Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1598
    The Riddler
    Potential buyer here...couple questions:

Max chainring size? Will a 34 be ok?

Seem like coils are pretty popular on this bike, front and back. Any reason air would be preferable in some terrain, beyond the typical weight/adjustability/progressive nature? Or is the plush/crush mode switch enough to provide different platforms?

Will be piloting mine in New England, mix of slow jank and fast chunder. Anything tame and I'll probably just ride the hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post

Seem like coils are pretty popular on this bike, front and back. Any reason air would be preferable in some terrain, beyond the typical weight/adjustability/progressive nature? Or is the plush/crush mode switch enough to provide different platforms?

Will be piloting mine in New England, mix of slow jank and fast chunder. Anything tame and I'll probably just ride the hardtail.
    Yes, The Smash Owner's Manual states that 34t is the maximum chainring size. That's a big 'un! I personally run a 30t w/ 11-speed e13 cassette.

I'm not sure if there would be a place where *performance* of an air shock would be preferable. Potentially on like smooth flow trails where you aren't able to get your choice of coil to perform the way you like. Plush/Crush is definitely noticeable and you can use that to help you adjust for different riding areas / conditions / styles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Iím living in SoCal, but Iím originally from New England and still ride there regularly when I visit my folks. As far as the coil goes, the only down side for the rooty and rocky, near constant up and down you have out there would be the weight, but I think that is easily offset by how much energy youíll save by not getting [as] beat to death

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Has anyone rode the smash and trailpistol?
    The trail pistol and the smash have very similar geometry. I rode Little_Twin's trail pistol set-up with a 130 rear coil / 150 front. I don't have a refined enough seat of the pants feel to actually describe the difference between them. My smash at 140/150 feels pretty similar.

the Smash is designed to be a little more smashy than the Trail Pistol (little plusher feel etc). But, I think in practice they are really really similar. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just need to decide if you want 120 or 140mm of rear travel.

The geo might be similar, but you know, the pedalhead lacks rear travel
    Last edited by cassieno; 07-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What are you guys running for super deluxe spring weights?
    Spring weight, geared rider weight, %sag, type of riding? Just curious since calculators donít seem to be consistent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I weigh about 190 in shorts and tshirt and settled on a 425 spring to get to that 30% sag. When I had the 450 with the spring collar just tight enough to take the slack out of the system, I was at 28% sag with pack on in full riding gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I weigh about 190 in shorts and tshirt and settled on a 425 spring to get to that 30% sag. When I had the 450 with the spring collar just tight enough to take the slack out of the system, I was at 28% sag with pack on in full riding gear.
    Cool. Iím about 190 also. Shock is coming with a 450lb spring. I was under the impression that it would be too soft for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think things like fork travel and subsequent head angle/seat angles could have a small effect but you should be very close with a 450.

mtbr member
    I'm 150 in riding gear, GG sent me a 300 with my super deluxe, this came in at about 32% sag but I found I was bottoming out way too often so I went up to 325, which sits at 28% and has been great but now that its getting to be bike park and racing season I'm starting to blow through it a bit much. Probably will settle on 350 for racing/ bikepark season and 325 for the rest of the year.

Also I just got Cushcore for The Smash, gonna install it one of these days and see how it goes. This bike is just too good I find myself hiting things so much harder and faster than ever before and my tires and rims can't keep up! Already put a good dent in my rear wheel. Just hoping the install process goes smoothly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    195. Probably close to 210 in bike park riding gear. I put a 500# spring on mine. So far feels great. Going to Northstar and downieville next week, and can report back.

Probably will just hit 30% sag in plush mode with all my bike park gear on.

mtbr member
    I got a shipping notification that my new shirt is on its way!

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Riddler
    Pretty much sold on a smash! Two questions...

Currently riding a Santa Cruz 5010, 27.5 setup as a mini shredder at 150/130, with beefy tires and reservoir shock. Currently finding my way into bigger terrain and drops/jumps. Small part of me is worried I'll miss the 5010. Will the Smash be just as if not more fun and help to progress further with this type of terrain? 5010 is definitely more of a small trail bike than anything else but it's a precision weapon and rides above it's weight class hen I'm riding well.

Second one is it seems the MRP ribbon coil fork gets a lot of love. I currently ride a Pike with a Luftkappe. Will the coil perform better/differently than a 2019 Lyrik with Luftkappe? Only component choice I'm stuck on. Definitely going with MRP Hazzard coil for the rear.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How much do you weigh, and what year is your Pike? Older (~'14/'15) Pikes are known to be harsh for midweight riders, which is probably why you put the Luftkappe on yours. A coil fork will definitely help make the front end feel very supple over small bumps, at cost of weight. That said, lots of the newer air forks are supposed to much better small bump compliance than your older Pike, especially ones with adjustable positive and negative chamber pressures like the MRP Ribbon and DVO Diamond.

I put a Luftkappe on my '18 Fox 36, and didn't really notice any difference. You might not need it on a '19 Lyrik or Pike.

Check out the Pinkbike review of the Smash... they definitely make it sound like it will be at home on the terrain you're talking about, especially if you long fork it. The Smash's slacker head angle will feel dramatically better on that sort of riding than your 5010, along with the roomier cockpit.

mtbr member
    Small part of me is worried I'll miss the 5010. Will the Smash be just as if not more fun and help to progress further with this type of terrain? 5010 is definitely more of a small trail bike than anything else but it's a precision weapon and rides above it's weight class hen I'm riding well.

Second one is it seems the MRP ribbon coil fork gets a lot of love. I currently ride a Pike with a Luftkappe. Will the coil perform better/differently than a 2019 Lyrik with Luftkappe? Only component choice I'm stuck on. Definitely going with MRP Hazzard coil for the rear.

Thanks!
    2nd Q first. The coil is totally different. Will you love it? Probably.

Will you miss the 5010? Maybe? The Smash is more like the High Tower/HT LT. So it's not as nimble as a short travel 275er especially with a coil rear.. That doesn't mean it will suck, but if you wanted a 29er more like the 5010 I'd get the Trail Pistol with an air shock + air fork.

It all comes to down to what you expect.

The Smash is amazing. If you expect something else maybe it won't blow your socks off. Hard to say based on internet communications.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Honestly, I donít love my Ribbon Coil. I liked my Fox 36 better because I like the firmness of it. I also donít like the squishing noise the Ribbon makes. Itís totally a problem thatís just me but itís annoying. With all that said I bet Iím in the minority.

With all THAT said, I just finished ordering my Smash. I canít wait!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really like my ribbon air, but I am comparing it to a 888 and a 66 so....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    I liked my Fox 36 better because I like the firmness of it.
    There are a few ways to make the Ribbon coil firmer....pre-load and install a stiffer spring. The damper noise is what it is. I noticed it a bunch at first, but a few months in I don't hear it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Stoked to be back in the saddle after a few months recovery from breaking my wrist and a couple ribs (yes on the Smash). Starting to get my ride legs back and shedding some beer weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG Smash 140mm 29er-smash-bennet.jpg  

loud hubs save lives

GG Smash 140mm 29er

Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Stoked to be back in the saddle after a few months recovery from breaking my wrist and a couple ribs (yes on the Smash). Starting to get my ride legs back and shedding some beer weight
    Looking Glass FTW. Bennet Gap is such a fun trail. Welcome back.
    Last edited by sennaster; 07-15-2018 at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    The only thing I havenít picked out for my Smash is cranks. Whatís everyone running?

mtbr member
    RF Next R's.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got the Turbine's. They seem to do the job. I wanted to spend money on the bike in other places (like wheels, fork, brakes, Eagle etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    RF Next R's.
    Same here. I've got 3 pairs of RF cranks and had no issues with any of them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I have no complaint about that. My complaint [as well as many others] is the multiple XT brake failures [wandering bite point] I've experienced and pretty much everyone I ride with has experienced with the current generation of those brakes.

Combine limited modulation, high stopping power and a wandering bite point...equals not much fun at all. Hence why I went SRAM for brakes on the Smash.

I expect Shimano will solve the issue during the next redesign, but I was not willing to spend more $$ on their product until they do. Previous versions of their brakes were great and I would have stayed Shimano until the recent unpleasantness.

That said the Codes on the Smash work well and have been trouble free.
    I'd never experienced this wandering bite point before until this last weekend. Maybe it's the new lever. The bite point was all over the place when I was at the bike park.

Annoying AF. I'm not sure if I want to put up with it or get some 4-pot Curas or Quadiems.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I'd never experienced this wandering bite point before until this last weekend. Maybe it's the new lever. The bite point was all over the place when I was at the bike park.

Annoying AF. I'm not sure if I want to put up with it or get some 4-pot Curas or Quadiems.
    Ya it's hard to deal with. Every time you go to brake it's a surprise whether you lock your wheel up and slide or get nothing. I replaced one failed lever with a fresh one and now the new one is starting to do the same thing. I mentioned it to my riding buddies and was surprised to hear everyone was having the same issue.

I've got some older XTR brakes I'll probably swap in on the bike with problematic XTs for now. Hopefully Shimano sorts it out in the next redesign.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

GG Smash 140mm 29er

Ya it's hard to deal with. Every time you go to brake it's a surprise whether you lock your wheel up and slide or get nothing. I replaced one failed lever with a fresh one and now the new one is starting to do the same thing. I mentioned it to my riding buddies and was surprised to hear everyone was having the same issue.

I've got some older XTR brakes I'll probably swap in on the bike with problematic XTs for now. Hopefully Shimano sorts it out in the next redesign.
    I've had shimano brakes on every bike I've ever owned. I have found that with a thorough bleeding once every 5 or 6 rides you can keep the issue you are describing at bay. I think the issue is in the master cylinder as my most current zee's do the same thing if I met the fluid get old. I have also found that on levers with adjustable bite point it is important the bleed with the screw all the way out, then turn it all the way in and pump the lever, finally back it all the way out again and gently push fluid from the caliper while installing the reservoir screw and o ring. The issue seems to be a tiny amount of air getting trapped in the plunger assembly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    I've had shimano brakes on every bike I've ever owned. I have found that with a thorough bleeding once every 5 or 6 rides you can keep the issue you are describing at bay.
    I'm not bleeding my brakes every two weeks or less. At least to me that's not a solution.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm not bleeding my brakes every two weeks or less. At least to me that's not a solution.
    It's the price I pay to have functioning brakes. I was bitten too many times by the sram "sticky master cylinder". I've gotten very fast at bleeding shimano brakes. I do all my bikes at once and fortunately have enough bikes that I can spread the time out enough to bleed once a month.

One day I'll just bite the bullet and get some hopes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    The only thing I havenít picked out for my Smash is cranks. Whatís everyone running?
    Truvative Descendant Carbon with the OneUp rings

Short-Change-Hero
    It's the price I pay to have functioning brakes. I was bitten too many times by the sram "sticky master cylinder". I've gotten very fast at bleeding shimano brakes. I do all my bikes at once and fortunately have enough bikes that I can spread the time out enough to bleed once a month.

@Scott2MTB has Hopes on his bike and they were quite nice. While the modulation/throw was very different from my older (2014) Shimano SLX brakes, I got used to them quickly when I demo'd his bike.

Switching back to my Shimano's I noticed just how quickly they bite. Here's the thing though, I only ever bleed my brakes like every 4-6 months and I have already put over 800 miles on my bike since March-ish of this year (dont know when I really started riding/training for the race but that was about the time, maybe close to April.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I got a shipping notification that my new shirt is on its way!

That is all.

Congrats on the new shirt!
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Smash 140/150 29"
    2013 Specialized Carve SL (rigid SS) 29"
    2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

mtbr member

With all the various reported problems with both Shimano and SRAM, it's worth considering Hope, Magura, TRP, Formula, etc.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hi Smash owners... I am a potential buyer very interested in The Smash but have not been able to ride one yet. I have demoed many bikes now and know what Iím looking for and The Smash checks off most boxes. However for the money I am a little uncomfortable purchasing without riding one. After talking with Bobby from GG he directed me here to see if anyone in AZ Phoenix area has a M size Smash theyíd be willing to let me pedal.
    Thanks for your time, cheers!

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by TRJoe View Post
    Hi Smash owners... I am a potential buyer very interested in The Smash but have not been able to ride one yet. I have demoed many bikes now and know what Iím looking for and The Smash checks off most boxes. However for the money I am a little uncomfortable purchasing without riding one. After talking with Bobby from GG he directed me here to see if anyone in AZ Phoenix area has a M size Smash theyíd be willing to let me pedal.
    Thanks for your time, cheers!
    I'm 4 hours west of you by Joshua Tree CA. A bit of a drive but just figured I'd offer

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I've got an Extra Medium coming if you want to test ride up in Flagstaff.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Short-Change-Hero
    There is also a BAMF thread going in here as well. I would post there and see if you can get some more info on local BAMF (not Bad A$$ Mother F&*#ers but Brand Ambassadors and Freeride Marketeers, and still Bad Ass though).

mtbr member
    Nothing related to any ongoing discussions on this thread, other than GG Smash 140mm 29er stoke, but...

I've had my Smash, w/Lyrik 160 up front, since this past September and I continue to fall deeper in love with it every time I ride it. Which is 95% of the time. It doesn't matter if its xc, all mtn, enduro, smooth flow, chunky ridges, rock gardens, uphill, downhill or even at my local bike park types of terrain...I love it for everything! Is it the best bike at everything, no. Is it the best bike for me at everything, yes! At 6'7" and 250+ pounds, I don't have to worry about a damn thing on this ride!!!! It gives me confidence, I am getting faster, and could care less about the weight of the bike (32ish pounds). It is stout and I am loving it! And i have no carbon envy! Love my raw frame too!!! And its handmade in the good 'ol USofA!

...For reference, my other mtn bikes in the garage are a XL Specialized Fatboy with a 26x4.8 wheel set and a 29x3.0 wheel set. And also a XXL Specialize Carve (pre-Crave) single speed running 29x2.4s. I sold or donated all my previous squishy bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks! Will definitely need to take you up on that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Good info thanks mate! Appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    ...For reference, my other mtn bikes in the garage are a XL Specialized Fatboy with a 26x4.8 wheel set and a 29x3.0 wheel set. And also a XXL Specialize Carve (pre-Crave) single speed running 29x2.4s. I sold or donated all my previous squishy bikes.
    Funny, my other (and first) mountain bike besides my Smash is a Specialized Carve single speed! I mainly use it for commuting now.

mtbr member
    After two months it's finally here. Just a rough assembly so far and the custom graphics aren't here yet but it's looking good.

GG Smash 140mm 29er-img_6975.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    So after reading this entire forum and some parts 5-6 times I decided on a smash and just pulled the trigger. Was between trail pistol and smash but the versatility of the smash gave it the edge.

A lot of talk of "extra mediums" gave me the idea for a large plus, same concept of the extra mediums but with the XL top tube and down tube, I'm 6-4 with 36" inseam and 75" wingspan I was right on the cutoff of the L and XL and tired of being at the top end of the size range I took inspiration from this thread and got my large plus and I wanted to run the big bike yoke dropper.
    Went with the ride 1 build with a coil and the RT air as I live in Florida and ride the Southeastern trails but go out to Colorado once a year as well. Code R brakes and DHF 2.5 front aggressor 2.5 rear. Downtube bottle mount and NUTS.

I did go with the MRP ribbon but has anyone done a side by side with coil vs air, I know a lot of love for the coil but I'm planning on switching from 140 to 160 quite a bit and the versatility of air seems hard to beat but still open to suggestions.

Also looking at 800mm bars and a slammed stem and between the spank vibrocore, deity blacklabel and raceface atlas. Any experience with these?going with Lamborgg and red so definitely red bars and I think the Deity stuff looks the best but the vibrocore intrigues me.

Open to any other suggestions and thanks to everyone taking the time to post on here and gave me plenty to read.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by captkirky View Post
    So after reading this entire forum and some parts 5-6 times I decided on a smash and just pulled the trigger. Was between trail pistol and smash but the versatility of the smash gave it the edge.

A lot of talk of "extra mediums" gave me the idea for a large plus, same concept of the extra mediums but with the XL top tube and down tube, I'm 6-4 with 36" inseam and 75" wingspan I was right on the cutoff of the L and XL and tired of being at the top end of the size range I took inspiration from this thread and got my large plus and I wanted to run the big bike yoke dropper.
    Went with the ride 1 build with a coil and the RT air as I live in Florida and ride the Southeastern trails but go out to Colorado once a year as well. Code R brakes and DHF 2.5 front aggressor 2.5 rear. Downtube bottle mount and NUTS.

I did go with the MRP ribbon but has anyone done a side by side with coil vs air, I know a lot of love for the coil but I'm planning on switching from 140 to 160 quite a bit and the versatility of air seems hard to beat but still open to suggestions.

Also looking at 800mm bars and a slammed stem and between the spank vibrocore, deity blacklabel and raceface atlas. Any experience with these?going with Lamborgg and red so definitely red bars and I think the Deity stuff looks the best but the vibrocore intrigues me.

Open to any other suggestions and thanks to everyone taking the time to post on here and gave me plenty to read.

Great to hear that youíre going with the ďLarge-Plus.Ē Iíve been pondering that move my self, as the large is just a wee bit tight with short stems.

On the subject of Florida mtn biking, whatís the best location to live from a pure mtn biking/road cycling point of view? Weíve wintered down there a zillion times and might be extending it this winter. Love Santos, Alifia, Bomboyette and Markham to mtn bike. Really like Clermont area for the road stuff. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Congrats! Looks like a nice build.

I went with the Ribbon coil because I liked the "set and forget" nature of it, but I can see how the air might be good for your riding.

And the 185 mm bike yoke revive is wonderful

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got the air because I figured I could always set it up as a coil later. So far I like the mrp air a lot. Hopefully eventually I'll be able to try out someone else's coil and see if I am missing anything. I did go coil for my shock and so far been pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Cassieno I had no idea you could switch but that makes sense now looking at their website and makes the decision easier.

Rideon - I grew up in Tampa and learned how to mountain bike at alafia and balm boyette so I am definitely partial to those trails and I think the trail pistol would be amazing there and what made the decision between TP and smash so hard. There's also a fair amount of triathlon groups in the area that do group rides fairly often. Clermont there's nothing good that's close but you're kind of right in the middle of alafia and Santos. Road biking in Ocala I'm not sure about, definitely the most mileage you can get mountain biking in Florida but all of those roads are old and not much shoulder with a fair amount of commercial traffic but there could be areas I'm not familiar with. Markham park in Lauderdale is a blast but you can hit ever trail there in less than two hours so might get old. I would say your best bet would be north Tampa area, newer wider roads without as much traffic as Tampa but kind of right in the middle of alafia, croom, Santos, loyce Harper and if you do any type of off road motorcycle riding the state parks over there have some good trails for OHV.

mtbr member
    Cassieno I had no idea you could switch but that makes sense now looking at their website and makes the decision easier.
    Just remember once you switch to coil you won't be able to go back to air without replacing the csu. The spring will mar the inside of the leg enough that an air piston most likely won't seal again.

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question but do raw aluminum frames need any type of protection tape (invisiframe/helicopter tape/etc.)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They get marred. And I think you just scotch bright them back to a pretty shine (if you care).

So no.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What size drpper are most people running on their smash. I cant make my mind up between 160 or 185. Im 6' with 33" inseam and Im looking at getting a medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am about your size. Maybe slightly shorter. I have the 185 on a medium frame. It's awesome. It's almost slammed to the top tube (I have about an inch of adjustment so it really gets down out of my way)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Got my smash 2 weeks ago then immediately drove to BC. On my way back to CO now but this thing is amazing. Cant wait to ride it on my home trails. Also cant wait to go back to BC!!! Place is amazing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG Smash 140mm 29er-jitvcpk.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What front fender did you go with for your MRP?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I get out to Phoenix monthly for work and always bring the Smash. I would normally be out there in a few weeks but I got slapped with Federal Jury Duty so I don't get to travel for a month but I'll be there in September for sure if you're still in the market at that time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strunkbro View Post
    What size drpper are most people running on their smash. I cant make my mind up between 160 or 185. Im 6' with 33" inseam and Im looking at getting a medium.
    Iím exactly your measurements. I demoíd a medium at the headquarters and I can def say a size large will be better (for me). The local rider who has a medium frame also suggests a large. FWIW

I'm 6', 32" inseam, +1 ape index.

I rode a Medium Trail Pistol with 50mm stem and it felt a tad cramped with a non-offset post although nice and nimble. With an offset post, it'd probably feel alright. I've ridden bikes for years with far worse fit than I was experiencing with the Medium size. The difference was, I rode those bikes in areas where the compromised fit actually benefited my riding. When I came west, to bigger mountains, faster, wider trails, and gnarlier terrain, I kept running into issues with a bike that was too short.

I decided to go for an Extra Medium Smash with normal post and shorter 35-40mm stem.

For a bike like the Smash, I think you're safer to size up and slide the saddle forward, shorten the stem, cut the bars, increase the stack as these are all things that shorten the cockpit.

With a smaller frame, you might be forced to run an offset post, slide the saddle back on the rails, run a longer stem, wider bars, etc. For some people (like Vik) that works, and for others, it doesn't.

If you live someplace that is more flat, twisty, tight, a Medium would probably work well.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just the regular mucky nutz. Fits fine

mtbr member
    200mm, but i'm 6'6" with long ass legs. . Sorry i'm not much help.

I have the 9point8 fall line, I believe its actually adjustable. So you could check them out and adjust it to your liking. They have two length options I think. The 200 might not fit in a medium frame slammed and adjusted but I'm not sure. https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?rou...tegory&path=42
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead XL
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash XL

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'm 6', 32" inseam, +1 ape index.

I rode a Medium Trail Pistol with 50mm stem and it felt a tad cramped with a non-offset post although nice and nimble. With an offset post, it'd probably feel alright. I've ridden bikes for years with far worse fit than I was experiencing with the Medium size. The difference was, I rode those bikes in areas where the compromised fit actually benefited my riding. When I came west, to bigger mountains, faster, wider trails, and gnarlier terrain, I kept running into issues with a bike that was too short.

I decided to go for an Extra Medium Smash with normal post and shorter 35-40mm stem.

For a bike like the Smash, I think you're safer to size up and slide the saddle forward, shorten the stem, cut the bars, increase the stack as these are all things that shorten the cockpit.

With a smaller frame, you might be forced to run an offset post, slide the saddle back on the rails, run a longer stem, wider bars, etc. For some people (like Vik) that works, and for others, it doesn't.

If you live someplace that is more flat, twisty, tight, a Medium would probably work well.
    I live in southern Arizona so lot of rocky, step loss trails with lots of tight switch backs. I demoed a trail pistol on my local trails and it seemed fine. The only time it felt a little tight was when I was sitting with the seat slammed. Im coming of a large evil uprising so the medium smash is huge compared to that bike. I guess I was nerves the large will be hard to move around on our tight trails.

mtbr member
    I've got a 33"pants inseam and I'm 5'11". I have a 175mm dropped on a medium Smash and have ~25mm of the post exposed.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm 6'7" with a 34" pants inseam, running a 175mm travel, 490mm long RaceFace Turbine dropper on my XL Smash...

Ok so I finally got my new to me (pre-owned) Extra Medium Smash. The frame was only built back in April or May, so it didn't get many miles on it before ending up in my possession.

I scoured the bike for any imperfections after shipment, and it looks really really good. Like, if the chainstay yoke didn't have some rock scrapes on it, I'd think this bike was new.

However, one worrying thing did pop up...or rather out. The rocker linkage pinch bolt appears to have gone missing, and the rocker link axle had backed out about half way. You'll notice in the pictures below, the rocker hadn't rubbed on the seat tube, so it must've not been ridden like this very much.

GG Smash 140mm 29er-img_5262.jpg
    GG Smash 140mm 29er-img_5263.jpgGG Smash 140mm 29er-img_5265.jpgGG Smash 140mm 29er-img_5267.jpg

My question is: would you accept the frame like this? I'd hate to have to return it to sender, but lets be honest, frames are expensive without the full warranty I'd be nervous about something being messed up. Even without linkage rub, such little engagement of the rocker axle threads could be an issue, or putting undue stress on the bearings.

I've sent an email to GG, and I'll wait to see what they say, but I thought I'd throw this out to the mob. Check those rocker link pinch bolts!

mtbr member
    Ok so I finally got my new to me (pre-owned) Extra Medium Smash. The frame was only built back in April or May, so it didn't get many miles on it before ending up in my possession.

I scoured the bike for any imperfections after shipment, and it looks really really good. Like, if the chainstay yoke didn't have some rock scrapes on it, I'd think this bike was new.

However, one worrying thing did pop up...or rather out. The rocker linkage pinch bolt appears to have gone missing, and the rocker link axle had backed out about half way. You'll notice in the pictures below, the rocker hadn't rubbed on the seat tube, so it must've not been ridden like this very much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1209455

Name:	IMG_5263.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1209456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5265.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1209457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1209458

My question is: would you accept the frame like this? I'd hate to have to return it to sender, but lets be honest, frames are expensive without the full warranty I'd be nervous about something being messed up. Even without linkage rub, such little engagement of the rocker axle threads could be an issue, or putting undue stress on the bearings.

I've sent an email to GG, and I'll wait to see what they say, but I thought I'd throw this out to the mob. Check those rocker link pinch bolts!
    If the bearings feel good and there is no play in the rocker(with pinch bolt in) it's fine. Build it up and enjoy your discount custom frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1209455

Name:	IMG_5263.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1209456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5265.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1209457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1209458

I would imagine if there was any frame damage from riding it like that the damage would be very apparent, couldn't imagine riding it like that and not noticing. I would remove the rocker link and check the threads and look for any type of metal shavings but if it all looks good and the bolt locks back down tight I would think you'd be fine.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Agreed. Torque down the pivot, depressurize the shock and run the frame through its travel. If nothing feels notchy or weird, run it.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anyone get Hope cranks to fit? My 30t chainring contacts the chainstay at the cable guide when everything is tightened up. I am running the standard 1 spacer on the BB drive side. Looks like I might be able to find a 1mm spacer to get the clearance I need but I thought I'd ask here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Agreed. Torque down the pivot, depressurize the shock and run the frame through its travel. If nothing feels notchy or weird, run it.
    Running it!

I love the way you can preload the bearings but still have a really tight linkage.

And boy am I glad I got the Extra Medium, compared to my hardtail (which has a huge ETT) this thing feels well...normal! I don't feel stretched out at all at 6'.

Short-Change-Hero
    Running it!

I love the way you can preload the bearings but still have a really tight linkage.

And boy am I glad I got the Extra Medium, compared to my hardtail (which has a huge ETT) this thing feels well...normal! I don't feel stretched out at all at 6'.
    PHeller, how does it feel to you compared to your Thumper/Unveil? I thought the medium felt almost exactly the same when I rode Scotts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Posted this in the TP thread but possibly worth positing here as well:

So now I've test ridden both a med The Smash and a med Trail Pistol at Trestle Park (a span of about 3 weeks between test rides). Admittedly I'm nowhere near a big air rider, I'm doing well if I clear 2/3 rds of the jumps on Spicy Chicken, Rainmaker, No Quarter, etc. However after testing both I really need convincing that the 140/140 setup is better/more worthy of my $.

Now I should add that The Smash was a good 34 lbs with coil SD shock and SPD platform pedals (weighed at the shop) and the TP was a race build with air shock, so down in the 29 lb area.

Naturally there's no doubt the TP felt a bit less cumbersome as a result. That being said, I was basically just as fatigued after 3+ hours of runs on the 130/120 TP as I was on the 140/140 Smash. According to Strava I was also in most cases a fair bit faster on the TP (to be fair I rode the TP 2nd, so that undeniably plays a part).

Both bikes are farrrrrrr more capable than I am but unless I'm missing something, very much a possibility, I don't presently see the major upside to the Smash for my present or future riding abilities. I'm happy to consider feedback from the community though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    Posted this in the TP thread but possibly worth positing here as well:

So now I've test ridden both a med The Smash and a med Trail Pistol at Trestle Park (a span of about 3 weeks between test rides). Admittedly I'm nowhere near a big air rider, I'm doing well if I clear 2/3 rds of the jumps on Spicy Chicken, Rainmaker, No Quarter, etc. However after testing both I really need convincing that the 140/140 setup is better/more worthy of my $.

Now I should add that The Smash was a good 34 lbs with coil SD shock and SPD platform pedals (weighed at the shop) and the TP was a race build with air shock, so down in the 29 lb area.

Naturally there's no doubt the TP felt a bit less cumbersome as a result. That being said, I was basically just as fatigued after 3+ hours of runs on the 130/120 TP as I was on the 140/140 Smash. According to Strava I was also in most cases a fair bit faster on the TP (to be fair I rode the TP 2nd, so that undeniably plays a part).

Both bikes are farrrrrrr more capable than I am but unless I'm missing something, very much a possibility, I don't presently see the major upside to the Smash for my present or future riding abilities. I'm happy to consider feedback from the community though!
    How often will you be riding bike parks? What do expect from your bikes? How do you ride?

I personally will sacrifice some comfort for pedaling efficiency. I charge climbs as hard as I charge descents. I bought a trail pistol with a coil shock 8 months ago and would make the same purchase again today save for a few parts changes. The trail pistol suits my riding style and trails.

Casieno just bought a smash. He rides the same trails I do but with less emphasis on racing to the top of every climb. The smash suits him.

My wife rides a smash on the same trails I ride. Again, less emphasis on climbing more on comfort and dh stability. For her the softer initial stroke helps the wheels get out of the way of all the big shit she runs over.

Different strokes for different folks, only you can decide which is best for you. That being said, you really can't make a bad decision here as both bikes can easily overlap one another in uses with a few tweaks to parts spec and set up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How often will you be riding bike parks? What do expect from your bikes? How do you ride?

I personally will sacrifice some comfort for pedaling efficiency. I charge climbs as hard as I charge descents. I bought a trail pistol with a coil shock 8 months ago and would make the same purchase again today save for a few parts changes. The trail pistol suits my riding style and trails.

Casieno just bought a smash. He rides the same trails I do but with less emphasis on racing to the top of every climb. The smash suits him.

My wife rides a smash on the same trails I ride. Again, less emphasis on climbing more on comfort and dh stability. For her the softer initial stroke helps the wheels get out of the way of all the big shit she runs over.

Different strokes for different folks, only you can decide which is best for you. That being said, you really can't make a bad decision here as both bikes can easily overlap one another in uses with a few tweaks to parts spec and set up.

Probably at least a half dozen times or so during the summer. Just moved back to the area so most riding will likely be around Golden and Evergreen. Plenty of climbing and I've always enjoyed a good technical climb.

If the TP is truly more efficient peddling then that is definitely of value to me. No doubt at Trestle I was not getting much peddling practice in though. So that could very well explain the differentiation that I wasn't noticing. A significant comparison weakness for me I'm gathering is that I simply don't really know what a full suspension bike is supposed to feel like.

If it sounds like I'm being overly dependent on the opinions and experiences of others that's primarily the reason why.

Looking forward... since there's no way to get a bike built before September anyway what are the thoughts on waiting to order until the new Shimano M9100 12 speed drivetrain and breaks are available?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Correction - I am out-of-shape / incapable of charging / racing to the top of a climb.

All that being said, I really like the slightly plusher ride that the Smash gives me compared to a 130/120 TP. A lot of that is because that's what I am comfortable with. I came from a 200/200 VP Free. So even stepping down to 150/140 is a huge change. The Smash really doesn't feel like it gives up anything to the VP Free.

I also built mine pretty damn burly (because I suck at climbing so why not make it worse......)

I have been riding only in plush mode so far. Going to switch it to Crush at some point soon and see if I feel a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    PHeller, how does it feel to you compared to your Thumper/Unveil? I thought the medium felt almost exactly the same when I rode Scotts.
    I haven't put any time on the bike on the trails yet, but garage fit tuning has me thinking it fits more similarly to my XL Commencal Meta than it does the old Unveil 7 (Size Large). The Unveil was pretty short compared to today bikes, and I ran it with a offset post and 60mm stem in order to keep the front end down on climbs. If you rode a Medium Thumper, I think a Medium TP would feel pretty good, and maybe allow a slightly shorter stem. It's the jump up to a Large (465 to 490 reach) that will stretch you out, if that's what you're looking for.

I'm a big fan of lower stack for trail riding. I'd sooner adjust stack with a few stem spacers and a riser bar then limit myself on used fork due to steerer length, but then again I was between sizes probably so thats why I feel better than a 6'2" guy on a 120mm head tube.

As the years have gone by I've learned that I like a more aggressive "XC" position on the bike, despite the fact that my downhill skills have great improved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm 6'7" with a 34" pants inseam, running a 175mm travel, 490mm long RaceFace Turbine dropper on my XL Smash...
    How much post is out of the frame on your setup? I currently have a 150mm dropper but will eventually go to a 200mm on the XXL I have coming. Just wanted to know if the 150 will stick up too much when it is fully dropped. Thanks.

-Nolan

As an aside, I built up my new-to-me Extra Medium Smash in None More Black with Deluxe RT, Fox 34 PLUS, Zee/SLX, SRAM X1 cranks, 125mm Command Post and 35mm x 800mm DH heavy bar/stem setup. With Mezcal 29x2.6 front (865g) and Ardent Race (745g) on Velocity Blunt SS 27mm internal rim on DT350 hubs.

No Carbon. Anywhere.

30.5lbs on the luggage scale.

The Smash and Pistol are essentially the same bike. The Pistol sheds a bit of weight by having a few grams lighter shock and a few grams lighter seat stay (although GG has indicated the Smash may have some other beefier tubes too.)

However, they are so close in terms of travel, that both can be run with a Pike (4.1lbs) or a 34 (4.1lbs) at 150mm.

Part of the reason the Smash always ends up heavier is because people often build them with coils, Lyrik or 36, big droppers, heavy tires, CushCore, etc. That's the beauty of the bike, it can be both a relatively lightweight trail bike, and it can also be a bikepark crusher.

Short-Change-Hero
    I haven't put any time on the bike on the trails yet, but garage fit tuning has me thinking it fits more similarly to my XL Commencal Meta than it does the old Unveil 7 (Size Large). The Unveil was pretty short compared to today bikes, and I ran it with a offset post and 60mm stem in order to keep the front end down on climbs. If you rode a Medium Thumper, I think a Medium TP would feel pretty good, and maybe allow a slightly shorter stem. It's the jump up to a Large (465 to 490 reach) that will stretch you out, if that's what you're looking for.

I'm a big fan of lower stack for trail riding. I'd sooner adjust stack with a few stem spacers and a riser bar then limit myself on used fork due to steerer length, but then again I was between sizes probably so thats why I feel better than a 6'2" guy on a 120mm head tube.

As the years have gone by I've learned that I like a more aggressive "XC" position on the bike, despite the fact that my downhill skills have great improved.
    Ah ok.. See I run a Large Thumper/Unveil9 with a 75mm stem and the seat pushed back on the rails. Riding Scott's medium Smash with a 40mm stem (I think that's what he said) and the seat pushed up on the rails had me in almost the exact same seated position.

And I am with you, with my previous XC race background but oriented more towards Trail riding now I am finding that I am liking a more aggressive XC setup that has the ability to point down and handle it. I am not a big hucker, don't normally take big drops (will option to roll it if I can) so the super stretched out feeling for aggressive downhill stuff is not completely needed.

Greg, how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    Probably at least a half dozen times or so during the summer. Just moved back to the area so most riding will likely be around Golden and Evergreen. Plenty of climbing and I've always enjoyed a good technical climb.

If the TP is truly more efficient peddling then that is definitely of value to me. No doubt at Trestle I was not getting much peddling practice in though. So that could very well explain the differentiation that I wasn't noticing. A significant comparison weakness for me I'm gathering is that I simply don't really know what a full suspension bike is supposed to feel like.

If it sounds like I'm being overly dependent on the opinions and experiences of others that's primarily the reason why.

Looking forward... since there's no way to get a bike built before September anyway what are the thoughts on waiting to order until the new Shimano M9100 12 speed drivetrain and breaks are available?
    The problem with opinions is that everyone will tend to try to justify why the bike they spent a bunch of money on is best.

In my opinion you need to ride as many full suspension bikes as you can. You can't go wrong with either a TP or a smash, but you'll be able to make an informed decision if you can pick out a few general things about fs bikes that you either like or don't like.

I bought my trail pistol in December and the wait was 3 weeks, delayed by an mrp ribbon that I ended up not getting because I am impatient. I ordered my smash in May and got it last week. The wait sucked. I'm eyeing up a pedalhead frame and will definitely wait until the off season to order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    How much post is out of the frame on your setup? I currently have a 150mm dropper but will eventually go to a 200mm on the XXL I have coming. Just wanted to know if the 150 will stick up too much when it is fully dropped. Thanks.

-Nolan
    I'm 6'6" with 36.5" inseam. measured from floor to a book in my crotch. My 9.8 200mm dropper is up about 1.5-2" from fully slammed in my XL.
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead XL
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash XL

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    I'm 6'6" with 36.5" inseam. measured from floor to a book in my crotch. My 9.8 200mm dropper is up about 1.5-2" from fully slammed in my XL.
    Thank you sir!!

So I should get a 200mm dropper for my 41" inseam right away, as there may be too much post coming up out of the frame on my Lev 150mm fully dropped? I would like to be inside the bike as much as possible on the downs and hate to have the seat in the way when it could be 2" lower.

Should have all the parts in for when the frame arrives, going with a Avalanche Woodie rear shock, Hadley hubs on Derby rims, XX1 drivetrain with a Wolftooth stainless steel 26t chainring, 110 headset, XTR Trail brakes, Thompson Carbon bar and a 50mm stem, and my older Fox 34 150mm with avalanche damper and Push bottom out tokens. It has an uncut steerer tube so this should fit the XXL Smash nicely.

Really excited for this bike and seeing all the other tall and heavy guys already loving theirs is adding to the stoke!!!

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Thank you sir!!

So I should get a 200mm dropper for my 41" inseam right away, as there may be too much post coming up out of the frame on my Lev 150mm fully dropped? I would like to be inside the bike as much as possible on the downs and hate to have the seat in the way when it could be 2" lower.

Should have all the parts in for when the frame arrives, going with a Avalanche Woodie rear shock, Hadley hubs on Derby rims, XX1 drivetrain with a Wolftooth stainless steel 26t chainring, 110 headset, XTR Trail brakes, Thompson Carbon bar and a 50mm stem, and my older Fox 34 150mm with avalanche damper and Push bottom out tokens. It has an uncut steerer tube so this should fit the XXL Smash nicely.

Really excited for this bike and seeing all the other tall and heavy guys already loving theirs is adding to the stoke!!!

-Nolan
    So that was your shock that Craig threw up on Facebook the other day?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't think so, he said he had 2 others for the smash before me.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I noticed on page 3 there was some talk of Smash possibly being able to run non plus 27.5 wheelset with a long stroke shock, without swapping seatstay. Is this confirmed? If so does it get you the 165mm and same geo/kinematics as the Megatrail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm 6' with a 33" inseam as well, and I went with a medium frame and the 185 mm bike yoke revive. I'm very happy with both choices, and since I ride more techy trails than big downhills I'm happy with the medium over the large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steeple View Post
    I'm 6' with a 33" inseam as well, and I went with a medium frame and the 185 mm bike yoke revive. I'm very happy with both choices, and since I ride more techy trails than big downhills I'm happy with the medium over the large.
    I ended up going with a large and a 40mm stem. Hopefully it was the right decision. It might take me a while to figure how to deal with the switchbacks we have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    I noticed on page 3 there was some talk of Smash possibly being able to run non plus 27.5 wheelset with a long stroke shock, without swapping seatstay. Is this confirmed? If so does it get you the 165mm and same geo/kinematics as the Megatrail?
    You definitely can run the Smash with that setup, but it will not be the same geo/kinematics as the Megatrail. You need to swap seatstays be a Megatrail (being the only differing frame component between the two). I have both the Smash and the Megatrail seatstays, so I have played around with all the different setups.

If you run the Smash with 27.5 wheels, the bottom bracket is a little low; sorry, I haven't measured it, so I don't know exactly how low. The Mega stays are longer (along with a few other changes) so it raises the bottom bracket some. With the longer shock and rear travel, that bottom bracket gets pretty dang low.

As far as the fork is concerned, I run the Megatrail / Shred Dogg with my 29" fork. From what I recall, the A-C length of a 160mm 29" fork is similar to the A-C of a 170mm 27.5" fork, so you don't really need to swap out forks.

In my opinion, if you want to run 27.5 non-plus wheelset with the smash, I'd probably stick with the shorter stroke shock so the bottom bracket doesn't drop too far. Definitely doable with the longer stroke shock, but you might be a little low in the BB. Admittedly, I've only really ever run the longer stroke shock with a full 27.5 wheelset when running the Megatrail seatstays, so I don't really have experience with that setup and the Smash seatstays.

I destroyed my rear wheel in practice for my race last weekend, but since I bring my 27.5 wheelset as my backup wheels, I opted to race with the 27.5 rear wheel and 29" front with the longer stroke Megatrail shock. Since it was an enduro race down some steep and gnarly tracks at Angel Fire, NM, I liked the slacker geo and lower bottom bracket, so I used the Smash seatstays instead of the Megatrail ones. The photos show the bike in the 27.5 / 29 configuration (The Mullet - business in front, party in the rear).

GG Smash 140mm 29er-img_20180720_152115_855-1-.jpg
    GG Smash 140mm 29er-img_20180721_185227_138-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steeple View Post
    How do you like that dropper? Any issues? How much post is exposed out of the frame?
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I ended up going with a large and a 40mm stem. Hopefully it was the right decision. It might take me a while to figure how to deal with the switchbacks we have.
    I'm sure that the large will be good! I was coming from a rigid single-speed xc bike, so going with the longer large would have been a bit extreme for my taste/skill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    How do you like that dropper? Any issues? How much post is exposed out of the frame?
    I am about the same size, 5'11", 33" inseam. I have a medium with the 185 bike yoke revive dropper. I have less than a month on the bike (probably 25 ish hours total). So far I really really like the dropper.

Here is the amount exposed from the frame (I pushed it down slightly from how it was delivered)

Short-Change-Hero
    Greg, how tall are you?
    I am 6' with an apex index of ~1.5" and 31" inseam (pant inseam).

The other thing to remember is the Nurse_Ben is getting an Extra Medium in a couple of weeks and he is local to me. Since I have already had some time on a standard Medium, I will get a chance to ride Ben's and make a good comparison. With my sizing, I am sure that I could be happy on the Medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nice! Sweet setup! Looks like it paid off with the win!

I had my Ventana from mid 2013 designed for 29/27.5 for the short chainstays (17 inch) and still having140/160 travel. Iíve really like that setup, but only recently realized it is still a little undersized for me when I got the Waltworks which has very similar geo to the XXL Smash but 160mm and 29+wheels. The seat angle is not nearly as steep though.

Are you using the 46 or 51mm offset fork? Iím assuming the 46 would work much better if you are running it like a MT?

GG Smash 140mm 29er-smashfirstride.jpg

Got on the Smash for it's first ride (at least under my ass) yesterday evening after work. We've got a little skills park and jump line nearby so I hit that up to get acquainted with it, then did 16 miles of trail riding including a local tech trail that is 2 miles of boulder hopping. The Smash exceeded all expectations.

I love the room of the Extra Medium for my 6' build. I couldn't imagine riding a Medium, but that's also because I get the reach of a Large with the lower stack of a Medium. I think I noticed the higher stack of the Large more than I noticed the shortness of the Medium.

I've got a few other details to work out, including a shorter stem, moving down to a 31.8 bar to help with fatigue, and eventually getting a non-offset post. I have burlier tires too, for when I need them, but the Ardent/Mezcal does fine for trail riding.

I'm in the minority of Smash riders who doesn't feel the need to rush out and get a coil shock immediately. I think I'll want one for big mountain and Moab, but I'll wait for the right deal. I pulled all the volume spacers out of the Deluxe and ran 30% sag. Felt good.

Same with the fork. I've been running this 34 PLUS for 2 years now, and while I notice the 51mm offset, I don't notice any lack of stiffness or performance. I'd be inclined to move to a 2018+ Pike for a lower offset and added stiffness (and black Stanchions).

I got this frame because it can utilize so much of my parts-bin that I can save a lot of money and have tons of spares. I'm not entirely sure I'll keep my hardtail, but we'll see. Not a lot of room in the frame for bikepacking adventures, then again I don't do much bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the shakedown report! How does it feel in the air and off drops? How much do you weigh, if you will excuse my rudeness? 😜

mtbr member

-Nolan
    Never got notified you quoted me...sorry...do these pics answer your questions?

I'm 240lbs (much to my chagrin). 1 or 2 clicks out from full slow on the rebound. Nice is that the air shock doesn't seem overwhelmed by heavier weight for reasons below.

Here's some good info and analysis from "Guy.Ford"

"Leverage Ratios - Smash= 2.43, TP=2.38 (travel/shock stroke=LR). TP has the lower LR, however that's only part of the equation as I'm finding out. Leverage curve has a lot to do with how a bike rides, esp for bigger folk such as us. For example, I thought the Transition Sentinel and GG Smash would be very similar in ride characteristics just looking at LR and basic shock configuration, however I've since learned that the Sentinel has a very linear Lev Curve which means less progressive, whereas the Smash has a much higher degree of progression, making it more ideal for larger riders. Overall, from what I have gathered GG bikes tend to have a higher degree of progression than similar bikes.

Foes who used to employ a 2:1 ratio which was great in some respects (easier on shocks/dampers, good for clydes) however all wasn't gold from my experience it also made for harsh ride, which I'd assume is why he's now gone to a more compliant 2:3."

Stiffness isn't an issue at all, and with the ability to dial in preload on the bearings you can be assured that the suspension action is smooth and the fastners are tight. I had problems in the past with suspensions that would bind if you went too crazy on tightening bearing bolts so you had to use locktite to keep them at a specific torque, not an issue on this frame.

As far as shaped dirt jump are concerned, it's a big bike with big wheels. Not helping is my running slightly softer setup. With the longer reach and bigger wheelbase, this bike is more like a DH bike in its playfulness, meant more for high speed rollers. Some drops that normally worry me on other bikes this one just plowed through, due in part to the suspension kinematics, frame stiffness, and long reach/wheelbase. I think this is partially why, for a bike with "only" 140mm travel and 29" wheels, the Smash can be ridden quiet comfortably at the bike park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That sounds awesome...I have definitely noticed much of the same shock issues you are talking about on other bikes. The Ventana and WW sound very similar to the leverage ratio of thevSmash, with maybe a little more progressiveness on the Smash.

You said the frame is stiff, is the rear end also quite noticeably stiff? I got used to that with the WW and Ventana and would love to not be giving that up.....

Yea it's a pretty beefy frame with a compact Horst-Link setup, and the huge bearing/pivot axle of the asymmetric chain-stays all contributing to a bike without noticeable flex.

If it is flexing, it's merely because this isn't a DH bike and they wanted to keep the frame weight reasonable with a relatively simple linkage design.

I'm sure if you run 29x2.8s in the rear and go slamming off-camber drops you might get some tire rub, but the fact that very few have broken a frame (at least that we heard of) in 2 years since the new design and 4 or so years since the first Megatrail V1 hit the market...that says a lot, especially for a small scale manufacturer making bikes to be ridden hard.

I'd say that if you're used to Ventana and Walt Works style linkage, you'll be impressed with the stiffness of the GG products. Not that WW or Ventana makes flexy frames, but the linkage design (seatstay connecting to rocker aft of seat tube) is inherently more flexy than connecting in front of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    🤘🤘🙏

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Are you using the 46 or 51mm offset fork? Iím assuming the 46 would work much better if you are running it like a MT?
    I had the 46mm offset, or whatever the shorter one was, on my Ribbon Coil for that exact reason. After I found out it doesn't really make much difference, I went with the normal 51mm on the Fox. No real big benefit or drawback going with either offset, in my opinion, you just pilot the two slightly differently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes that's perfect thank you!

-Nolan