Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I think I'd sooner have the Smash built light 140/140 29x2.3 tires no dropper with the ability to run a 160mm fork than the Trail Pistol trying to double as an AM/Enduro bike at 130/150. At least with my current terrain. By the time I get one of these I might live someplace else where a GG competitor to the Nicolai Saturn 11 might be the ticket. 100mm rear travel, 6lbs with shock. I'd be ok with that.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep making lightweight alloy bikes. You're our only hope (besides Liteville and Nicolai!)

Oh and one more thing: do sell frames without shocks? If say, the base price for a RAW frame is $2095USD, the RS Deluxe R sells for $200 wholesale (guessing here), could we get a frame only for $1805?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Who's running eagle on a smash? Anyone running a 160 fork in Colorado and care to comment on the climbs?
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    GX Eagle going on mine, hopefully my frame ships this week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    GX Eagle going on mine, hopefully my frame ships this week!
    Cool, interested to hear how your setup goes. Apparently you need to use a 0mm offset chainring to get an optimum chainline? What size ring are you going with?
    Front Range, Colorado

Rocks belong
    Hey Matt,

In reworking the seat stay for the Smash, did you include any additional heel clearance over the Megatrail/Shred Dogg?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I think I'd sooner have the Smash built light 140/140 29x2.3 tires no dropper with the ability to run a 160mm fork than the Trail Pistol trying to double as an AM/Enduro bike at 130/150. At least with my current terrain. By the time I get one of these I might live someplace else where a GG competitor to the Nicolai Saturn 11 might be the ticket. 100mm rear travel, 6lbs with shock. I'd be ok with that.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep making lightweight alloy bikes. You're our only hope (besides Liteville and Nicolai!)

Oh and one more thing: do sell frames without shocks? If say, the base price for a RAW frame is $2095USD, the RS Deluxe R sells for $200 wholesale (guessing here), could we get a frame only for $1805?
    You can get a frame sans shock, call or email for a quote

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Hey Matt,

In reworking the seat stay for the Smash, did you include any additional heel clearance over the Megatrail/Shred Dogg?
    I'm pretty sure what you rode had the narrow crank spindle, whereas the default crank spec gives 5mm more clearance per side. So, effectively, yes.

Rocks belong
    Thanks. So (SRAM) 73mm 168 q-factor cranks are not recommened?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Thanks. So (SRAM) 73mm 168 q-factor cranks are not recommened?
    They're not recommended if you want extra heel* clearance.

*heel, as in the back of your foot. Not to be confused with "heal".

Rocks belong
    Thanks!

Not sure how someone could confuse the back of their foot with their body mending... but funny to include the clarification!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The heel note was a Trump joke

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Yep. Now I feel dumb. lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Disappointed in your response. You have a very fast growing base of buyers who are making decisions based on a lot of factors . One of which is the 100% US made.
    Do you think this is a smart response given that a large contingent of GG customers are buying for patriotic reasons (as well as others) and it is very likely they may be fans of our POTUS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    Disappointed in your response. You have a very fast growing base of buyers who are making decisions based on a lot of factors . One of which is the 100% US made.
    Do you think this is a smart response given that a large contingent of GG customers are buying for patriotic reasons (as well as others) and it is very likely they may be fans of our POTUS? Not very smart.
    I thought it was super funny and I am more likely to buy a GG bike now than before.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I thought it was super funny and I am more likely to buy a GG bike now than before.
    Maybe you can buy mine now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Do you think this is a smart response given that a large contingent of GG customers are buying for patriotic reasons (as well as others) and it is very likely they may be fans of our POTUS?
    I'm not sure why joking about something real that happened that was funny has to be a political statement one way or the other. Are we not allowed to laugh just because it's the president? The nation will never heel that way.

mtbr member
    Maybe you can buy mine now.
    Nah. I need a bike with a sense of humour. I'd want to spec my own bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rocks belong
    Nah. I need a bike with a sense of humour. I'd want to spec my own bike.
    I see what you did there...

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Lighten up Francis....

On the grand scale, is that even worth making an issue of?
    Last edited by azfishman; 08-23-2017 at 03:19 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It evidently is for the sensitive 45-supporter above. I thought it was funny, regardless of your political leanings.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    He's calling out the fact that the man might want to proofread his tweets before posting; don't get triggered over a calling out of a common occurrence. Sad!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I agree. Bigly. Really bigly. But let's not name that fake failing twitter by name.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Can we get back to the GG Smash please?

It looks great. In fact I think it will make Made in the USA bikes great again. Heck I think GG will win so much with this bike that they'll get tired of winning. Trust me!

Nobody takes this stuff more seriously than me. Nobody!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will say, I'm looking forward to comparing this against the Trail Pistol. I'm also excited that Push Industries will offer a 57.5mm stroke shock soon for the Smash (and the same size as the former Megatrail SS).

Ambassador of Chub
    GG's seriously got it goin' on these days. It's taking all my willpower not to order at least two of their bikes right now....
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    GG's seriously got it goin' on these days. It's taking all my willpower not to order at least two of their bikes right now....
    believe me you will give in like I did, and end up shelling out more than you wanted to. but it will be worth every penny.

mtbr member
    "Do you think this is a smart response given that a large contingent of GG customers are buying for patriotic reasons (as well as others) and it is very likely they may be fans of our POTUS?"

LOL...your making assumption that GG buyers are essentially potus fans? Thats funny.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I know. Been seriously looking at the hardtail to go with the smash I ordered. Figure I better ride what I ordered first, or the wife might disown me

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Same here, I wasn't even aware of them somehow until 2 weeks after I bought my latest bike (my first 29er as an experiment) and now I've almost pulled the trigger at least once each day for the last month. The only thing that has stopped me is I can't decide whether to start with replacing the 29er frame with the Smash or to replace my Rollik with a Megatrail - and I want to demo one first. Oh, and the whole angry wife thing...

mtbr member
    Got a pile of parts ready to go! Just waiting on my frame to get here!

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    I know. Been seriously looking at the hardtail to go with the smash I ordered. Figure I better ride what I ordered first, or the wife might disown me
    An aggressive hardtail pairs nicely with a long travel bike... a great 2 bike quiver

mtbr member
    Did the geo chart on the GG Smash page change? I recall the BB Height being 13.6", which is also what the Pinkbike initial review says, but now the Smash product page says 13.3" for BB Height with a 140mm fork

Just curious what happened there and wanted to confirm which BB Height is correct.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rocks belong
    I see 13.6"/345mm in the Geo chart on their website?

meatier showers
    Did the geo chart on the GG Smash page change? I recall the BB Height being 13.6", which is also what the Pinkbike initial review says, but now the Smash product page says 13.3" for BB Height with a 140mm fork

Just curious what happened there and wanted to confirm which BB Height is correct.
    I didn't check the webpage but could the difference be between plush and crush suspension settings?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

The error's on the geo tab on the custom build page. It looks like (given the notes say "Trail Pistol") that there was a cut and paste error.
    Last edited by Scott2MTB; 08-25-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    The error's on the geo tab on the custom build page. It looks like (given the notes say "Trail Pistol") that there was a cut and paste error.
    Thanks that makes sense.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the heads up on that typo, it's being fixed now.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on that typo, it's being fixed now.
    The Imperial geo chart is now correct, the metric one is still wrong on the Smash custom frame set page and the notes below the geo charts still talk about the Trail Pistol.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

So just to be clear, the Smash has the higher 13.6" BB, right?

Has anyone weighed a Size Large Smash Frame? I'm curious if it could be had under 7lbs with a lighter Deluxe RT or Fox Evol DPS. I'm thinking not, but it's worth the try.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    So just to be clear, the Smash has the higher 13.6" BB, right?

Has anyone weighed a Size Large Smash Frame? I'm curious if it could be had under 7lbs with a lighter Deluxe RT or Fox Evol DPS. I'm thinking not, but it's worth the try.
    Yes 13.6".

GG is saying a large Smash with Deluxe RT is 7.47lbs in raw. Under 7lbs with shock would be carbon bike territory.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Thanks. I was hoping it was Liteville 301 territory, but not to be.

I imagine the TP is a bit lighter but still not under 7lbs.

mtbr member
    I imagine the TP is a bit lighter but still not under 7lbs.
    The GG website lists the TP and Smash with the same weight with the same shock. Mtg7aa can chime in and confirm if that is correct.

FWIW you get the same weight for the TP, Smash and Megatrail with the same shock on the GG site.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I'm seeing 6.5 for the TP in Medium and 6.6 for the Smash in Medium.

In large sizes they might equal out.

mtbr member
    I'm seeing 6.5 for the TP in Medium and 6.6 for the Smash in Medium.

In large sizes they might equal out.
    I checked large with the Deluxe RT in the bike builder since that's what you asked about.

A 0.1lbs difference is basically nothing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Can anyone tell me what bottle cage this is? It's from the Smash Singletrack review:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...g-travel-29er/
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Can anyone tell me what bottle cage this is? It's from the Smash Singletrack review:

Do not buy! I've had 3 and they've all broken right at that seam (between the i and L in Guerrilla). I like them because you have total freedom regarding bottle placement forward/backward, but I don't know why they keep breaking on me.

mtbr member
    Who makes them?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rocks belong
    Got some time on a Smash. Mixture of technical climbing, shuttling, etc. Was setup with a 140 Pike and was in 'Plush' mode the entire time.

High level thought: bike is very controlled, capable and pretty much up for anything.

Suspension: o-ring says I found bottom (couple 3-4' drops). I never remember feeling a bottom out. Don't let 'Plush' mode fool you. It's a firm, controlled ride. Likely similar to the way a SB5.5 feels (based off of reviews I've read, haven't ridden a 5.5 myself). Tried 25-35% sag. I can see why VitalMTB preferred the coil shock for aggressive trail riding.

Climbing:Bike/front end felt tall touch and I was a touch surprised about that. A 150-160 fork would definitely be more for gravity type riding as I feel it would wander. On the other side, a 150-160 fork with a slammed stem would make a monster for descending.

I was able to climb a few things that I hadn't previously climbed on a long travel 650b bike. (Cleaned all of the wood stairs at Dakota Ridge, if you're familiar with Denver Front Range trails).

Efficiency: ran the shock wide open, seemed fine for trail riding and climbing.

Ideal trail for this bike?

Fast, rocky, chunky. It rewards an aggressive, confident rider. Attack the trail and The Smash will have your back.

Anything that I'd prefer to be different?

I'd prefer a lower BB and a lower stack height. I don't mind ratcheting my pedals through rocks and I like a low cockpit (mainly because I have short legs).

I'd also prefer more heel and calf clearance - Had lots of gray/black aluminum oxide on my calves and hit my heels while pedaling (primarily drive side). I'm a heavy pronator and my right foot is the worst of the two. This leads to a 'heels in' type of riding, which makes me susceptible to heel clearance. Seems the Boost148 trend is not helping as I have felt this on other bikes as well (Niner RIP9 RDO, etc.).

Bottom line:

If you're looking for a bulletproof, aggressive 29er - The Smash is definitely worth a look.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 08-28-2017 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Can you comment on how the steering/handling was and did you ride any tighter climbing trails? Just curious how the bike got through that. Oh ya...what size did you ride?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rocks belong
    Can you comment on how the steering/handling was and did you ride any tighter climbing trails? Just curious how the bike got through that. Oh ya...what size did you ride?
    Steering/handling is about what you'd expect with a 66* HTA for a 29er... it wakes up the faster you go!

I did see some tight, technical climbing (maneuvering up/over/around rocks). I've gotten used to slack bikes and am used to aggressive steering inputs and/or riding with your hips. I'd say it's no better/no worse than any other slack bike I've climbed.

I did really like the short rear end! (I noticed that more on tight switchbacks or areas where you need to use your hips to 'place' the rear wheel.)

Oh ya...what size did you ride?
    Medium. 50mm stem. 780mm bars. I believe it was the "Ride 1" build + an E13 cassette.

I'm 5'10". 30" jeans inseam, 32" riding inseam. Long torso and arms. The medium did not feel big, even with a 20mm offset head on the seatpost.

Only other piece I'd add... (as much as I hate them) a Lyrik Dual Travel fork (130/160) would probably suit this bike well.

Anytime. Anywhere.

I'd prefer a lower BB and a lower stack height. I don't mind ratcheting my pedals through rocks and I like a low cockpit (mainly because I have short legs).
    GG does have very high stack in small and medium sizes, maybe a flat bar?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

That bottle cage is made by MSW. We've used them for a few years, but recently switched to a different style due to a few complaints.

mtbr member
    That bottle cage is made by MSW. We've used them for a few years, but recently switched to a different style due to a few complaints.
    Thanks. What is the new bottle cage you are using?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Thanks. What is the new bottle cage you are using?
    This one
    Name:  WC3910_large.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  29.4 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ok, here's a setup question. Let's say I wanted to get the Smash and have a lightweight air shock for trail days, and the coil for gravity days.... if I had the Ribbon, would there be any issue over-pressuring the negative chamber (relative to the positive air) to reduce travel to 140 on trail days? Would that have a long term, negative impact on the fork?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I've done that before with a Ribbon, unsure of long term effects. However, if you are going to leave it at one travel setting for any length of time, dropping the lowers, changing the travel with spacers, relube, and reassemble is pretty straight forward and also takes care of preventative maintenance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've done that before with a Ribbon, unsure of long term effects. However, if you are going to leave it at one travel setting for any length of time, dropping the lowers, changing the travel with spacers, relube, and reassemble is pretty straight forward and also takes care of preventative maintenance.
    Thanks for the response.

I think I would mostly leave it in gravity mode, as that setup would be ideal for my favorite local trails and style of riding. I do travel to Seattle (sometimes) and Phoenix (quite a bit) for work though, and I sometimes do long, XC oriented rides with coworkers in those places. Having a lightweight air shock to throw on (combined with Crush mode) would be a mod that travels well, and is easy to do in a hotel room. The ability to dial down the fork via the negative pressure would just be icing on the cake.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the response.

I think I would mostly leave it in gravity mode, as that setup would be ideal for my favorite local trails and style of riding. I do travel to Seattle (sometimes) and Phoenix (quite a bit) for work though, and I sometimes do long, XC oriented rides with coworkers in those places. Having a lightweight air shock to throw on (combined with Crush mode) would be a mod that travels well, and is easy to do in a hotel room. The ability to dial down the fork via the negative pressure would just be icing on the cake.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it though...
    What about using a Talas. When I had my Lenz Lunchbox that could run 5 or 6 inches, the 130/160 Talas paired nicely with it. Not light weight, but a lot less work.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yep, and the Lyrik Dual Position is in the online builder as well: Guerrilla Gravity | Custom Builder for The Smash

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep, and the Lyrik Dual Position is in the online builder as well: Guerrilla Gravity | Custom Builder for The Smash
    Has Rockshox changed their stance on using DP shocks full time in the lower position?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Has Rockshox changed their stance on using DP shocks full time in the lower position?
    Not sure, but many riders have Dual Position Rockshox forks on GG bikes, and use the shorter travel setting for most riding, other than ripping downhills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not sure, but many riders have Dual Position Rockshox forks on GG bikes, and use the shorter travel setting for most riding, other than ripping downhills.
    Fo myself, I think I'd rather just have the Ribbon. Neither 130 or 160 is a travel number I'd pick. Having said that, I haven't gotten to ride one yet - hopefully in a couple weeks when I'm passing through Denver, which should lead to an order for a new bike, and a angry wife

mtbr member
    ...and a angry wife
    Just rip your shirt off and remind her you don't have the body of a God by accident!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Probably should have been:

Just rip your shirt off and remind her you don't have the body of a God

mtbr member
    Oh boy! Wonder what's in this box?

meatier showers
    Oh happy day!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Voila!!! Clyde worthy!!!

The build ended up like this:

XL Smash
    WTB Asym i35
    Schwalbe Nobby Nik 29x2.6
    Cushcore
    DT Swiss 350 Hubs
    DT Swiss Competition Spokes
    DT Swiss Alloy Nipples
    SRAM GX Eagle Group
    Rock Shox Lyric RCT3 160mm
    Rock Shox Super Deluxe RCT Coil
    SRAM Code R Brakes
    SRAM Rotors
    SRAM Locking DH Grips
    Race Face Turbine Dropper 30.9x490x175
    Specialized Henge Comp Saddle 155
    Race Face Atlas 35 x 800 bars
    Race Face Turbine 35 Stem 70

It is 36+ pounds, but I'm 6'7" 255+ pounds, so I'm OK with that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Voila!!! Clyde worthy!!!

XL Smash
    WTB Asym i35
    Schwalbe Nobby Nik 29x2.6
    Cushcore
    DT Swiss 350 Hubs
    DT Swiss Competition Spokes
    DT Swiss Alloy Nipples
    SRAM GX Eagle Group
    Rock Shox Lyric RCT3 160mm
    Rock Shox Super Deluxe RCT Coil
    SRAM Code R Brakes
    SRAM Rotors
    SRAM Locking DH Grips
    Race Face Turbine Dropper 30.9x490x175
    Specialized Henge Comp Saddle 155
    Race Face Atlas 35 x 800 bars
    Race Face Turbine 35 Stem 70

I would love to see a pic with the bike on flat ground. I am the same size and like to see saddle to stem difference

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    I would love to see a pic with the bike on flat ground. I am the same size and like to see saddle to stem difference
    I'll get one for you at some point this weekend.

mtbr member
    My saddle is just slightly above my bars:

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Perfect. Just what I was hoping for. Thanks for the pic. Nice ride by the way. Now if mine would hurry up and get here

mtbr member
    Voila!!! Clyde worthy!!!

Great build and as a percentage of your weight, it's still less than my 28 lb bike. So, yeah, don't sweat the weight.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The Loam Wolf built up The Smash as a review bike, as well as a bike for their journey from Whistler to Sturgis. They should be posting up something soon, but it sounds like their stoke level is quite high.

From their website:

GG Smash 140mm 29er-loam-smash.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am looking to try a 29er next season, does anyone have time on the smash and the sb5.5? Also will GG be at outerbike in Moab?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm going to be in Denver for a day next week. I scheduled a demo of the Smash and I need to know the best place to take it to put it through it's paces - given I only have 6-7 hours to get the bike, ride, and then return it. I was thinking White Ranch - climb Belcher and descend Longhorn, with options depending on how I feel. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Lair O' the bear! Do an out and back (or up and down). 30ish minutes from GG I bet?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    White Ranch is a great place. Lair o the Bear is super fun and fast, but not real burly if you want to really push the bike. Golden Gate Canyon State Park is a good one if you want to do a bigger ride (see the Full Pull on mtbproject), or Dakota Ridge for a short but burly tech ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm not sure my lungs are up to the 4k+ of climbing at that altitude (Full Pull) given my sea level status. My normal ride is 2-3k with a max elevation of maybe 2k. Dakota Ridge looks really great but short. I wonder if I could combine Dakota with White Ranch or Lair? Is that practical given my time constraints?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm not sure my lungs are up to the 4k+ of climbing at that altitude (Full Pull) given my sea level status. My normal ride is 2-3k with a max elevation of maybe 2k. Dakota Ridge looks really great but short. I wonder if I could combine Dakota with White Ranch or Lair? Is that practical given my time constraints?
    Maybe I'm getting greedy. The Dakota Ridge loop looks great. Is there any short flow/jump trails nearby that I could have for desert?

BTW, thanks for the ideas!

mtbr member
    Lair o the Bear is super fun and fast, but not real burly if you want to really push the bike.
    Good point, certainly that trail will not push the Smash very hard...but it sure is a fun ride!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Maybe I'm getting greedy. The Dakota Ridge loop looks great. Is there any short flow/jump trails nearby that I could have for desert?

BTW, thanks for the ideas!
    There aren't any mountain bike specific flow trails, or any directional trails at all on the front range. Trestle Bike Park is the closest. Lair o the Bear has good flow and higher speeds for singletrack, but it's dangerous: stay on your toes because it is high speed and has two way traffic

JB
    mtg7aa,

Care to compare the Smashes geometry/design philosophy to either the Evolink Pole 140 or GeoMetron13 ? Geometries look pretty similar on paper, main difference appears the Smash has shorter stays.

Looks like most mtn bikes are moving in this direction, some faster than others.

m

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    mtg7aa,

Care to compare the Smashes geometry/design philosophy to either the Evolink Pole 140 or GeoMetron13 ? Geometries look pretty similar on paper, main difference appears the Smash has shorter stays.

Looks like most mtn bikes are moving in this direction, some faster than others.

m
    Our geometry has been developed and refined independent of Pole and Nicolai. But, as you can see, all three companies have been following similar paths in the direction where things are headed. I think that adds validity to the movement, as we're all three reaching similar conclusions independently.

If you look back at the first generation Megatrail, it was much longer than most bikes at the time, and a few years later, most companies have adapted similar lengths. I think the same thing is going on now where us, Pole, and Nicolai are ahead of the curve. Now, it's steeper actual seat tube angles, longer reach than the 1st gen Megatrail, and we have shortened chainstays as part of the package
    As far as the differences between us, Pole, and Nicolai, I haven't actually looked at their geometry under the microscope. Not sure of the exact differences; we focus our own efforts of what can we do to make mountain bikes more awesome, and follow where that leads us.

The first generation Megatrail is/was awesome and lots of riders were really stoked riding it. When it came time to update the platform, which started with the Trail Pistol debut, feedback of riders and our own thoughts of what would make the bikes even better yet guided us to steepening seat tube angles, shortening chainstays, and further lengthening the reach. The climbing position is more efficient, the bike is more snappy with the shorter chainstays when shifting your weight back, and it is more stable at speed with your weight centered, and doesn't require a super slack head angle that wanders on climbs to get there.

And, of course, The Smash is part of that family. We're really stoked on how lively it can be when you want, and how stable it is at silly speeds.

JB
    Thanks for the reply mtg7aa.

The main difference I see is the shorter stays on the GG bikes, as the others are in the 450 - 456mm range. That should make for a livelier bike, perhaps at the expense of seated climbing, and a bit of high speed stability. Standing climbing may be better however.

It would be really interesting to try all 3 on the same trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Have you had a chance to ride it yet? How do you like it??

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I happened to be in the area, so grabbed a demo from GG and rode it twice. "Ride 1" build, 140 Pike, 2.5 f/2.3 r.

Smashed it for all I was worth on Sisters and Bergen Peak trails in Evergreen, even turned it through some tight switchbacks. Great climber; with a little extra effort I can get it up anything I can on my DW Czar. As fun as you imagine going down; begs for speed and feels planted, nimble enough, stable, balanced off the ground. I'm coming from v1 Bronson and Turner Czar. As a trail rider not airing out parks, I'm sold on the 140 front setup and think the coil shock option would make it perfecter.

GG is super accommodating, and it's of course satisfying to support homegrown passion and expertise. But no excuses – the Smash is a ridiculously fun destroyer that's not expensive and covers a lot of ground depending on the setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Voila!!! Clyde worthy!!!

XL Smash

I ordered mine and I am super stoked! Waiting patiently, sorta

I am 6'8" about 255 and I am so excited I finally found a bike that is actually the correct size for me and not junk components. I ordered the ride 1 kit but upgraded a few things. I can't wait to put it together but the advertised weight was under 29.5!

They don't list it, but they actually can build an XXL frame too! That thing would probably fit a dude up to 7 foot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The Loam Wolf did a Bikes on Bikes road trip between Whistler and Sturgis. One of the bikes they took with them, the best one obviously, was The Smash.

http://theloamwolf.com/index.php/201...gis-crankworx/

Many of the riding pictures are from the Lithium trail off of Teton Pass. If you haven't ridden that, stop what you're doing right now and head there with a badass bike.

GG Smash 140mm 29er-loam-smash-lithium-rock-spine.jpg

mtbr member
    Maybe I missed it, but there wasn't really much MTBing going on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There wasn't, but as someone who loves motorcycles and bikes that was a great article.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Difference between Smash and Shred Dog Shock?

Shock sizing: RockShox has a coil in 230x57.5. We've been talking to DVO about adding their shocks and forks as options in the build kits. I believe somebody just recently ordered a DVO shock with The Smash.
    Push is also going to do an ELEVENSIX for The Smash, I've been working on scheduling a time for Darren to borrow a bike.
    Cane Creek should have either a DB coil or Inline coil in 230x57.5 as well.
    I'm just wondering what the difference would be between the Smash and Shred Dog ElevenSix, since they are both 230x57.5?

I'm pulling the trigger on a GG bike on Tuesday through my shop and I'm 95% sure I'm going with the MegaTrail but I'm really loving my slack 29er hardtail so I love the idea of potentially being able to convert to 29erin the future. Planning to start with the MegaTrail shock but next season would add a Shred Dog shock to the mix. Are the Smash and Shred Dog kinematics sufficiently different that the same ElevenSix wouldn't be ideal? Would it be better to stick with a good air shock for the Shred Dog setup if moving to a Smash in the future is a real posibility?

BTW - not a deal breaker whatever the answer is. Just curious. I'm right in the middle of a full-on new bike nerd out episode. It will pass.

Thanks!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_tony View Post
    I'm just wondering what the difference would be between the Smash and Shred Dog ElevenSix, since they are both 230x57.5?

I'm pulling the trigger on a GG bike on Tuesday through my shop and I'm 95% sure I'm going with the MegaTrail but I'm really loving my slack 29er hardtail so I love the idea of potentially being able to convert to 29erin the future. Planning to start with the MegaTrail shock but next season would add a Shred Dog shock to the mix. Are the Smash and Shred Dog kinematics sufficiently different that the same ElevenSix wouldn't be ideal? Would it be better to stick with a good air shock for the Shred Dog setup if moving to a Smash in the future is a real posibility?

BTW - not a deal breaker whatever the answer is. Just curious. I'm right in the middle of a full-on new bike nerd out episode. It will pass.

Thanks!
    Hell yeah!

As far as kinematics, The Smash has a bit more ramp up than the Shred Dogg. I don't think it would warrant a different damper tune, especially with the adjustability on the ELEVENSIX. If you have the budget for the Push shock, I think it's ideal on any GG bike.
    As far as the question of whether or not to stick with a good air shock for the Shred Dogg if moving to The Smash is a possibility: I would recommend a coil as it is easier to convert it from 65mm to 57.5mm stroke. Multiple customers have made plastic stroke limit stops to switch stroke length. Or, if you don't want to make one, it's easier to install the factory made limiter on a coil shock. Then, you only have to buy one shock, and it makes the conversion cheaper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hell yeah!

As far as kinematics, The Smash has a bit more ramp up than the Shred Dogg. I don't think it would warrant a different damper tune, especially with the adjustability on the ELEVENSIX. If you have the budget for the Push shock, I think it's ideal on any GG bike.
    As far as the question of whether or not to stick with a good air shock for the Shred Dogg if moving to The Smash is a possibility: I would recommend a coil as it is easier to convert it from 65mm to 57.5mm stroke. Multiple customers have made plastic stroke limit stops to switch stroke length. Or, if you don't want to make one, it's easier to install the factory made limiter on a coil shock. Then, you only have to buy one shock, and it makes the conversion cheaper.
    I had no idea about this. I was considering buying a coil shock to covert my Shred Dogg to a Megatrail for park days. If I buy a coil, then I could just stick in a limiter to covert back to Shred Dogg?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Limiter in coil shock and ElevenSix tune

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I had no idea about this. I was considering buying a coil shock to covert my Shred Dogg to a Megatrail for park days. If I buy a coil, then I could just stick in a limiter to covert back to Shred Dogg?
    This option never occurred to me either! I was already 100% going with the ElevenSix but this just makes the decision seem less "over the top" when compared to the cost of two different shocks. Will definitely ask Push Industries for the spacer right away then.

Follow-up question 1: With the shorter stroke, I'd want less absolute sag so I can stick with ~ 30% sag. Do people typically buy a second firmer spring or can they usually dial it in with more preload?

Follow-up question 2: I was wondering, how does Push typically setup the two separate damping circuits for the GG tuned shocks?

Just when I thought I could not get more excited about this bike... Mind blown.

Thanks for the great responses - I love buying from cool companies. Just as important as the quality of the product.

mtbr member
    Speaking of options...what about this

Smash frame
    27.5 wheels
    Longer stroke shock

Possibro?

Is that essentially creating a megatrail?
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    ---
    Last edited by vikb; 09-25-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    Speaking of options...what about this

Smash frame
    27.5 wheels
    Longer stroke shock

Possibro?

Is that essentially creating a megatrail?
    Just buy a MegaTrail

mtbr member
    Just buy a MegaTrail
    What, you mean like this one?
    GG Smash 140mm 29er-megatrail-bike-vault.jpg

Yes, that's mine. It's about options, bro.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Your photo isn't displaying, but you have a MT already? What purpose would the Smash with 650b be for you? In, fact, why not just get a 29er wheelset for your megatrail and have basically the same bike as the smash?

Edit: nevermind, I see you have a V1 megatrail. I think the strength of the V2 is having basically 3 bikes in 1.

eci
    Grandpa - your photo isnt showing

Hope all is well bro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast