Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,228 of 1228
    The Riddler
    Potential buyer here...couple questions:

Max chainring size? Will a 34 be ok?

Seem like coils are pretty popular on this bike, front and back. Any reason air would be preferable in some terrain, beyond the typical weight/adjustability/progressive nature? Or is the plush/crush mode switch enough to provide different platforms?

Will be piloting mine in New England, mix of slow jank and fast chunder. Anything tame and I'll probably just ride the hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post

Seem like coils are pretty popular on this bike, front and back. Any reason air would be preferable in some terrain, beyond the typical weight/adjustability/progressive nature? Or is the plush/crush mode switch enough to provide different platforms?

Will be piloting mine in New England, mix of slow jank and fast chunder. Anything tame and I'll probably just ride the hardtail.
    Yes, The Smash Owner's Manual states that 34t is the maximum chainring size. That's a big 'un! I personally run a 30t w/ 11-speed e13 cassette.

I'm not sure if there would be a place where *performance* of an air shock would be preferable. Potentially on like smooth flow trails where you aren't able to get your choice of coil to perform the way you like. Plush/Crush is definitely noticeable and you can use that to help you adjust for different riding areas / conditions / styles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Iím living in SoCal, but Iím originally from New England and still ride there regularly when I visit my folks. As far as the coil goes, the only down side for the rooty and rocky, near constant up and down you have out there would be the weight, but I think that is easily offset by how much energy youíll save by not getting [as] beat to death

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Has anyone rode the smash and trailpistol?
    The trail pistol and the smash have very similar geometry. I rode Little_Twin's trail pistol set-up with a 130 rear coil / 150 front. I don't have a refined enough seat of the pants feel to actually describe the difference between them. My smash at 140/150 feels pretty similar.

the Smash is designed to be a little more smashy than the Trail Pistol (little plusher feel etc). But, I think in practice they are really really similar. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just need to decide if you want 120 or 140mm of rear travel.

The geo might be similar, but you know, the pedalhead lacks rear travel
    Last edited by cassieno; 4 Days Ago at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What are you guys running for super deluxe spring weights?
    Spring weight, geared rider weight, %sag, type of riding? Just curious since calculators donít seem to be consistent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I weigh about 190 in shorts and tshirt and settled on a 425 spring to get to that 30% sag. When I had the 450 with the spring collar just tight enough to take the slack out of the system, I was at 28% sag with pack on in full riding gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I weigh about 190 in shorts and tshirt and settled on a 425 spring to get to that 30% sag. When I had the 450 with the spring collar just tight enough to take the slack out of the system, I was at 28% sag with pack on in full riding gear.
    Cool. Iím about 190 also. Shock is coming with a 450lb spring. I was under the impression that it would be too soft for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think things like fork travel and subsequent head angle/seat angles could have a small effect but you should be very close with a 450.

mtbr member
    I'm 150 in riding gear, GG sent me a 300 with my super deluxe, this came in at about 32% sag but I found I was bottoming out way too often so I went up to 325, which sits at 28% and has been great but now that its getting to be bike park and racing season I'm starting to blow through it a bit much. Probably will settle on 350 for racing/ bikepark season and 325 for the rest of the year.

Also I just got Cushcore for The Smash, gonna install it one of these days and see how it goes. This bike is just too good I find myself hiting things so much harder and faster than ever before and my tires and rims can't keep up! Already put a good dent in my rear wheel. Just hoping the install process goes smoothly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    195. Probably close to 210 in bike park riding gear. I put a 500# spring on mine. So far feels great. Going to Northstar and downieville next week, and can report back.

Probably will just hit 30% sag in plush mode with all my bike park gear on.

mtbr member
    I got a shipping notification that my new shirt is on its way!

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Riddler
    Pretty much sold on a smash! Two questions...

Currently riding a Santa Cruz 5010, 27.5 setup as a mini shredder at 150/130, with beefy tires and reservoir shock. Currently finding my way into bigger terrain and drops/jumps. Small part of me is worried I'll miss the 5010. Will the Smash be just as if not more fun and help to progress further with this type of terrain? 5010 is definitely more of a small trail bike than anything else but it's a precision weapon and rides above it's weight class hen I'm riding well.

Second one is it seems the MRP ribbon coil fork gets a lot of love. I currently ride a Pike with a Luftkappe. Will the coil perform better/differently than a 2019 Lyrik with Luftkappe? Only component choice I'm stuck on. Definitely going with MRP Hazzard coil for the rear.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How much do you weigh, and what year is your Pike? Older (~'14/'15) Pikes are known to be harsh for midweight riders, which is probably why you put the Luftkappe on yours. A coil fork will definitely help make the front end feel very supple over small bumps, at cost of weight. That said, lots of the newer air forks are supposed to much better small bump compliance than your older Pike, especially ones with adjustable positive and negative chamber pressures like the MRP Ribbon and DVO Diamond.

I put a Luftkappe on my '18 Fox 36, and didn't really notice any difference. You might not need it on a '19 Lyrik or Pike.

Check out the Pinkbike review of the Smash... they definitely make it sound like it will be at home on the terrain you're talking about, especially if you long fork it. The Smash's slacker head angle will feel dramatically better on that sort of riding than your 5010, along with the roomier cockpit.

mtbr member
    Small part of me is worried I'll miss the 5010. Will the Smash be just as if not more fun and help to progress further with this type of terrain? 5010 is definitely more of a small trail bike than anything else but it's a precision weapon and rides above it's weight class hen I'm riding well.

Second one is it seems the MRP ribbon coil fork gets a lot of love. I currently ride a Pike with a Luftkappe. Will the coil perform better/differently than a 2019 Lyrik with Luftkappe? Only component choice I'm stuck on. Definitely going with MRP Hazzard coil for the rear.

Thanks!
    2nd Q first. The coil is totally different. Will you love it? Probably.

Will you miss the 5010? Maybe? The Smash is more like the High Tower/HT LT. So it's not as nimble as a short travel 275er especially with a coil rear.. That doesn't mean it will suck, but if you wanted a 29er more like the 5010 I'd get the Trail Pistol with an air shock + air fork.

It all comes to down to what you expect.

The Smash is amazing. If you expect something else maybe it won't blow your socks off. Hard to say based on internet communications.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Honestly, I donít love my Ribbon Coil. I liked my Fox 36 better because I like the firmness of it. I also donít like the squishing noise the Ribbon makes. Itís totally a problem thatís just me but itís annoying. With all that said I bet Iím in the minority.

With all THAT said, I just finished ordering my Smash. I canít wait!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really like my ribbon air, but I am comparing it to a 888 and a 66 so....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    I liked my Fox 36 better because I like the firmness of it.
    There are a few ways to make the Ribbon coil firmer....pre-load and install a stiffer spring. The damper noise is what it is. I noticed it a bunch at first, but a few months in I don't hear it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Stoked to be back in the saddle after a few months recovery from breaking my wrist and a couple ribs (yes on the Smash). Starting to get my ride legs back and shedding some beer weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG Smash 140mm 29er-smash-bennet.jpg  

loud hubs save lives

GG Smash 140mm 29er

Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Stoked to be back in the saddle after a few months recovery from breaking my wrist and a couple ribs (yes on the Smash). Starting to get my ride legs back and shedding some beer weight
    Looking Glass FTW. Bennet Gap is such a fun trail. Welcome back.
    Last edited by sennaster; 1 Day Ago at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    The only thing I havenít picked out for my Smash is cranks. Whatís everyone running?

mtbr member
    RF Next R's.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got the Turbine's. They seem to do the job. I wanted to spend money on the bike in other places (like wheels, fork, brakes, Eagle etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    RF Next R's.
    Same here. I've got 3 pairs of RF cranks and had no issues with any of them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I have no complaint about that. My complaint [as well as many others] is the multiple XT brake failures [wandering bite point] I've experienced and pretty much everyone I ride with has experienced with the current generation of those brakes.

Combine limited modulation, high stopping power and a wandering bite point...equals not much fun at all. Hence why I went SRAM for brakes on the Smash.

I expect Shimano will solve the issue during the next redesign, but I was not willing to spend more $$ on their product until they do. Previous versions of their brakes were great and I would have stayed Shimano until the recent unpleasantness.

That said the Codes on the Smash work well and have been trouble free.
    I'd never experienced this wandering bite point before until this last weekend. Maybe it's the new lever. The bite point was all over the place when I was at the bike park.

Annoying AF. I'm not sure if I want to put up with it or get some 4-pot Curas or Quadiems.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I'd never experienced this wandering bite point before until this last weekend. Maybe it's the new lever. The bite point was all over the place when I was at the bike park.

Annoying AF. I'm not sure if I want to put up with it or get some 4-pot Curas or Quadiems.
    Ya it's hard to deal with. Every time you go to brake it's a surprise whether you lock your wheel up and slide or get nothing. I replaced one failed lever with a fresh one and now the new one is starting to do the same thing. I mentioned it to my riding buddies and was surprised to hear everyone was having the same issue.

I've got some older XTR brakes I'll probably swap in on the bike with problematic XTs for now. Hopefully Shimano sorts it out in the next redesign.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

GG Smash 140mm 29er

Ya it's hard to deal with. Every time you go to brake it's a surprise whether you lock your wheel up and slide or get nothing. I replaced one failed lever with a fresh one and now the new one is starting to do the same thing. I mentioned it to my riding buddies and was surprised to hear everyone was having the same issue.

I've got some older XTR brakes I'll probably swap in on the bike with problematic XTs for now. Hopefully Shimano sorts it out in the next redesign.
    I've had shimano brakes on every bike I've ever owned. I have found that with a thorough bleeding once every 5 or 6 rides you can keep the issue you are describing at bay. I think the issue is in the master cylinder as my most current zee's do the same thing if I met the fluid get old. I have also found that on levers with adjustable bite point it is important the bleed with the screw all the way out, then turn it all the way in and pump the lever, finally back it all the way out again and gently push fluid from the caliper while installing the reservoir screw and o ring. The issue seems to be a tiny amount of air getting trapped in the plunger assembly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    I've had shimano brakes on every bike I've ever owned. I have found that with a thorough bleeding once every 5 or 6 rides you can keep the issue you are describing at bay.
    I'm not bleeding my brakes every two weeks or less. At least to me that's not a solution.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm not bleeding my brakes every two weeks or less. At least to me that's not a solution.
    It's the price I pay to have functioning brakes. I was bitten too many times by the sram "sticky master cylinder". I've gotten very fast at bleeding shimano brakes. I do all my bikes at once and fortunately have enough bikes that I can spread the time out enough to bleed once a month.

One day I'll just bite the bullet and get some hopes.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213