totally see my next frame being a Megatrail!

I have a question regarding the GG website/frame geometry though:

They quote "REACH" values could seem longer, because of the steep seattube angle.
    "** Please note that with a steeper seat tube angle reach numbers may seem longer compared to the "average" reach numbers of other bikes. For further sizing advice, please email us."

In my understanding REACH doesn´t have anything to do with seattube angle - the REACH measurement was created to give an orientation with fit when you´re standing up and riding, right?

Somehow I am missing something. And I´d love to learn what!

cheers
    Znarf

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think he meant the reach seems long in relation to the effective top tube measurement. The steep seat tube creates a shorter ETT while the reach remains long.
    Last edited by marti163; 02-05-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    I really love those nice alloy frames - I can totally see my next frame being a Megatrail!

I have a question regarding the GG website/frame geometry though:

They quote "REACH" values could seem longer, because of the steep seattube angle.
    "** Please note that with a steeper seat tube angle reach numbers may seem longer compared to the "average" reach numbers of other bikes. For further sizing advice, please email us."

In my understanding REACH doesn´t have anything to do with seattube angle - the REACH measurement was created to give an orientation with fit when you´re standing up and riding, right?

Somehow I am missing something. And I´d love to learn what!

cheers
    Znarf
    Seat tube angle and reach are related via cockpit length. We steepened the actual seat tube angle for even better climbing, and less cockpit length change as the saddle is raised/lowered. And, to keep the cockpit from feeling like a t-rex bike, the reach had to increase.
    The note is there to explain not to look solely at the reach number, as it doesn't tell the full story. The reach by itself seems long compared to other bikes, but you're sitting further forward, such that the butt-to-hand measurement is very similar to the first gen Megatrail.
    It's similar to when the first gen Megatrail debuted, we had to explain the longer cockpit length that was designed from the beginning for short stems. Here we are again with the new steep seat tube geometry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Matt, what is the deal with the rear wheel offset and using one's own wheelset - does the rear wheel require a re-dish to take advantage of the offset? I've got a frame order in with you guys and my wheel guy has my wheels right now so want to be sure to ask him to do that if needed.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc383 View Post
    Hey Matt, what is the deal with the rear wheel offset and using one's own wheelset - does the rear wheel require a re-dish to take advantage of the offset? I've got a frame order in with you guys and my wheel guy has my wheels right now so want to be sure to ask him to do that if needed.
    The hub is offset 3mm to the drive side in the frame, so the rim gets offset 3mm towards the brake side. The new owner's manual will be on the website at the beginning of March, but in the mean time, the wheel setup is the same as the Trail Pistol. See page 8: https://ridegg.com/Shared/images/tra...ers-Manual.pdf. For the new Megatrail, I copied and pasted that page, so it's literally the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    The hub is offset 3mm to the drive side in the frame, so the rim gets offset 3mm towards the brake side. The new owner's manual will be on the website at the beginning of March, but in the mean time, the wheel setup is the same as the Trail Pistol. See page 8: https://ridegg.com/Shared/images/tra...ers-Manual.pdf. For the new Megatrail, I copied and pasted that page, so it's literally the same.
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. This could be pretty useful to make more obvious for those buying frame only...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've built 2 rear wheels (one for plus, one reg tires) now in preparation for this new frame and have to say that the whole 3mm rear offset thing should be highlighted a bit more. My assumption, especially after building the wheels is that the motivation behind it is even spoke tension. I have built a lot of wheels, but I have never been able to use equal spoke tension on drive and non drive sides until now! I haven't received my frame yet but I am very excited to ride this thing!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yep, the rear wheels are pretty strong with the new setup!

Rocks belong
    Yep, the rear wheels are pretty strong with the new setup!
    How does the 3mm offset play with asymmetrical rims?

EDIT: What I mean is that it seems they're both working to achieve the same thing, so A+B = 2A? (Or C??)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wonder, is it enougt place for 29x2.25/2.3 wheel in Megatrail SS?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    How does the 3mm offset play with asymmetrical rims?

EDIT: What I mean is that it seems they're both working to achieve the same thing, so A+B = 2A? (Or C??)
    Spoke tensions are still roughly equal. I just built a set of 29er wheels with Asym i35's for my personal Pedälhead, and rear spoke tensions were roughly the same side to side. Whether the spoke holes are centered on the rim, or offset a few mm, they're all within a few mm of centered over the rim flanges.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    I wonder, is it enougt place for 29x2.25/2.3 wheel in Megatrail SS?
    Yes. The SS wasn't designed for 29ers, but you can fit a 29x2.3. The BB height ends up taller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes. The SS wasn't designed for 29ers, but you can fit a 29x2.3. The BB height ends up taller.
    It is cool. I think SS is the best alternative to CB Riot.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to contribute to the Megatrail love over here. Just a quick vid of us (and trail pups) on one of the trails we've been working on for years. Both riders on first generation MTs (one 26 and one 27.5), follow cam is (ironically) on a Following. Can't get over what a fun bike this is--only thing I'd sell if for is to get a V2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    Just wanted to contribute to the Megatrail love over here. Just a quick vid of us (and trail pups) on one of the trails we've been working on for years. Both riders on first generation MTs (one 26 and one 27.5), follow cam is (ironically) on a Following. Can't get over what a fun bike this is--only thing I'd sell if for is to get a V2.

You guys are in the Triangle area yeah? I recognize that trail.

My MTSS frame will be here today, I'm in Durham. We should get up and ride, been looking for someone to follow over those jumps for the first time.

mtbr member
    We are out there all the time--come say high. Got another buddy with an SS en route as well--looking forward to drooling on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Another question about the 3 mm hub offset. I read that this can usually be accomplished with a full turn of the drive side nipple. Is this the case with asymmetrical rims as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Another question about the 3 mm hub offset. I read that this can usually be accomplished with a full turn of the drive side nipple. Is this the case with asymmetrical rims as well?

Yes. Keep in mind it is an approximation to give you an idea of how much movement is needed.

One note, you tighten the non-drive side nipples, not drive side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Copy. Non drive side. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    Nice work!

mtbr member
    Gave my v1 a refresh of sorts... carbon hoops, rebuilt post and fork, and tuned the Monarch + for a better platform and more compression dampening. Still really love this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    NICE Kragu! I've been on my Trail Pistol for the past few months almost exclusively, but man I jumped back on my OG Megatrail the other day and I love it as much as I did the day i bought it!!!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Weight

Weight of med MTSS vs. lg Bronson CC including shock, headset and hardware.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170122_183301-collage.jpg

Pretty competitive for aluminum IMO. Unfortunately my frame had a freak warranty issue but should have new one built up by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Damn, what happened jcc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Unless I hear of it happening to others I'm going to keep it off the interwebs. An honest mistake happened I think, but GG did a fair job dealing with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Arrival

A box arrived, looking good so far

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-gg-box.jpg

Let me unpack this, on that's getting better

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-gg-mt.jpg

On any metric, this is going to be a great bike. I can't wait to use all of that 165mm travel up, many times over.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-gg-shock.jpg

Great job GG, nicely made with an amazing finish.

Thank you Matt, Thomas and Will. I'm loving the exceptional GG service and the seriously good product.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Oh hell yeah!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks good,with the double barrel. Man I'm getting excited.

I'm with stupid
    I'm a Canfield fanboy, however part of me wishes I would have seen the new one of these before I bought my balance. I need to ride one soon seeing as how you guys are right up the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    A box arrived, looking good so far

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GG box.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1123930

Let me unpack this, on that's getting better

Name:	GG MT.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1123931

On any metric, this is going to be a great bike. I can't wait to use all of that 165mm travel up, many times over.

Name:	GG shock.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	1123927

Great job GG, nicely made with an amazing finish.

Thank you Matt, Thomas and Will. I'm loving the exceptional GG service and the seriously good product.
    What's CCDB Coil size ? It's not a metric ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep, 230 x 65mm.

I have a second coil and a spacer, then it can be a 230 x 57.5mm as well for SS mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yep, 230 x 65mm.

I have a second coil and a spacer, then it can be a 230 x 57.5mm as well for SS mode.
    Thanks !!! Great news !!! It doesn't appears on CC website..
    Hope see pics of final build soon !!!

mtbr member
    Yep, 230 x 65mm.

Did you get the CC handlebar mounted climb switch? Nice call doing the second spring and spacer. Two bikes in one!

mtbr member
    Yep, 230 x 65mm.

Tell me more about this option. Custom spacer or something CC offers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi NC. It is a standard CC spacer, applicable to old or metric shocks.

The beauty of the CC design is that it is a twin tube damper, unlike anything else, so it can be made into what ever you want pretty much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How's the Super Deluxe coil ride? Worth the extra weight, and how does it climb?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also are you able to post the $$ for a customer to purchase a SD coil from you guys for a Megatrail v2 that was just delivered?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Also are you able to post the $$ for a customer to purchase a SD coil from you guys for a Megatrail v2 that was just delivered?
    Man I kinda want both shocks too.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Give us a call on the Super Deluxe Coil

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Give us a call on the Super Deluxe Coil
    Called yesterday and switched to the coil. Say if you are in Sedona, sneak over to the MRP tent and swipe a Ribbon for my bike, haha.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TugboatComplex View Post
    Called yesterday and switched to the coil. Say if you are in Sedona, sneak over to the MRP tent and swipe a Ribbon for my bike, haha.
    Obviously you enjoy fun

I got a sample Ribbon on my Trail Pistol. It's good.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I'm a Canfield fanboy, however part of me wishes I would have seen the new one of these before I bought my balance.
    What I think is cool is the ability to have all of that rear travel when you want it (say, lift accessed or other suitably chunky rides), but to be able to change it so that you don't have to live with all of that rear travel on a daily basis.

There are times where I'd love a Nomad and there are plenty more times where I'm happy to have something sprightlier.

The V2 looks cool in my book. Can't wait to throw a leg over a buddy's.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Got my SS built up over the weekend and had it's first ride today. A few thoughts:

The frame is a work of art, and every decision seems to have been made thoughtfully. I'd take well designed external cable routing any day, and GG's routing is the best I have seen. The bottle cage location is great as it is higher up and easier to reach. The NUTS bracket is a great touch. The frame is STIFF, stiffer by far than the Bronson which granted always suffered from loosening pivot bolts, and it is totally silent. Overall I'm just very impressed with the frame.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170305_154137.jpg

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170305_154147.jpg

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170305_154303.jpg

The SS leverage curve is as they describe it, sporty and playful, not at all linear. I need to play around with spacers and air pressure, but it is great for extra credit features and such. Coming from a Bonson v2 it is more supportive and progressive but obviously the trade off is less comfort and stability in lower speed rocky sections. Gravity mode makes an immediately perceptible difference in the suspension feel. I rode about half my ride in gravity mode and I'd say I like the geo of trail mode but the suspension action of gravity mode. It is really cool to have both of these available. I am sure with the removal of a few spacers I can get trail mode to feel a bit more forgiving, but this is just personal preference. Once up to high speed the suspension feels great.

Overall I'm very pleased and looking forward to tinkering with this thing for a few years. I'll be acquiring a 230x65 damper to use it in full on smash mode at some point. From a value perspective, GG offers a compelling proposition. A well-designed frame welded in the US that can morph from a short travel play/trail bike to a big mountain or park bike with a few steps in between. There were a few hiccups in the delivery department but I chalk this up to a growing company refining their processes. They were always available and solved all issues in a fair manner.

Cheers.

Edit: one thing that I found out the hard way but is not published by GG - oval chanrings 32t or greater will not clear the chainstay, at least not on XT M8000 cranks. Just FYI.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    That's awesome. For suspension tuning, we've found air pressure changes of even 5psi can make those last fine tuning bits. Measuring sag in seated climbing position, our recommended baseline is 27%, but if you're looking for softer, I'd try a little more sag (up to 30%) before trying less air volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That's awesome. For suspension tuning, we've found air pressure changes of even 5psi can make those last fine tuning bits. Measuring sag in seated climbing position, our recommended baseline is 27%, but if you're looking for softer, I'd try a little more sag (up to 30%) before trying less air volume spacers.
    Since the new spacer system is so easy, I went ahead and pulled one out and set it right at 27%. There were only two in there. I'll see how it feels and add it back in if necessary.

Need a digital shock pump!

mtbr member
    Any pics of Teal is Real?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Congrats on bike of the day jcc!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_3594.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy View Post
    Any pics of Teal is Real?
    This is a trail pistol. This color isn't on the options currently though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Congrats on bike of the day jcc!
    Thanks dude! Funny to me they picked my budget build - must be the slick MT frame. The raw alu just looks so good...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love that colour, that looks fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just to add fuel to the fire jcc, my new MT is in raw and running your hand over the frame feels amazing. Very earthy, connected, visceral.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Since the new spacer system is so easy, I went ahead and pulled one out and set it right at 27%. There were only two in there. I'll see how it feels and add it back in if necessary.

Need a digital shock pump!
    Super dumb question BUT- To add /remove spacers, you just air down the shock, unscrew the main canister, slide the spacer in, and re- screw the can back on- correct? SRAM doesn't have any info on its website, at least I couldn't find any.

Thanks!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    Super dumb question BUT- To add /remove spacers, you just air down the shock, unscrew the main canister, slide the spacer in, and re- screw the can back on- correct? SRAM doesn't have any info on its website, at least I couldn't find any.

Thanks!
    Yep. The new system is awesome.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    On Teal is Real, it's not on the current options list, but if you want it, let us know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post

Thanks!
    Yep - like Matt said, so much easier. No more removing the outer air sleeve. Can do it with the shock on the bike.

William, I agree. It's a great material and finish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Teal color is very cool

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Finally have the MT built up, took a long while, frustrations with local suppliers, some parts not available, wrong parts being supplied, being sent back and resent and on it goes.

Time to reveal the big bike, great to have a big bike again actually.

Decided to take the covert lines:
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-mt-bush-2d.jpg

Only because it is dangerous out there:
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-mt-dangera.jpg

Had a shakedown run, bike felt great. Happy how it pedaled out and along. Small bump was excellent, don't know why...maybe I do. Low key trails, but the few fast bits I traversed were an excellent prelude.

It turns really well and rips out of the corners - some oh yeah smiles where had. Trail riding bumps all disappeared, bike gobbled it up and said to me "are you serious yet"... Yes, the GG's talk to you. You need to ride one.

Off to some steep stuff tomorrow more in tune with the bikes intent, and a few jumps and high speed sections. Feel a sense of fear already, but a greater sense of excitement - new bike pump. Not sure how I will sleep tonight.

Thanks GG, this is going to be a fun machine.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Hell yeah William. What did you do to get a 230x65 DB Coil, btw? Did you have somebody machine a longer eyelet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Matt,
    Because the CC is a twin tube damper, it is a do anything shock design. No internal restrictions to your imagination. So take a 216mm shock, a 242mm body and shaft, some shaft spacing and you can have what you want - to the mm. If you have a box of CC stuff, it's like a ladies mix and match sale mate. Lucky we have a registered CC and Push suspension shop with all the parts, tools and experience associated with our LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    William, that looks awesome! I'm pining hard for a Megatrail but it's going to have to be later in the season I think.

I assume your DVO fork is 160mm, have you figured out what the head angle is with the 160mm fork?

*Disregard that, I just found it on the GG website. Still hopelessly jealous, though!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Hi Matt,
    Because the CC is a twin tube damper, it is a do anything shock design. No internal restrictions to your imagination. So take a 216mm shock, a 242mm body and shaft, some shaft spacing and you can have what you want - to the mm. If you have a box of CC stuff, it's like a ladies mix and match sale mate. Lucky we have a registered CC and Push suspension shop with all the parts, tools and experience associated with our LBS.
    Ah, I figured it was something like that.

You forgot the step about having a beer in hand, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey lazarescu, thanks mate. It is actually the new boost DVO diamond, so it comes with 170mm travel.
    Perfect!
    Cheers W

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hey lazarescu, thanks mate. It is actually the new boost DVO diamond, so it comes with 170mm travel.
    Perfect!
    Cheers W
    Interesting! I didn't realise you could get Diamonds in 170mm. There are quite a few options out there now. I love the idea of the MRP Ribbon but I am worried about warranty and service options outside of the US so might have to go with the Lyrik.

Hopefully I'll get my chance to do some testing in Seattle in June, can't want to try a GG!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

First light

Well with a new bike, there's not much point in trying to sleep.

Especially when the goodness starts at first light.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-mt-first-light-.jpg

mtbr member
    Matt, what are you guys liking the MT/SS with in regards to rear shocks i.e coil or air?

You down with entropy?
    I did end up getting the V1 megatrail last fall. the bike has been awesome so far.So strange not having any other bike lust. Well maybe a V2 megatrail, but really love this one so much.
    So far southeast Michigan has been perfectly fine. I have also been to Marquette, Copper Harbor, Duluth and Pisgah. My second ride on the bike was the Marji Gesick 50 mile race in Marquette/Ishpeming. Worked great, zero regrets.

Currently thinking about a new rear shock. Some general questions on what coils people have ran. Right now they said they had a Vivid coil left. I was also thinking of a DVO jade or maybe a MRP Raze. So many choices. Right now I am running somewhere around 290 or so PSI so to get the right sag on my monarch+ so that is a pita, I was also looking for maybe some more pop (I still need to play with settings on My monarch plus too). I would love to go with a Push 11-6, but still no fatboy springs it seems.

Anyone have any time on a Vivid vs. DVO vs. MRP ?

You down with entropy?
    Quote Originally Posted by esilvassy View Post
    I did end up getting the V1 megatrail last fall. the bike has been awesome so far.So strange not having any other bike lust. Well maybe a V2 megatrail, but really love this one so much.
    So far southeast Michigan has been perfectly fine. I have also been to Marquette, Copper Harbor, Duluth and Pisgah. My second ride on the bike was the Marji Gesick 50 mile race in Marquette/Ishpeming. Worked great, zero regrets.

Currently thinking about a new rear shock. Some general questions on what coils people have ran. Right now they said they had a Vivid coil left. I was also thinking of a DVO jade or maybe a MRP Raze. So many choices. Right now I am running somewhere around 290 or so PSI so to get the right sag on my monarch+ so that is a pita, I was also looking for maybe some more pop (I still need to play with settings on My monarch plus too). I would love to go with a Push 11-6, but still no fatboy springs it seems.

Anyone have any time on a Vivid vs. DVO vs. MRP ?
    or CCDB coil with the climb switch..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Some early initial impressions, all I can say is that this machine is very fast.

Stable, rooted to the ground and to your chosen line. Crushing on the rough stuff.

One long sustained fast chute into a rough section - I usually hunt the smooth line and stay light on top, however throwing caution to the wind and testing limits while abandoning all sense of self preservation I simple charged down the high speed guts. The rough line is a straighter line and the MT ate it up and continued to add momentum and speed freely, no hang ups. Just bloody amazing.

Early assessment, subject to more testing and trail time, is that this has a downhill edge over a Nomad (having ridden a Nomad (170/163 FR) on the same trails before) . Of course it could be the honeymoon phase talking and I am just a little Megatrail struck at the moment.... typical honeymooner.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    Matt, what are you guys liking the MT/SS with in regards to rear shocks i.e coil or air?
    I think it depends on what you're looking for. I tend to prefer the small bump compliance of a coil shock and will take the extra pound with me up the hill. But, if you're looking for a lighter setup with a super poppy shorter travel feel, air is a good way to go.
    What's your riding style?

mtbr member
    I think it depends on what you're looking for. I tend to prefer the small bump compliance of a coil shock and will take the extra pound with me up the hill. But, if you're looking for a lighter setup with a super poppy shorter travel feel, air is a good way to go.
    What's your riding style?
    I've mainly been on a coil over the last 10+ years (old Kona Coiler that I used and abused). I mainly ride in our coast range in tight technical single track with lots of up and downs. I couple of time a year I venture out and got to Bend and the cascade mt. Range where the trails open up and are faster and flowy. If there's features to hit jumps, drops (<5') I'm all over them. I like to do some kind of race every year from a group 24hr, or this brutal grand fondo in WA with 9000+ feet of elevation gain and some epic downhills over 40 miles. I never done any lift assist as there's really isn't much around. I hope this help.

I'm really hoping to hit your demo in Oregon in June with Skye down out of Eugene to take a MT/SS for a spin.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    I've mainly been on a coil over the last 10+ years (old Kona Coiler that I used and abused). I mainly ride in our coast range in tight technical single track with lots of up and downs. I couple of time a year I venture out and got to Bend and the cascade mt. Range where the trails open up and are faster and flowy. If there's features to hit jumps, drops (<5') I'm all over them. I like to do some kind of race every year from a group 24hr, or this brutal grand fondo in WA with 9000+ feet of elevation gain and some epic downhills over 40 miles. I never done any lift assist as there's really isn't much around. I hope this help.

I'm really hoping to hit your demo in Oregon in June with Skye down out of Eugene to take a MT/SS for a spin.
    Coil is probably your best choice.

always licking the glass
    Got my SS built up over the weekend and had it's first ride today. A few thoughts:

The frame is a work of art, and every decision seems to have been made thoughtfully. I'd take well designed external cable routing any day, and GG's routing is the best I have seen. The bottle cage location is great as it is higher up and easier to reach. The NUTS bracket is a great touch. The frame is STIFF, stiffer by far than the Bronson which granted always suffered from loosening pivot bolts, and it is totally silent. Overall I'm just very impressed with the frame.

Name:	IMG_20170305_154137.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	1125002

Name:	IMG_20170305_154147.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	1125003

Name:	IMG_20170305_154303.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1125004

The SS leverage curve is as they describe it, sporty and playful, not at all linear. I need to play around with spacers and air pressure, but it is great for extra credit features and such. Coming from a Bonson v2 it is more supportive and progressive but obviously the trade off is less comfort and stability in lower speed rocky sections. Gravity mode makes an immediately perceptible difference in the suspension feel. I rode about half my ride in gravity mode and I'd say I like the geo of trail mode but the suspension action of gravity mode. It is really cool to have both of these available. I am sure with the removal of a few spacers I can get trail mode to feel a bit more forgiving, but this is just personal preference. Once up to high speed the suspension feels great.

Overall I'm very pleased and looking forward to tinkering with this thing for a few years. I'll be acquiring a 230x65 damper to use it in full on smash mode at some point. From a value perspective, GG offers a compelling proposition. A well-designed frame welded in the US that can morph from a short travel play/trail bike to a big mountain or park bike with a few steps in between. There were a few hiccups in the delivery department but I chalk this up to a growing company refining their processes. They were always available and solved all issues in a fair manner.

Cheers.

Edit: one thing that I found out the hard way but is not published by GG - oval chanrings 32t or greater will not clear the chainstay, at least not on XT M8000 cranks. Just FYI.
    You have me stoked. My XS SS is due in next month! I ordered raw, because I can't justify the cost of the teal. So I'll move over my parts from my other bike.

I opted for a 160mm Pike and a Super Deluxe coil to give it kinda a mini-DH/park/trail bike. Originally I was going to get a full strength Megatrail, but for the riding I do I just can't justify or think I'd enjoy 170 to 180mm of travel.

For me, I wanted somethinig more playful but feels more stable pointed downward. I test rode a friend of mine's XS full strength bike, and I have to tell you how bottomless the suspension felt. What else surprised me is how the suspension did not bob at all uphill, but felt pretty plush heading downward.

It also surprised me how easy it was to launch the bike. I think I got more height on the jumps on the megatrail on my first ride on it vs my HD3 which I ride all the time. I can't wait to get the SS. That's going to be so much fun! This is not a dig on the HD3, which is a more than capable bike, but I want something with less travel but feels much more stable pointed downward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think this might be my next bike when it becomes new bike season(likely end of summer.) Really psyched on the DIYness of the brand(as a bmx transplant) and am planning to pair it with a MRP Ribbon because 'merica.

Is anyone planning on going dual purpose? I'm wondering if it's a realistic option to get rid of my DH bike, run this in the full Mega mode with a coil and fork at 170, and then swapping the shock and bringing the fork down to 150 for normal trail use?

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by patnugent View Post
    I think this might be my next bike when it becomes new bike season(likely end of summer.) Really psyched on the DIYness of the brand(as a bmx transplant) and am planning to pair it with a MRP Ribbon because 'merica.

Is anyone planning on going dual purpose? I'm wondering if it's a realistic option to get rid of my DH bike, run this in the full Mega mode with a coil and fork at 170, and then swapping the shock and bringing the fork down to 150 for normal trail use?
    I was thinking the same thing, but you could fully do it with two shocks and two forks.

Use a 180mm fork for the DH in gravity mode, and a 160mm for trail use, and use the longer stroke for DH and the shorter one for trail.

But for me, I had to do the SS, which sounds more than capable for what I need, but I still have my Demo 8 for DH if I want to do bigger stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not yet, but that is my plan as well. Debating on waiting for CC to announce their metric offerings or grab a SD Coil from GG. Also considering scooping up a Helm at some point as I'm in NC and would like to run CC suspension, and it's very simple to change the travel.

I am enjoying the SS on local trails but will definitely want more squish for Pisgah. Gravity mode will probably suffice but the progressiveness of the linkage with a 57.5 stroke shock is significant.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

We have multiple folks doing that. It's one of the benefits of the modularity of the new Megatrail/SS.
    Changing fork travel for big weekends at a bike park is pretty straight forward on both the Rockshox and MRP forks. Rockshox Dual Position is as easy as turning a knob, and the Solo Air forks need a lowers drop and swap the bottom air shaft. MRP forks take a lowers drop and remove/add travel spacers. Or, if you want to keep one fork setup, 160mm travel works well all around.
    The dual shock setup is really easy to change, and pretty useful, imo. Lightweight, less travel for trail riding, longer travel coil sprung for when the going gets gnarly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I'm thinking of doing exactly this. Ordered mine with a coil but might also order the super deluxe air too. Going to ride it a bit first and see. Probably going to sell th DH bike too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm thinking of doing exactly this. Ordered mine with a coil but might also order the super deluxe air too. Going to ride it a bit first and see. Probably going to sell th DH bike too.
    I'm thinking when the time comes I'll go the other way, order a SS set to shred the trails and then at the end of the season decide wether or not to keep my DH bike, taking into consideration what I could get for it vs how many days I took it to the ski slopes.
    Having a dedicated DH bike still sounds nice because I am pretty hard on bikes, so it would be nice to not kill my trail bike by going to hard and pushing it a bit past the comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Fun times aboard the OG Megatrail.

always licking the glass
    I'm thinking when the time comes I'll go the other way, order a SS set to shred the trails and then at the end of the season decide wether or not to keep my DH bike, taking into consideration what I could get for it vs how many days I took it to the ski slopes.
    Having a dedicated DH bike still sounds nice because I am pretty hard on bikes, so it would be nice to not kill my trail bike by going to hard and pushing it a bit past the comfort zone.
    Same here. I've had a previous trail bike out of commission from riding it on easy DH trails. I'd rather not have an all in one bike because if it's down, yer not riding.

I like the idea of a short travel aggressive bike though for easy park like Trestle blue/greens/valmont/some trail riding and a DH bike for the bigger parks like keystone and angel fire.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

What do you need to do to convert the Megatrail to the SS. Is it as easy as shock swap?

Erik

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep - 230x65mm shock for 150mm travel, 230x57.5mm for 135. Gravity mode yields 165/145mm travel respectively.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Loving my MT

I have put a few more miles on the MT and we are getting along just great.

Our wet season started so that interrupted my riding plans a little but I did managed to head out into some steeper and faster country.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-mt-4.jpg

The MT is fine for plodding along but once you get some gravity under it, it really takes it up a notch and comes alive. It loves speed in gravity mode (who could have known that). Great fun, I can smash through some big stuff and yet it is definitely playful to, you can pop about. Fast and versatile. Unflappable.

Loving how it jumps by the way, really nice feel to doing jumps. Take off, air and landing all beautiful. There's an intuitive balance in there somewhere.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-mt-5a.jpg

I have a couple more DH trails and shuttle days planned and then I will swap it out to give the SS a try. I am just enjoying the big bike feel so much at the moment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Loving the all black and raw look with the coloured fork (and a hint of shiny on the CCDB) - looks ace!

mtbr member
    This makes this bike so versatile. Wow!!

GG,

Will hold off until June until your demo crew comes to the PNW but your bike just shot to the top of the list.

Air can for the SS.
    Coil for the MT.

Jack of all trades.

Erik

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Does anyone know what hub is used on the "DT Swiss Custom EX 511 Super Awesomes i30" wheelset?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    does anyone know what hub is used on the "dt swiss custom ex 511 super awesomes i30" wheelset?
    dt 370

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    dt 370
    Cheers! Can't wait to jump on a MT at Evergreen

Spin-stabilized
    So it seems like everyone likes the MT for new school trails and riding style. I got to demo one although very briefly. I really wish I was able to take it down some tight, no-flow/no-fall trails but I was chasing daylight as it were.
    Long story short, I'm a hair away from pulling the trigger on the megatrail but I'm wondering how people like it riding awkward, steep, technical , high-consequence stuff where a lot of body english and finnesse is required. Is the long wheelbase noticeable in these situations?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    dt 370
    I couldn't find the 370 on the DT Swiss website. Has anyone else found them?

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    So it seems like everyone likes the MT for new school trails and riding style. I got to demo one although very briefly. I really wish I was able to take it down some tight, no-flow/no-fall trails but I was chasing daylight as it were.
    Long story short, I'm a hair away from pulling the trigger on the megatrail but I'm wondering how people like it riding awkward, steep, technical , high-consequence stuff where a lot of body english and finnesse is required. Is the long wheelbase noticeable in these situations?
    Thanks!
    Honestly, I can't say I know because the trails in CO are different than NorCal, and I only rode it on some skills and test chunky areas besides the jumps. I can tell you it ate up anything technical I rode on, but that's mainly in the downward direction.

Are you talking more UC or more of Tahoe like trails?

CO trails are more open and rocky and less forested, but I think there's someone in NC who rides the technical forest there who could give you some more feedback on what you're looking for.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast