Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1453
    Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc383 View Post
    What LSC/rebound settings are you running on your SD coil? The starting point GG suggested to me was 1-2 clicks from full open on rebound, but I found the bike to oscillate significantly after a curb at that setting. Took it about 12 clicks in from full open to get that to stop.
    I would try that setting on the trail; 12 clicks in on rebound is going to reduce grip over chop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gotcha, somewhere in the middle is likely a good compromise. I can just see 1-2 clicks from open bucking after big hits, but will give it a shot.

always licking the glass
    What LSC/rebound settings are you running on your SD coil? The starting point GG suggested to me was 1-2 clicks from full open on rebound, but I found the bike to oscillate significantly after a curb at that setting. Took it about 12 clicks in from full open to get that to stop.
    Yeah, I found running all my suspension that open wasn't working for me. This is what I'm running after a few rides. The only thing I had to do was add a click of compression to the fork because it was diving on me in some high speed turns. All better now

My current settings:
    Fork (Lyrik 160mm)
    PSI 90
    Rebound 13 clicks from open
    Compression 6 clicks from open

Rear Shock (SD coil) for lift access riding:
    11 clicks from open
    Coil size 88 (500) x 57.5 Ė 65mm
    Almost no preload

Rear Shock (SD air)
    PSI 180
    Rebound 5 clicks from open

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Yeah, I found running all my suspension that open wasn't working for me. This is what I'm running after a few rides. The only thing I had to do was add a click of compression to the fork because it was diving on me in some high speed turns. All better now

My current settings:
    Fork (Lyrik 160mm)
    PSI 90
    Rebound 13 clicks from open
    Compression 6 clicks from open

Rear Shock (SD air)
    PSI 180
    Rebound 5 clicks from open
    11 clicks from open
    Almost no preload

Based on what Matt says, I may play with the rear shock, but I'll see how it goes when I hit the lifts this summer. The coil is too much for my regular riding.

I think as you go faster, you probably want to start dialing back some of the rebound dampening.

Matt: could you explain to us how this works as far as keeping the rebound dampening so little in the suspension? I like to have my fork match the rear, and the more I ride this bike, the more I want to understand it.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    11 clicks from open
    Almost no preload

Based on what Matt says, I may play with the rear shock, but I'll see how it goes when I hit the lifts this summer. The coil is too much for my regular riding.

I think as you go faster, you probably want to start dialing back some of the rebound dampening.

Matt: could you explain to us how this works as far as keeping the rebound dampening so little in the suspension? I like to have my fork match the rear, and the more I ride this bike, the more I want to understand it.
    You want the rebound set to return as quickly as possible after a compression, without feeling uncontrolled. If you run slower than that, the tire does not return to the ground fast enough after hitting a bump, which reduces traction and can make the ride harsh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just checked mine. I was running 11 clicks from open with a 350lb spring...gonna try less.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    Just checked mine. I was running 11 clicks from open with a 350lb spring...gonna try less.
    I'll tune mine on the easier DH runs next weekend.

Matt: thanks. Does this impact the fork settings too?

fraid of heights
    Any pics of large frame builds? (probably already looked at them and just didn't know it was a large? )

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    You want the rebound set to return as quickly as possible after a compression, without feeling uncontrolled. If you run slower than that, the tire does not return to the ground fast enough after hitting a bump, which reduces traction and can make the ride harsh.
    I think some of the discrepancy here may be related to typical trail conditions. On the east coast, especially in Pisgah, we have some extreme rocks that have to be taken at low-ish speeds. Running rebound too fast makes me feel like I'm being bucked on those sections. I ended up at 8 clicks from full open this weekend, but really only did one ride so still dialing for sure. I'll probably keep turning it back towards open until I hit the last click before feeling like it is too fast.

Example:

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170520_121140.jpg

I have to say running the SD coil was like night and day. I will not be putting the air shock back on the bike, even for tamer local trail rides. The LSC/threshold adjust makes the pedal/lock mode almost unnecessary except for fire road climbs. The extra weight is totally made up for by the fatigue saved on chunky DH.

Ended up at:
    180lb rider, 190-195lb with gear and supplies for a long day
    400lb spring, 2.25 turns preload for ~30% sag
    2 clicks from full - on LSC (will add a few clicks for local trails with less sustained climbing)
    8 clicks from full open on rebound

Bike feels so butter now. Couldn't be more stoked on the overall package.

Few more Pisgah pics:

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170520_121427.jpg

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170520_124725.jpg

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170520_134643.jpg

always licking the glass
    Ok, so what would I need to do to the fork so it's not out of sync? Least thing I want to do is lawn dart across a section of trail.

If I back up the rebound dampening to, say, 5 clicks from open, I would have to adjust my fork accordingly right? Otherwise, the rear would be really bucky compared to the front.

Would it make sense to bring my bike over the shop and have you guys help me tune it then?

always licking the glass
    I think some of the discrepancy here may be related to typical trail conditions. On the east coast, especially in Pisgah, we have some extreme rocks that have to be taken at low-ish speeds. Running rebound too fast makes me feel like I'm being bucked on those sections. I ended up at 8 clicks from full open this weekend, but really only did one ride so still dialing for sure. I'll probably keep turning it back towards open until I hit the last click before feeling like it is too fast.

I have to say running the SD coil was like night and day. I will not be putting the air shock back on the bike, even for tamer local trail rides. The LSC/threshold adjust makes the pedal/lock mode almost unnecessary except for fire road climbs. The extra weight is totally made up for by the fatigue saved on chunky DH.

Ended up at:
    180lb rider, 190-195lb with gear and supplies for a long day
    400lb spring, 2.25 turns preload for ~30% sag
    2 clicks from full - on LSC (will add a few clicks for local trails with less sustained climbing)
    8 clicks from full open on rebound

Bike feels so butter now. Couldn't be more stoked on the overall package.

Few more Pisgah pics:
    After this weekend's ride, I'm with you. I'm thinking the coil is a much better feel to it. The rocks felt really harsh on the air shock, where the coil felt bottomless.

I also have the same problem with the rear shock feeling like it's going to bounce you if you're taking something technically slow and the rebound is fast. I'm still working on my technical and riding in CO is so different than anything else I've done (much more like what you have in Pisgah).

Pisgah is beautiful--thanks for sharing the pics. I never got a chance to ride there when I was living in NC.. only made it to the western part of the state once for riding.

Did you use the bike in trail and gravity mode? I spend this weekend on an XC ride using the bike in trail mode the whole time. It's a freaking transformer

You're running a full strength right? What fork and what length are you running your fork at? I'm running an SS with a 160mm Lyrik, and I'm bike-curious to how the full strength feels vs the SS.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Longshot here....Just curious if anyone with a V1 Megatrail wanted to swap suspension. I have a fairly new RS Debonair and a 2014 160mm Pike (has had regular services)....
    Looking for 170mm coil and a coil shock. With my Trail Pistol getting 90% of my saddle time, looking to make the Mt my park bike.....PM me if interested. Thx!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    After this weekend's ride, I'm with you. I'm thinking the coil is a much better feel to it. The rocks felt really harsh on the air shock, where the coil felt bottomless.

I also have the same problem with the rear shock feeling like it's going to bounce you if you're taking something technically slow and the rebound is fast. I'm still working on my technical and riding in CO is so different than anything else I've done (much more like what you have in Pisgah).

Pisgah is beautiful--thanks for sharing the pics. I never got a chance to ride there when I was living in NC.. only made it to the western part of the state once for riding.

Did you use the bike in trail and gravity mode? I spend this weekend on an XC ride using the bike in trail mode the whole time. It's a freaking transformer

You're running a full strength right? What fork and what length are you running your fork at? I'm running an SS with a 160mm Lyrik, and I'm bike-curious to how the full strength feels vs the SS.
    I ran it in gravity only in Pisgah. The vast majority of the riding that I do there is extended fire road climbs and singletrack descents. No need for trail mode, with the steep STA and shock switched to climb mode. I ran the coil in trail mode locally today and it felt great. Got a few PRs on rocky descents. I can't quite articulate the difference yet, will take time. I think the difference was more distinct with the short stroke air shock.

Yes, the coil is 230x65mm and I'm running a 160mm Pike. The biggest issue for me at the moment is spring rate - I can only get about 25% sag on the 400lb spring with my minimal riding kit on (~180lb rider, only wear a Dakine hip pack for local rides). Adding extra water, pack, pads etc. for long mountain rides gets me to ~30% sag which feels better overall. I think I am going to pick up a ti spring in 375lb/in soon.

It's really difficult to compare the MT vs. MTSS since the two shocks are so different. I enjoyed the SS in gravity mode, not so much in trail mode. Enjoying the full strength MT in both (with coil).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You've found a Ti Spring for the SD?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TugboatComplex View Post
    You've found a Ti Spring for the SD?
    Any 2.75" stroke spring in RS diameter (38mm IIRC) should work with the SD. You can order them from ti-springs now, not sure how long they take to show up.

always licking the glass
    Any 2.75" stroke spring in RS diameter (38mm IIRC) should work with the SD. You can order them from ti-springs now, not sure how long they take to show up.
    Is there any difference in the feel of a ti spring vs steel or is strictly a weight thing?

I'm trying mine as a full strength for a while. I'll give my feedback on both the SS vs the full strength.

What's interesting is I checked the BB height, HA, and wheelbase and compared them to my 2014 Demo 8. Everything is either the same or ridiculously close. The HA is a half degree steeper on the full strength at 170mm vs the Demo 8.

Biggest difference: wider tires on the full strength, and bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is there any difference in the feel of a ti spring vs steel or is strictly a weight thing?
    I've read that the primary difference, other than weight, is resistance to fatigue and sag over time. This is my first coil however so no direct experience. I'm primarily concerned with achieving the correct spring rate and figure I may as well save some lbs while I am at it.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    This is awesome, and I'm stoked on how acute jcc383 and stripes are getting with the tuning.

Rebound damping: jcc383 you nailed it. Slower speed tech riding will be where you'll deviate the most from what I was recommending above for fast rebound, and hence, the idea that we like to set folks up with a solid baseline and have you tune from there to your local terrain and preferences. Thanks for posting up all of the details, we'll add that as a tool for helping other folks with similar terrain.

Stripes: On the fork, you want the fork rebound to feel similar to the shock, but that might not always mean you have the same number of clicks of damping on each. Same idea on both ends of the bike.

Ti springs: The only real difference is weight between Ti and steel. Differences in feel are almost guaranteed to be from people changing spring rates when switching materials. Keep in mind that even if you go from a "400" to a "400", there's always a tolerance on the spring rate, and some springs hold tighter tolerances than others. If somebody swears their Ti spring feels more supple, they probably got one that was slightly softer than the old spring, or it's a placebo effect. If you want to get really academic, the natural frequency of the spring itself will vary when switching materials, but if you can actually feel specifically that, let me know and we'll look at your World Cup sponsorship contract. And even then, that change would likely be dwarfed by a 0.5psi pressure change in your tire, and would likely be similar in magnitude to changing the volume of sealant in your tires by 50ml.
    TL;DR The only real difference is weight between Ti and steel. And, you might want to weigh the Super Deluxe Coil spring before spending money on a Ti version. I did, and the dollars/gram to go Ti is pretty unfavorable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    And, you might want to weigh the Super Deluxe Coil spring before spending money on a Ti version. I did, and the dollars/gram to go Ti is pretty unfavorable.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not doing it on a quest for value But a few grams, some bling, and the correct spring rate will hopefully make it worthwhile.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, I'm definitely not doing it on a quest for value But a few grams, some bling, and the correct spring rate will hopefully make it worthwhile.
    That makes sense

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, so what would I need to do to the fork so it's not out of sync? Least thing I want to do is lawn dart across a section of trail.

If I back up the rebound dampening to, say, 5 clicks from open, I would have to adjust my fork accordingly right? Otherwise, the rear would be really bucky compared to the front.

Would it make sense to bring my bike over the shop and have you guys help me tune it then?
    Stripes, I find that fork rebound needs to be faster than rear shock rebound. I run my Pike almost full open, and if you read up on several of the threads in the shocks & suspension forums you'll see that the consensus is that stock Pike has over-damped rebound. I've ordered some 2.5 wt fluid to bleed the charger with, may allow slightly faster rebound than the 3 wt RS. It's easier to manhandle your fork and shift weight to make it work, but the rear shock with suspension leverage taken into account needs to be a bit more precise to feel right in my opinion.

Try dialing down the fork rebound damping and see how it feels. You may be surprised.

always licking the glass
    Stripes, I find that fork rebound needs to be faster than rear shock rebound. I run my Pike almost full open, and if you read up on several of the threads in the shocks & suspension forums you'll see that the consensus is that stock Pike has over-damped rebound. I've ordered some 2.5 wt fluid to bleed the charger with, may allow slightly faster rebound than the 3 wt RS. It's easier to manhandle your fork and shift weight to make it work, but the rear shock with suspension leverage taken into account needs to be a bit more precise to feel right in my opinion.

Try dialing down the fork rebound damping and see how it feels. You may be surprised.
    Cool, thanks. I'm going to give these notes to my shop when they switch it out for a 170mm air shaft on adjusting the rear suspension and the fork. Since I'm local to GG, I took the notes on the default settings and I'll give those to my wrench as well. He's good at making the front and rear feel balanced and smooth.

Matt: the tuning on this bike is sooo different. Because it doesn't have that horrible ramp-up that most suspensions seem to have at the end stroke, it's just a matter of playing with it to get it right. But it's not as finicky as say a DW link is, which is frustrating. And with the coil it feels soooo nice on it. It's worth the weight penalty, because trail mode makes it much easier to pedal (I still have to work on the engine though).

I had to dial in some rebound compression because the coil shock was packing up, that's why my numbers.

I'm in the process of reducing my quiver for now, and this will be my only bike for a while (until I get my DJ figured out). The angles on this bike are AMAZING. The full strength has almost the same HA (1/2 degree steeper), and almost the same BB height, and almost the same wheelbase as my small Demo 8.
    Last edited by stripes; 05-24-2017 at 04:06 PM.

All Fun Rider
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170524_191614_20170525124336998.jpg
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170524_191439.jpg
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170519_180004.jpg

Did I mention how much I'm loving my bike? Using as much free time as possible to throw legs over this thing. I rode a trail that I typically avoid due to its insanely long chunky climbs over loose stuff, and it was wet, and my MT SS was in Downhill mode for the whole ride. I'm set for awhile! Practicing endo turns and challenging myself to be on the level of riding skill that this thing begs for. I already destroyed a 2.3 DHR that I slammed into a rock that I botched a bunny hop up to at 20 psi lol, I'm having a good time.
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg w/ 160mm Lyrik, 9-46t/28t

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    For all those of you that ordered the bike in Raw finish. How is the finish of the bike holding up.

Is it bare metal? Or is there a clear finish?

How has it fared?

I'm digging the raw look but I'm wondering if the paint would actually provide a bit of protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd say it is holding up well. It will definitely show marks, but that is the beauty of raw aluminum. It still looks good. It is bare metal with no clear finish that I can discern.

Paint provides protection, but not without some weight. In a sport where people spend $$ to drop grams, it feels crazy to me to pay for paint when the raw finish looks so good.

Edit: the decals though, not so much. Peeling like crazy. Will probably pull mine off soon.

mdc
    mtbr member
    My raw GGTP has been holding up great. The raw gets a little hazy over time, but when I feel like giving a good cleaning I'll use a product called BarKeepers Friend. Its sort of like a VERY fine pumice powder ( Ive used it on glass before to get rid of water spots- no scratching etc) It shines the raw almost to a low luster chrome- looks dope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    My raw GGTP has been holding up great. The raw gets a little hazy over time, but when I feel like giving a good cleaning I'll use a product called BarKeepers Friend. Its sort of like a VERY fine pumice powder ( Ive used it on glass before to get rid of water spots- no scratching etc) It shines the raw almost to a low luster chrome- looks dope.
    Pics, man!

My two year old raw MT looks great. A little bit of cable rub, a few scratches and dings, a little smudgy in spots (I've never polished it), and high shine in spots (on TT where my legs will rub from time to time), but I love it. I prefer the worn in look without a clear coat, which the MT goes without.

All Fun Rider
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20170526_142803.jpg
    It always looks a little cloudy, in a hot and sexy sort of a way. I've got a small horizontal scrape right on top of my top tube, I presume from the previous owner's spd cleat or something. As far as rock hits leaving marks, I say the raw finish is preferable over paint, as you really just have nothing to worry about once you've felt how burly the frame is.

As Calvin's dad would say, it builds character. You kind of don't worry about it. Big improvement over a painted frame in my books, oddly enough.

Edit: For what it's worth, I was getting pretty dead set on an olive painted frame but snagged my raw build at a fantastic deal, and I'm super happy I went with it. Raw was my first choice after eyeballing the Canfield Balance for over two years. If I could swap to a painted frame for free, I wouldn't.

always licking the glass
    I'd say it is holding up well. It will definitely show marks, but that is the beauty of raw aluminum. It still looks good. It is bare metal with no clear finish that I can discern.

Paint provides protection, but not without some weight. In a sport where people spend $$ to drop grams, it feels crazy to me to pay for paint when the raw finish looks so good.

Edit: the decals though, not so much. Peeling like crazy. Will probably pull mine off soon.
    I got the raw because of cost and wait time. I'll end up painting mine after this season, which is fine.

The raw looks is ok but it made me glad I'm waiting on colors. I have some ideas but it gives me time to think about it.

That said, I think it looks fine. It can take a licking and I don't worry about cable rub or anything like that.

Also, GG says it's really easy to shine it up. Take a scouring pad and rub.

The decals are a different story. Really frustrating considering what they cost on how easily they come off. I'll have to refresh mine at least once a season. I hope they find a better way to do decals but the raw look is fine.

On another thing about the raw frame: if the weathers cold your frame gets cold too. Kinda rude awakening if you're not expecting it

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?

Cool, sounds great.

I wasn't thinking of scratching per se as that is inevitable. What would be a bit worrying would be accidentally permanently staining the frame by some fluid (like oils, grease or degreaser).

Generally paints particularly clear coats provide some protection against this.

But it sounds like it hasn't been an issue.

always licking the glass
    I would try that setting on the trail; 12 clicks in on rebound is going to reduce grip over chop.
    And matt is really right about that. My fork felt really rough this weekend on the chop.

Matt: what do you recommend for the fork settings both compression and rebound to not beat you up on the chop?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    And matt is really right about that. My fork felt really rough this weekend on the chop.

Matt: what do you recommend for the fork settings both compression and rebound to not beat you up on the chop?
    That can vary depending on fork, rider, and terrain. But, if you don't know where to start, begin with it softer/faster than you think it should be and start doing runs and adjust one setting at a time. Start with rebound, then go to compression.
    Based on what I've seen on demo bikes, a lot of riders seem to prefer softer compression and a little slower rebound.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-fullsizerender.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Pics, man!

My two year old raw MT looks great. A little bit of cable rub, a few scratches and dings, a little smudgy in spots (I've never polished it), and high shine in spots (on TT where my legs will rub from time to time), but I love it. I prefer the worn in look without a clear coat, which the MT goes without.
    Here's a pic of my TP after a VERY muddy weekend riding park. I cleaned it with soap and water, dried it, then gave it a once over with some Bar Keepers Friend. The photo doesn't really show the shine on it ( damn crappy weather)- but it looks pretty good!

( PS- My dog totally photo bombed my pic!- lol)

always licking the glass
    That can vary depending on fork, rider, and terrain. But, if you don't know where to start, begin with it softer/faster than you think it should be and start doing runs and adjust one setting at a time. Start with rebound, then go to compression.
    Based on what I've seen on demo bikes, a lot of riders seem to prefer softer compression and a little slower rebound.
    Ok, I figured out why my fork has been hurting me (at least for the Megatrail.. not sure what's going on with my Demo 8).

I wasn't getting full travel (about an inch short) this weekend after 4 runs down Angel Fire on the Megatrail, even after dropping the fork 10 psi, and slowing down the rebound.

Turns out there are two tokens installed by default in the Lyrik. Those things look huge, and they displace a lot of air (volume reducers basically), so the ramp-up on the fork is ridiculous--way too progressive for me.

After taking them out, the fork feels MUCH better and doesn't seem to jar as before. Since I like the feel of coil over air, taking them out gives the fork a much more linear (coil-like feel).

It looks like it runs one as a default at 170mm, and two at 160mm:
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....ess_tokens.pdf

Rocks belong
    MTv2 with a 160 Lyrik (and maybe -1* headset) dumb idea?

Not really interested in a 170 fork and want 1 shock to use for 150/165 modes
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

Not a dumb idea...but the geo is not bad with a standard headset and 160mm fork either. I'm running mine with a 160mm fork in gravity mode in SS and Mega mode and I like the handling a lot.

always licking the glass

I don't see why not. I ran the bike so far in the following configurations:
    - SS with 160mm Lyrik
    - full strength with 160mm Lyrik
    - full strength with 170mm Lyrik

The difference in geo is the seatpost and HA slacken 0.4 degrees (65.5ļ HA full strength with 170mm vs 65.9 HA SS with 160mm). I really like the full strength and 170mm and would even run the SS with 170mm because I like the geo of it, and running the shorter shock doesn't change the geo at all. I think it even climbs better at 170mm than in 160mm, but YMMV.

Oh, and I don't like the full strength that much in 160mm. It just feels odd to me. I haven't converted it back to an SS yet (because I haven't done any trail riding recently, just parks) to see how the SS feels with the 170mm fork.

BUT--I don't see why you couldn't do a -1 HA. It's a full size 1.5in head tube, so you could slacken all you want if -1 isn't enough. I'm not sure what it'll do to the geo, but mine finally feels good where it's at, so I'll probably leave it for now, short of playing with the SS/full strength rear shocks (trail riding/DH). At this point, I'm done monkeying with the geo--I need to ride more!

The bike does really great, the biggest tweaking is with the suspension to figure out what you like. For me, I like it better with coil and the tokens out of the Lyrik (linear feel).

Thank you Guerrilla Gravity for making an awesome bike. Ruby Hill and Valmont provide a great testing area because you can go do gravity for a while, then change up the suspension in trail mode and ride the XC stuff, then switch back as you want.

I'm looking forward to taking the Megatrail to Trestle and Granby Ranch this year, or even back to Angel Fire.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

Nothing wrong with that. The large diameter headtube is there partly to allow for head angle adjustment.

mtbr member
    A little bit of Santa Barbara Megatrail stoke. A v1 chasing an SB66.

https://youtu.be/s5ome2tCmJ4

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    A little bit of Santa Barbara Megatrail stoke. A v1 chasing an SB66.

https://youtu.be/s5ome2tCmJ4
    Awesome.. smooth lines. What's your suspension setup like?

mtbr member
    Awesome.. smooth lines. What's your suspension setup like?
    I'm running a 160mm DVO Diamond, which I had DVO set up for me (they're local). I'm 175 geared up, running 120 psi. Rear is a custom shimmed Monarch Plus, tuned to give me more mid stroke support and a better platform when in climb mode. The bike has never felt better than with this setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I got to try out a Megatrail SS yesterday at the local MTB festival. The GG guys were there with a bunch of bikes and I thought I give one a whirl.

I first tried out a Transition Patrol, a Transition Scout, and a Norco Sight. They were all very nice bikes and I was quite impressed. The Norco Sight had great climbing traits and enough travel for my chunked out trails. These were all really fantastic bikes in one way or another.

Then I tried the Megatrail SS last. It seemed to climb very well, but then the KS dropper kept falling down on me and so I did a fair amount of standing climbs. Once pointed downhill...

I railed through corners faster than any of the other bikes. The cornering was telepathic and I found that I could put the bike anywhere on the trail practically without even thinking about it. I hit a jump with some speed and sailed through the air into the most perfect landing. I'm actually kind of crappy at jumps, but with the Megatrail SS it was just so amazingly easy to do.

It had a Suntour Auron fork that really impressed me with its smoothness. Much better than the jackhammer Pikes on the other bikes out there and felt quite close to the Marzocchi on my bike.

Even with the dropper post trouble it was about the most fun bike that I've ever ridden.

The best part of it though was when I called the wife and got the go-ahead to place an order. I was nearly gutted that my 9Point8 dropper post wouldn't transfer over from my bike, but the GG is affordable enough that I could get a new 9Point8 through them. Win!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I got to try out a Megatrail SS yesterday at the local MTB festival. The GG guys were there with a bunch of bikes and I thought I give one a whirl.

I first tried out a Transition Patrol, a Transition Scout, and a Norco Sight. They were all very nice bikes and I was quite impressed. The Norco Sight had great climbing traits and enough travel for my chunked out trails. These were all really fantastic bikes in one way or another.

Then I tried the Megatrail SS last. It seemed to climb very well, but then the KS dropper kept falling down on me and so I did a fair amount of standing climbs. Once pointed downhill...

I railed through corners faster than any of the other bikes. The cornering was telepathic and I found that I could put the bike anywhere on the trail practically without even thinking about it. I hit a jump with some speed and sailed through the air into the most perfect landing. I'm actually kind of crappy at jumps, but with the Megatrail SS it was just so amazingly easy to do.

It had a Suntour Auron fork that really impressed me with its smoothness. Much better than the jackhammer Pikes on the other bikes out there and felt quite close to the Marzocchi on my bike.

Even with the dropper post trouble it was about the most fun bike that I've ever ridden.

The best part of it though was when I called the wife and got the go-ahead to place an order. I was nearly gutted that my 9Point8 dropper post wouldn't transfer over from my bike, but the GG is affordable enough that I could get a new 9Point8 through them. Win!
    when you purchase the new bike talk with GG about getting the 9point8 dropper post for you, they will purchase it and you get a 15% discount. I know this because I will be doing that same exact thing with the fall line dropper and magura brakes. I have emailed them a lot and Allison is always right on top of answering questions.

and i personally liked the full strength mega and the trail pistol when i demoed yesterday more than the SS, i was very surprised with how well the full strength climbed.

what color are you looking at getting? the purple grew on me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yeah, I got the 9Point8 through them with the discount.

I got the raw color. I didn't try the full Mega, but for my riding style I think the SS is the ticket. I'm generally more into longer backcountry rides where the SS makes a lot of sense. Although it will see the Top of the World Trail in Whistler. I expect it will do fine there.

Were you out a Duthie too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    yeah i was there pretty much all day 9:30- 2:30 and tried all bikes except specialized, pivot(wanted to try a firebird) and yeti.

i really enjoyed myself on the full strength mega but the bars were just a tad to wide for my taste, but other than that I am sold on getting a GG. but not at this moment (need to save a little more cash before I buy mine)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    yeah i was there pretty much all day 9:30- 2:30 and tried all bikes except specialized, pivot(wanted to try a firebird) and yeti.

i really enjoyed myself on the full strength mega but the bars were just a tad to wide for my taste, but other than that I am sold on getting a GG. but not at this moment (need to save a little more cash before I buy mine)
    I was there from about 9 to around 3. I didn't try Trek or Specialized because I have a personal hangup about companies that make e-mtbs. I didn't try the Yetis because $$$.

Five minutes with a hacksaw will get your bars in order. Probably a good idea with all our trees around here. I'm fairly amazed at how much bike you get for your money with GG.

always licking the glass
    Yeah, I got the 9Point8 through them with the discount.

I got the raw color. I didn't try the full Mega, but for my riding style I think the SS is the ticket. I'm generally more into longer backcountry rides where the SS makes a lot of sense. Although it will see the Top of the World Trail in Whistler. I expect it will do fine there.

Were you out a Duthie too?
    I go back and forth if I'm going to stay with the full strength or go back to an SS. It really depends on how I like it at Trestle vs trail riding.

The SS with the 160mm fork is just awesome in both trail and gravity mode, but I think that the SS would have been a bit short on comfort for DH even though it's capabilities.

The full strength does really well in gravity mode but I would only use trail mode for climbing since it feels really twitchy and tall in trail mode on the full strength with a 170mm fork.

I'm curious to how it will do at Whistler. Definitely report back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    yeah i'm not so worried about bar width, my mind is currently stuck on air vs coil and SD coil vs 11-6.

did you get a chance to try out the mrp ribbon? I was the only one in my group to try it and i'm wondering others opinions.

and yeah I can get a good bike for a great price from GG, but my preferences seam to be on the expensive/smaller brand end of the spectrum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    yeah i'm not so worried about bar width, my mind is currently stuck on air vs coil and SD coil vs 11-6.

did you get a chance to try out the mrp ribbon? I was the only one in my group to try it and i'm wondering others opinions.

and yeah I can get a good bike for a great price from GG, but my preferences seam to be on the expensive/smaller brand end of the spectrum.
    Expensive and small sounds like Titus when they were around. Many years ago, I splurged on a Titus Switchblade which was a very awesome bike for its time.

From what I can tell, the only difference between GG and other "boutique" builders is the price. Frame quality looks to be up there with the best of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I go back and forth if I'm going to stay with the full strength or go back to an SS. It really depends on how I like it at Trestle vs trail riding.

The SS with the 160mm fork is just awesome in both trail and gravity mode, but I think that the SS would have been a bit short on comfort for DH even though it's capabilities.

The full strength does really well in gravity mode but I would only use trail mode for climbing since it feels really twitchy and tall in trail mode on the full strength with a 170mm fork.

I'm curious to how it will do at Whistler. Definitely report back!
    Keep in mind that I'm not a big-air sort of rider and will likely stick to the tamer trails at Whistler. I really want to do Top of the World and then will probably move on to the tech trails in the valley. The 145/150 MTSS is a fitting bike for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    i hit whistler with my lady last year and she was on a devinci troy and it took on everything we threw at it (not any of the larger hits/drops). and the SS felt more down hill capable than the troy does so i don't think you will have any issues with top of the world.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    i hit whistler with my lady last year and she was on a devinci troy and it took on everything we threw at it (not any of the larger hits/drops). and the SS felt more down hill capable than the troy does so i don't think you will have any issues with top of the world.
    LOL! My current bike is a Troy!

Although I didn't get to try it on any really chunky and steep trails, I get the sense that the MTSS will outperform the Troy in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Warning a bit long.

I also got a chance to test out the MegaTrail this past weekend (Duthie Bike Park) but only in Trail mode.

Since Iím 6í1Ē I demoíed both the medium and the large.

Medium not sure what tire size:
    Unfortunately I wasnít able to give it a good demo. The allowed time was short (30 minutes) and I hit a traffic jam in one of the trails and the rear derailleur wasnít working well which all brought the whole thing down. I did manage to get one good run on a single track trail which ended in a flow section and also hit a few times a really rock moderately steep decent with lots of ruts (entrance to Braveheart).

Overall the bike felt good on par with other bikes I tested that day. It felt surprisingly light, pedaling position was good, everything was open and didnít notice any wallowing. I was able to lean the bike and the suspension felt great. Going by the previous posts on the thread I was a bit concerned that Trail mode was going to be too harsh but it felt just right for me.

Large with 27.5 x 2.6
    This was the real eye opener!!! I mean that thing looked HUGE. But once I got on it, I felt like I was invincible.

I felt really comfortable, I had no problem placing the front wheel right where I wanted, the pedaling position felt really good and the suspension felt as good as the medium I tried earlier.
    But the really cool part was all the confidence it gave me. This was the only bike I tested that day that gave me that confidence boost. I could get in trouble so fast on this bike itís not even funny. The rocky section I mentioned earlier, I normally just coast down this section but with this bike I was actually charging down and when I lost it was easy to catch it.

I got a much better test on this one and managed to hit a few large drops, jumps and it all felt good. The only thing I did not have time was to monkey around with the bike and try wheelies, manuals and stuff. Iím not good at them but I like to try.

All in all I felt really good with this bike but just based on this demo I would not be able to pick a size confidently. Iíd need more time on both the M and the L since technically I could go either way.

I donít know if all that confidence was the fit, the tires, bothÖ

For my next upgrade I want a bike that can descend well but I want to be able to play around too and I didnít really get a chance to try that with either bike. Iíll have to figure out a way to get another demo cuz that bike was awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Oh, I definitely should have taken it down the Braveheart entrance to get a sense of how it does on steeper terrain. I agree that it's a very confidence inspiring bike. Moreso than any other bike that I've ridden.

What really struck me was how stable it could be for jumps, etc. and yet also be very playful to where you could quickly place it into whatever trail feature you wanted to hit without even really thinking about it.

At 5'11", the medium fit me quite well.

Rocks belong
    I got a chance to ride a MTv2 SS Coil in 29er mode (running the SS shock in the Gravity mode) with a 160 Lyrik up front. Holy crap that thing was fast. And smooth.

2.5 DHF front, 2.3 Breakout rear. 29mm internal rims. Plenty of clearance.

With the 160 29er Lyrik:
    HTA is around 65.2*
    STA is around 75.7*
    BBH is around 13.7"

For trail riding, I think I'd prefer a Super Deluxe RC3 air shock. The Super Deluxe coil definitely made the trail chatter disappear, but also removes some of the 'pop' from the bike... more of a ground hugging ride than a jump/pop/pump off of everything ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Took any pictures?? Did you check for tire rub on the seat tube when compressed??

The 160 29er fork has about the same length as a 180 27.5. I was thinking a while back that if a 29er fir on the back a 140-150mm fork would make a sweet rig for long back country rides.

How did the bb height felt??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This is awesome - I was at Duthie on Saturday and rode an SS in trail mode with the standard air shock, and then one of the guys let me try his coil - so I got to ride the full strength Megatrail in both trail & gravity modes. After a decent amount of conversation with Allison via email I had been leaning toward the SS with a coil shock - unfortunately not a configuration I was able to test.

I expected to like the SS a lot as my preference is generally playful & poppy rather than ploughing through chunder at mach chicken, and I almost never shuttle - so I do a fair bit of climbing (mostly tech but some fire road). It didn't disappoint - climbing really well, and was loads of fun going downhill.

Then I tried the FS coil in trail mode. I was shocked that it didn't give up much to the SS going up, and the small-bump sensitivity of the coil actually increased traction over roots and small ledges. While it didn't "pop" quite as much on the downs, it certainly didn't keep me velcroed to the ground and I took some small airs with ease. While I didn't find anything really steep/gnarly in the park (the entrance to Braveheart was the steepest I found) I did purposely choose some bad lines and bounce the bike off things to see how it handled - and it just shrugged them off. I definitely preferred this over the SS/air as it's still quite lively but gives me the peace of mind that "there's more in there" should I screw up or get over my head. I've been surprised by the "unsigned wood to drop" in the past, and like knowing that the bike has my back.

Last I tried the FS coil in gravity mode. Again, I was surprised at how well it climbed. I had to make a note to keep my weight more rearward biased, otherwise I'd lose traction over roots and ledges - but it still climbed really well and any failures can be directly attributed to my lack of fitness rather than any shortcomings in the bike. Gravity mode doesn't really like to slowly thread its way through technical bits, turning like a bit of a battleship when upright and just barely on the throttle - but lean it over at speed and it RAILS. I'd definitely use this setting on the (rare) days I hit the park, and maybe if I wanted "a bit more" to keep up with the faster guys - but otherwise would leave it in trail mode.

Overall I was impressed by all the options. It would have been nice to have more sustained climbing and steeper/more technical descents, but they've done an amazing job at Duthie with the terrain available, and the trails were in mint condition. The ability to demo an SS/coil notwithstanding, I'm now strongly leaning toward the FS/coil combo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Expensive and small sounds like Titus when they were around.
    The bike my Megatrail will replace is an '04 Titus Racer X. It's severely under-gunned in most of my local trails, but it's been a good whip. The shocker is that the Megatrail doesn't climb meaningfully worse. I'd have to do a side-by-side to really tell the difference, but I didn't find myself struggling on anything I'd expect to clean...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I should add that I got a 1st hand look at the NUTS system and can't for the life of me understand why they don't offer a small roll-top drybag to go with it, called the NUTSsack...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Cool it seems most people that tried the bikes liked them.

Frankly I wasn't too concerned with gravity mode since these guys are known for making bikes that kill the descents but was more concerned with trail mode, but from what tried its all good.

I would only need to sit on both M and L back to back and would be ready to pull the trigger.

I figure Ill stick to my bike for a while until I can try out the bikes again. Ive been managing with my humble 120mm Camber even in the black trails in Tiger Mt, so Im not in a huge hurry. I just have to hide my credit card before that new bike itch gets the better of me.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Khai View Post
    I should add that I got a 1st hand look at the NUTS system and can't for the life of me understand why they don't offer a small roll-top drybag to go with it, called the NUTSsack...
    Trust me, 10 seconds after the name NUTS system was created, the idea of the NUTS Sack was born. We decided to keep it simple and offer the NUTS Strap On method, and if anybody wants to use a sack, they are welcome to do so. The owner's manual suggests the idea of using a small sack

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The bike my Megatrail will replace is an '04 Titus Racer X. It's severely under-gunned in most of my local trails, but it's been a good whip. The shocker is that the Megatrail doesn't climb meaningfully worse. I'd have to do a side-by-side to really tell the difference, but I didn't find myself struggling on anything I'd expect to clean...
    The Racer X was an awesome bike for its purpose of XC racing. That said, I can't see it being a great bike for Washington roots and rocks and steepness.

For our terrain, I expect that you'll be extremely thrilled with a Megatrail.

always licking the glass
    I got a chance to ride a MTv2 SS Coil in 29er mode (running the SS shock in the Gravity mode) with a 160 Lyrik up front. Holy crap that thing was fast. And smooth.

2.5 DHF front, 2.3 Breakout rear. 29mm internal rims. Plenty of clearance.

With the 160 29er Lyrik:
    HTA is around 65.2*
    STA is around 75.7*
    BBH is around 13.7"

For trail riding, I think I'd prefer a Super Deluxe RC3 air shock. The Super Deluxe coil definitely made the trail chatter disappear, but also removes some of the 'pop' from the bike... more of a ground hugging ride than a jump/pop/pump off of everything ride
    I rode the SS with both the coil and the air. You could run the coil with a different spring and get it to feel poppy. Both do fine, but I really like the feel of the coil better.

But yeah, either way, it's fine, and a fun bike. You save a pound of non-rotational weight by going air, so I'm not sure how much that matters to you or not.

Was it a different rear triangle for the 29er? Is that what' you're looking for? a long travel 29er or 650b?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Racer X was an awesome bike for its purpose of XC racing. That said, I can't see it being a great bike for Washington roots and rocks and steepness.

For our terrain, I expect that you'll be extremely thrilled with a Megatrail.
    Yeah, I took ~18 years away from riding trail (switched to road/track/tt/triathlon) and then when I came back to it I just built the dream bike that I could never afford way back when - not thinking about the local terrain. I've since put on a short stem, wide bars, flat pedals, and a dropper - and I get by, but it's nowhere near "well suited" for the terrain.

For a little while I had a Carbon Nomad that was fun when pointed downhill, but I HATED climbing anything other than relatively mild climbing trails. Steep/tech or fire road sucked on that thing.

The Megatrail legitimately competes with my Racer-X when climbing. It might not win an uphill TT, but it would be pretty close one way or the other.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    LOVE your work!

always licking the glass
    Trust me, 10 seconds after the name NUTS system was created, the idea of the NUTS Sack was born. We decided to keep it simple and offer the NUTS Strap On method, and if anybody wants to use a sack, they are welcome to do so. The owner's manual suggests the idea of using a small sack
    I would be very happy to pick up a nuts sack if you guys make one. I bet you would have ball making them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I would be very happy to pick up a nuts sack if you guys make one. I bet you would have ball making them.

Sack or strap on, it doesn't make a deferens to me. Both pretty cool options for the NUTS system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For anyone who may have demoed a bike with a Ribbon fork...What did you think? I've got a good deal lined up on one for my SS but there aren't any reviews yet. Matt...What do you think of it?

Rocks belong
    Was it a different rear triangle for the 29er?
    Same bike, just gravity mode with 29 wheels.

Is that what' you're looking for? a long travel 29er or 650b?
    Dunno. See advantages to both. Taking my time to vet that out right now

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    For anyone who may have demoed a bike with a Ribbon fork...What did you think? I've got a good deal lined up on one for my SS but there aren't any reviews yet. Matt...What do you think of it?
    I actually tried the ribbon while at duthie over the weekend because it peaked my interest when MRP announced it. I really enjoyed it, the ramp control changed the feel of the fork quite a bit when messed with, but as a whole it performed just as well as any lyric/ pikes and fox 36 out there. It is pretty hard to get a bad performing fork these days (if you spend around the same 900-1000 bucks)

that being said I plan on getting a ribbon for my megatrail when I finally have the cash saved up.
    Last edited by 2zmtnz; 06-14-2017 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How about tire clearance on the regular 27.5 model? Plenty of space for 2.8s?

always licking the glass
    How about tire clearance on the regular 27.5 model? Plenty of space for 2.8s?

Yep, the SS can clear a 2.8 tire. The full strength can clear a 2.6. I'm running DHF WT 2.5 front and back on derbys and it seems to be a sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yep, the SS can clear a 2.8 tire. The full strength can clear a 2.6. I'm running DHF WT 2.5 front and back on derbys and it seems to be a sweet spot.
    Sorry...should have specified...2.8 tire on the 27.5 ribbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Revealing

Still running the MT in full strength. I just wanted to note something about riding/owning this bike. It was a nice revelation for me.

From the start I ran it in Gravity for a fair few rides. I wanted to get the big bike on and get myself into it. I did plenty of shuttle runs but also rode it on trail rides.

So much fun on the gravity trails. I was very quickly up to speed and started to expand my level of riding, attacking a few jumps I have been side stepping and attacking other sections with new speed and aggression. A truly great bike.

For the flatter trail rides not surprisingly it was slower than my buddies on that first trail ride, but then the next trail ride I was with a mate on a Nomad and I wasn't any slower and actually doing well - the other two whippets we were with took off. Now I purposefully rode in full open, like the Nomad - very comparable and I usually don't stay with my Nomad mate as easily as I did. I have since flicked the climb switch on recent rides and it is as expected, better again. Still a big bike, but you can see big trail days are manageable.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-mega-trail.jpg

Temporarily sated, I switch to Trial mode. It definitely gives the bike more pep and pedals nicely. On the flatter trail rides it is more fun in this mode. The climbs are disposed of with less effort and actually with the steeper seat angle in this mode you can really scale up some very steep country. The 170 F and 150 R works surprisingly well.

I rode this for quite awhile in this mode and I just kept getting faster and faster. My exploitation of the better pep grew as well. On features that you need to grab some pedals strokes for speed between features and then exert pop to clear or make that natural transition or over the last root just another half a bike length further on, then this mode certainly helped. It certainly broadens the bikes capability and fun factor. The SS mode must be ace, I will be trying that in a month or so. I have a bike trip to do first though.

Then the revelation. We had a couple of shuttle days arrange so I went back to big bike. I was keen to return to this mode but I was totally unprepared for how good it was. I was immediately up to speed and then some. The feel, balance, responsiveness and overall performance was so overwhelming, palpable and exciting, I was humming along.

We have a natural pecking order of descent, a few blokes are younger and braver than me. I was immediately going up 2 spots and knocking on the front door. Stoked. The speed, the cornering (wow) and the flight. It was so telling how it came together for me, an at one with the bike experience. I was so happy.

It got me to wonder why. In my opinion (of course it could just be me), the benefits of having essentially the same bike for gravity and trail mode helps you stay dialed to that bike. Secondly, in trail mode I was perhaps unconsciously experimenting and extending myself and the bike by attacking various features - exploring and pushing boundaries. I was also covering more miles in the saddle. I suggest it accelerated by acclimatisation and experimentation on the bike. And when I switch back to Go mode, oh wow I was switched on too.

I can recommend extend trail mode usage to spice up your gravity usage, it really helps you to see how good you have got it with a GG MegaTrail. It is truly inspiring to ride a MT, so fast and so sorted. Thanks GG.

always licking the glass
    WilliamK: thanks for your thoughts on it. I use mine primarily for DH/local park stuff, but I can give some feedback on running it in both full strength and SS.

I rode the bike for the few few weeks strictly in 160mm Lyrik and SS with both coil and air. Coming off the Ibis HD3, the bike felt like a tank. But, it felt like a flying tank. Where the Ibis took some work to get it off the ground, the Megatrail SS just took off on its own. It also cornered like a DH bike does, and you have to lean it and not turn it or you'll wash out (found this out on a flat corner). This is mainly in gravity mode, although I did play with the bike in trail mode on the XC trails at the parks just to get the feeling of the bike.

In trail mode, the SS felt like it was just flying through the tight and twisty sections as nice as any trail bike would. Nice and nimble.

While I was pedaling it up the park trails, I was getting ready for my first trail ride in a while. I put the bike in trail mode for the entire ride. I was pleasantly happy with how the bike felt (almost like the HD3 with a lower BB) and handled the climbs and descents fine (the motor is questionable, but the bike did just fine).

For me, I find the air shock is a bit on the jarring side, but the coil does fine in the DH and in the climbing, despite the extra weight.

Knowing that might build is not light (XTR drivetrain, saint brakes, coil shock, Lyrik), I did get my Derbys rebuilt with boost Hadleys and lighter pedals (don't judge--this helps) and a smaller chainring (28t instead of 30T), and the bike pedals much better.

For summer, I have a season pass to Trestle and went to Angel Fire over Memorial Day weekend, so the bike is converted to full strength with 170mm Lyrik. I rode the bike at Angel Fire, and it did really well, except I didn't have the suspension setup right for it. Now that I have the suspension setup right for it, I can give a ride report after the first Trestle trip.

I don't have much time with it in trail mode in full strength, but I found that to be a bit twitchy. So instead, for rolling and flatter rides, I'll keep it in gravity mode but up the low speed compression (see settings). It also helps in the jump parks to up that anyway if I'm working on flight time and popping off a jump instead of trying to quash it or going for low flight, so that makes quite a difference just in gravity mode.

For the non-DH season, I might convert the bike back to an SS since it's a simple fork rod and a switch of the rear shocks, and that way I can concentrate on trail riding in the non-DH season. Also, I found tires I like for it: the 2.5 WT DHF front and rear on the derbys just feel perfect. Grip for days, and the climbs are much easier. I was running a 2.3 DHF in the back, but that didn't feel good at Angel Fire, and it flattened the knobs so technical bits felt squirrelly. That was a carryover from the non-boost HD3, which didn't clear more than a 2.4 in the rear.

I took the tokens out of the fork because they were ramping it up way too fast. For the 160mm Lyrik, it comes with 2, and I think the 170mm comes with 1. But I took them both out and the fork feels much better, and so do my wrists. This gives the fork a much more coil like feel to match the SD coil in the back, so I'll have to redo my settings for the SS if I convert back to a 160mm fork and a SS rear for the non-DH season.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-fullsizerender-7-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great stuff Stripes and love the pictures.

You can design in functionality and end up with a design that can do many things, but not do anything particularly well.

GG have made a good fist of it (see company logo)
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-gg-tp-10.jpg

and the versatility they have been able to craft into the Megatrail is amazing on all levels. Totally appropriate and modern trail capabilities and manners.

And honouring the heart of the company's ethos, there is absolutely no sacrifice apparent in the performance of gravity mode.

It is a stellar performer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    William and Stripes are not helping with my wait at all. Can't you two say something really terrible about the Megatrail so that I can sleep at night?

All Fun Rider
    William and Stripes are not helping with my wait at all. Can't you two say something really terrible about the Megatrail so that I can sleep at night?
    The rear wheel is too secure and requires an allen key to remove!

It also makes you enjoy 'not biking' less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel_nut View Post
    Well hell...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The rear wheel is too secure and requires an allen key to remove!

Allen key to remove the back wheel? Well that sounds like it would take a small bit of effort and I'm exceptionally lazy so I'll just keep thinking about that very serious problem to keep myself from going crazy while waiting.

I can also spend my time pondering why wrenches were named after Allen and not, say, Bud or Earl.

All Fun Rider
    Allen key to remove the back wheel? Well that sounds like it would take a small bit of effort and I'm exceptionally lazy so I'll just keep thinking about that very serious problem to keep myself from going crazy while waiting.

I can also spend my time pondering why wrenches were named after Allen and not, say, Bud or Earl.
    Met a guy named Alan in Portland last week that called them "Me Keys".

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Met a guy named Alan in Portland last week that called them "Me Keys".
    Hilarious

mtbr member

Just ordered my Megatrail SS! Replacing my Pivot Mach 6.

Frame Size: Medium, Frame Color: Limited Edition: Black & Blue,
    Decal Color: Gold,
    Shock: Rock Shox Super Deluxe RC3,
    Fork: Rock Shox Pike RC - 150 mm,
    Bar/Stem/Crankset: Race Face Next R/Atlas/Next R,
    Brakeset: Shimano Zee
    Drivetrain: SRAM XO1 w/ e13 TRS Race 9-46t Cassette,
    Seatpost Upgrade: KS Lev i - 150 mm,
    Seatpost Lever: Southpaw,
    Wheelset - Tubeless: Stan's Flow MK3 i29,
    Front Tire: Maxxis DHF 3C/EXO/TR 27.5x2.5,
    Rear Tire: Maxxis Aggressor EXO/TR 27.5x2.3,
    Include Frame Storage kit?: Yes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post

Nice Build! You're gonna love it!

always licking the glass

Oooo. When do you get your bike? We want pics!

What made you opt for Zee brakes? I went for Saints but I ride my bike at resorts at full strength this summer.

mtbr member
    Oooo. When do you get your bike? We want pics!

What made you opt for Zee brakes? I went for Saints but I ride my bike at resorts at full strength this summer.
    I like really strong brakes. I am a heavier guy and after long runs I found my XT's, XTR's and RSC's faded. I went with Zee's because my LBS showed me both the saints and zee's in the box. The only true difference besides looks is the tool less lever adjustment on saints. But I don't change my lever reach after the initial set up so the Zee's saved me a lot of money but gave me the exact same stopping power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The Mach 6 is a pretty nice bike. What made you decide to get a Megatrail?

I like your build except for the Pike. I'm biased though because I'm too light for that fork and it would beat me up pretty badly. If you're heavy, I think it should work fine.

always licking the glass
    I have to order custom stickers that don't start peeling two months in getting the bike. The powders are expensive, because $300 is something I can use to upgrade things like the wheels instead :P

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Great stuff Stripes and love the pictures.

You can design in functionality and end up with a design that can do many things, but not do anything particularly well.

GG have made a good fist of it (see company logo) and the versatility they have been able to craft into the Megatrail is amazing on all levels. Totally appropriate and modern trail capabilities and manners.

And honouring the heart of the company's ethos, there is absolutely no sacrifice apparent in the performance of gravity mode.

It is a stellar performer.
    I have to agree. It's a solid bike. It takes everything I throw at it. It's wonderful

I like really strong brakes. I am a heavier guy and after long runs I found my XT's, XTR's and RSC's faded. I went with Zee's because my LBS showed me both the saints and zee's in the box. The only true difference besides looks is the tool less lever adjustment on saints. But I don't change my lever reach after the initial set up so the Zee's saved me a lot of money but gave me the exact same stopping power.
    Oh, Ok, and I would agree with you, because that's why I have Saints on mine.

always licking the glass
    I took my bike to Trestle this weekend. While I think in the long run I'll end up getting a dedicated DH bike and probably converted this back to an SS (maybe for the winter, depends on how the rest of the season goes), this bike (aka my unicorn, because it takes me magical places ) made it very wonderful and handled everything I was willing to tolerate.

I stuck with mainly the DH green and blue runs, and it was perfect for it. I think it will be fun for some of the blue/black and black runs, but I need to work on my own progression first.

The only thing I found at the end of the ride is the headset was a bit loose, but not surprising giving the amount of abuse the runs take here. It could be the headset settling, or just after two months of jumping it and taking it to Angel Fire and Trestle, that will happen

What was interesting is I left Trestle thinking I could go faster than I was already going, and I was able to keep up with a friend of mine on a DH bike until I was getting tired (I'm new to DH).

The BB on the bike is low for a reason: cornering.This bike feels so stable, and it's let me get out of some scary situations where I think I would have otherwise ended up unhappy. This includes both my 26" Demo 8 and my previous trail bike.

I do think I need to drop the PSI in the tires though, 27/28 psi felt a little bumpy. Might try 26 next time.

The bike is done. If there are any changes, it's going to be adding stickers, or changing it back to an SS. Otherwise, it's solid and I'm happy with it.

My build as a full strength for the summer, built intentionally this way for running Trestle, the local parks, and the occasional trail ride:

SD Coil
    Lyrik at 170mm
    Atlas 165mm cranks
    Saint brakes with 180mm front and 170mm rear
    Wheels: Hadleys with Derby rims and CXray spokes
    Tires: DHF 2.5 WT front and rear
    AM bashguard
    28t chainring
    11-46 XT cassette
    XTR rear derailleur and shifter (from my previous bike)
    Straitline de facto for DH/parks, Straitline AMPs for trail
    Straitline 50mm stem, Spank vibracore handlebar, ODI Rogue grips
    KS Lev I 125mm with Race Face Turbine 1x dropper controller
    Some Spesh womens' saddle

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    The Mach 6 is a pretty nice bike. What made you decide to get a Megatrail?

I like your build except for the Pike. I'm biased though because I'm too light for that fork and it would beat me up pretty badly. If you're heavy, I think it should work fine.
    I am a heavier guy, 215, Love the pike but have heard amazing things about the Fox 36 as well. I went with the Megatrail because I got a little sick of Pivot releasing a bike every six months that replaced the previous bike. I also have heard really great things about the Guerrilla Gravity line and honestly the whole frame material and suspension design topics are over hyped in the bike market today. It really is about how the bike is built and tuned. More about how the engineer designed the frame and suspension to work in harmony, not just slapping DWlink stickers on it for example. Plus I feel a little cramped on my Mach 6, short top tube, hind sight tells me I should have went with a large frame. Anyways, I really like the looks, the reviews and the customer service I have received from GG and can't wait to get out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Consider the DVO Diamond, too. Highly adjustable across reasonable extremes of weight to be supportive in mid, ramp nicely at bottom, and super supple off the top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I am a heavier guy, 215, Love the pike but have heard amazing things about the Fox 36 as well. I went with the Megatrail because I got a little sick of Pivot releasing a bike every six months that replaced the previous bike. I also have heard really great things about the Guerrilla Gravity line and honestly the whole frame material and suspension design topics are over hyped in the bike market today. It really is about how the bike is built and tuned. More about how the engineer designed the frame and suspension to work in harmony, not just slapping DWlink stickers on it for example. Plus I feel a little cramped on my Mach 6, short top tube, hind sight tells me I should have went with a large frame. Anyways, I really like the looks, the reviews and the customer service I have received from GG and can't wait to get out on the trail.
    Yeah, I have a Troy and should have bought a large too.

I got to try the Megatrail at a bike festival and was completely blown away by the performance of it. Nothing terribly fancy, but everything so well executed that it really comes together in one very sweet package.

I'll likely be swapping my Marzocchi 350 NCR Air over to it when I get it. I'm exceedingly stoked on that fork.

always licking the glass
    Coming off a dw link bike, I will agree with this assessment. Ibis changes their lineup so quickly it was frustrating to buy a new hd3 to find out one month later they come out with the boost version of it.

As for GG customer service, it's amazing. I was changing my build almost daily: they were so supportive in helping me get the right build going. And they still take my calls

I could never get the dw link to feel right for me, no matter how much suspension tuning I set it for. Just never got it to feel plush and responsive--it always seems to be one or the other.

Three things took me off the Ibis for what I was looking for:
    - being able to run a coil shock
    - being able to run a bigger tire than 2.4 in the back
    - something I would feel comfortable in the DH parks that I could occasional get on the trail and be fine

And honestly, someone alloy was key. While
    I don't mind running carbon rims, I like the stiffness of an alloy frame. The carbon frame I rode always seem to have some flex in them and just never felt as responsive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    before now I was just a Guerrilla Gravity observer but now, I can say one will be mine.... in 4-5 weeks. I am super excited and can't wait. the exciting bits of the build are below.

frame color: purple drank
    decal color: black
    shock: Push elevenSix
    fork: MRP ribbon (170)
    handlebar: deity skyline 787 (25mm rise)
    brake set: Magura MT5's F&R
    rotors : 203(F) , 180 ( R)
    drive train: Shimano XT (46-11)
    chain ring: Race Face narrow wide -clinch - 32t
    Guide/ bash guard: MRP AMg (alloy)
    seat post: 9point8 fall line (150mm)
    wheel set - tubeless: Industry nine enduro S I30

can't wait to get out on it. now to just up my training so my fitness/ strength can better match what this bike is capable of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the exciting bits of the build are below.

That's pretty damned close to what I'm looking at, except:
    ~Not likely to splash out on the elevenSix, will probably opt for an SDcoil
    ~Not sure on the cranks, looking at 165 if not 160s (Canfield?)
    ~Not sure on brakes - Magura MT5/trail vs XT/Zee vs SRAM Guide Rxx
    ~Not sure if I want to try an Absolute Black chainring

~Trying to balance my dream build with my reality budget!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's pretty damned close to what I'm looking at, except:
    ~Not likely to splash out on the elevenSix, will probably opt for an SDcoil
    ~Not sure on the cranks, looking at 165 if not 160s (Canfield?)
    ~Not sure on brakes - Magura MT5/trail vs XT/Zee vs SRAM Guide Rxx
    ~Not sure if I want to try an Absolute Black chainring

~Trying to balance my dream build with my reality budget!
    yeah the price of an elevensix is pretty steep, my gf offered to pay for part of it for a early birthday present. But with the stipulation that I had to drop 10-15 lbs so we can get one that has valving that can work with both of our weights just have to swap the springs.

we just put the MT5's (front) and Mt4's (rear) on my gf's bike and my god they are amazing! so much stopping power on 180 rotors, I would say more than what I have with 203 and 2 piston avid brakes. I also hear good things about the trails with the new levers (HC3). i almost went with the mt7's but decided against needing the tool free adjustment.

as for the cranks I am a little worried with how low the BB is but cranks are easy and relatively cheap to change out later if I don't like them for some reason, same goes for the chain ring/ all the rest of the cheap parts I didn't list.

and yeah budget is a hard thing to stay in once you hit a certain level in any hobby/sport

always licking the glass
    before now I was just a Guerrilla Gravity observer but now, I can say one will be mine.... in 4-5 weeks. I am super excited and can't wait. the exciting bits of the build are below.

can't wait to get out on it. now to just up my training so my fitness/ strength can better match what this bike is capable of.
    Nice build! yeah, I started weight training this week so I can enjoy the bike more. It's really amazing what it can do.

I'll be curious to what you think of the 11-6. I couldn't justify the cost, as much as I love Push, but one of the reasons I wanted this bike was because it can support coil, and it feels AMAZING.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

yeah the price of an elevensix is pretty steep, my gf offered to pay for part of it for a early birthday present. But with the stipulation that I had to drop 10-15 lbs so we can get one that has valving that can work with both of our weights just have to swap the springs.

we just put the MT5's (front) and Mt4's (rear) on my gf's bike and my god they are amazing! so much stopping power on 180 rotors, I would say more than what I have with 203 and 2 piston avid brakes. I also hear good things about the trails with the new levers (HC3). i almost went with the mt7's but decided against needing the tool free adjustment.
    That's a sick deal! She sounds like a keeper for sure.

Great to hear some feedback on the MT5/4 combo as well. The Saint brakes on my NomadC were one of the few things that I really loved about that bike, but I do question whether they might have been overkill. Not that I really care too much about weight - I could stand to drop 2/3 the weight of my total build by putting down the fork and riding more...

The only reason I mentioned the chainring is because I think it impacts the bashguard/retention device, and is a consideration when selecting cranks. GG does offer RaceFace options in some of their build kits, but the models offered don't come shorter than 170.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice build! yeah, I started weight training this week so I can enjoy the bike more. It's really amazing what it can do.

I'll be curious to what you think of the 11-6. I couldn't justify the cost, as much as I love Push, but one of the reasons I wanted this bike was because it can support coil, and it feels AMAZING.
    thanks, I am super excited for the build. and will report back with how the push performs (I fore see that it will perform fantastically).

always licking the glass

That's a sick deal! She sounds like a keeper for sure.

Great to hear some feedback on the MT5/4 combo as well. The Saint brakes on my NomadC were one of the few things that I really loved about that bike, but I do question whether they might have been overkill. Not that I really care too much about weight - I could stand to drop 2/3 the weight of my total build by putting down the fork and riding more...

The only reason I mentioned the chainring is because I think it impacts the bashguard/retention device, and is a consideration when selecting cranks. GG does offer RaceFace options in some of their build kits, but the models offered don't come shorter than 170.
    They can order 165mm atlas or sixc cranks. I'm running 165mm atlas. Just call them and ask

If you want something even shorter, they can source bmx cranks like they did with my friend who's short and runs 155mm cranks.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast