Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Little_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439

    GG set up database

    With GG bikes having such a wide range of set up options and ride characteristics I thought it might be interesting to see how everyone is running their bike and how they are riding them. It might also help new owners with getting their bike dialed in.

    Rider weight:
    Skill level:
    Where do you ride:
    Trail type the bike is used for:


    Model and size:
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail:
    Shock:
    Shock settings:
    Fork model and travel:
    Fork spring or air pressure:
    Fork settings:
    Standout characteristics:
    Anything about your setup you don't like?:

    My thought is that the above info can help riders get the most out of their own bikes and again help set others in the right direction.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Little_twin; 02-25-2018 at 08:31 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Little_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439
    Rider weight: 175 lbs
    Skill level: expert
    Where do you ride: Northern California
    Trail type the bike is used for: steep fire road climbs with smooth flowing to medium rocky single track descents. Some sections are very steep but very little big chunky rocks


    Model and size: Trail Pistol "pistola" medium
    Plush or crush: crush
    Front and rear sag: 33mm front/ 12mm rear
    Shock: ccdb il coil
    Shock settings: 450lb spring 8mm preload
    HSC 2 out LSC 7 out HSR 1.5 out LSR 11 out
    Fork model and travel: Lyrik RC 150mm
    Fork spring or air pressure: 85 psi
    Tokens: 1
    Fork settings: LSC 9 out, rebound 12 out

    Standout characteristics: It happily plows over anything and rarely looses traction or gets out of shape. Very stable at speed.

    Anything about your setup you don't like?: it can be difficult to turn as speed increases. I've found that if I increase rear preload slightly it turns in and holds a line better but looses some of the small bump sensitivity. I have yet to try plush mode because I worry that I'll blow through rear travel more quickly and end up with the bb lower than I'd like when riding at speed.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    always licking the glass
    Reputation: stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,371
    Sorry, can you add gravity or trail mode for the Shred Dogg and Megatrail? Plush/Crush is for the Trail Pistol and Smash.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

  4. #4
    always licking the glass
    Reputation: stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,371
    Rider weight: 200 lb
    Skill level: intermediate down, sucky up
    Where do you ride: CO
    Trail type the bike is used for: Anything from Dirt Jumps to Trail to DH


    Model and size: Shred Dogg, XS
    Main mode used: Gravity
    Shock: 11-6
    Shock settings: to be posted. I recently changed mine.
    Fork model and travel: 170mm Fox 36 (same AtoC as a 160mm Lyrik)
    Fork spring or air pressure: to be posted. I recently changed mine.
    Fork settings: to be posted. I recently changed mine.
    Standout characteristics: also running a -1 works headset
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: Nope. Solidly mine now
    Last edited by stripes; 04-09-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,732
    165 lbs/5'10.5"/long limbs, short torso
    Some skill
    Western US pedal-accessed singletrack
    Steep/rough, rock, loose junk, mountain circuits; primitive roads when necessary

    M Smash
    Plush mode except for one ride in Crush
    RS SD Coil RCT @ 35% sag, rebound 5 clicks from open, LSC 2 clicks from open
    RS Pike RC 140 @ 65 lbs, two tokens, rebound 9 clicks from open, LSC open

    Works well for intended use. Demoíed for three days before order. Canít say Iíd change anything. Now that this bike size feels normal, Iím curious about the M Long size. Bigger forks will always be there.

    Standout characteristics:
    ē Climbs better than me
    ē Nimbly fun
    ē Smashes terrain better than my old Bronson
    ē US made
    ē On-it customer service



  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Little_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Sorry, can you add gravity or trail mode for the Shred Dogg and Megatrail? Plush/Crush is for the Trail Pistol and Smash.
    I didn't realize the other bikes had different names for the settings. Edited for accuracy and inclusion.

    I just changed my bike entirely last night. I will post my findings once I get a ride or two on it.

    It's very interesting to see where people are settling as far as their shock and fork settings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Endurobro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24
    Rider weight: 185
    Skill level: Pro guide and skills coach
    Where do you ride: SW Virginia/ Roanoke
    Trail type the bike is used for: Whatever the mountains can throw at me!


    Model and size: Medium Megatrail
    Gravity or trail: Gravity
    Shock: Rockshox super deluxe coil
    Shock settings: 3 clicks rebound 2 spins on preload.
    Fork model and travel: Rockshox Pike RC 160 / MRP Ribbon coil 170 on the way.
    Fork spring or air pressure: 75psi
    Fork settings: 4 clicks on the charger 2 tokens
    Standout characteristics: Greedo action figure on my stem
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: I don't get to ride it as much as I want!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    245
    Rider weight: 71.5Ē @ 170lbs, plus or minus 2-3 beers
    Skill level: More skilled than yesterday, less than tomorrow
    Where do you ride: SoCal and AZ
    Trail type the bike is used for: Anything that goes up then comes back down, ideally over as many rocks and jumps as possible, but if my wheels are on dirt, Iím happy.

    Model and size: Medium Smash
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail: Both, I love Crush with the coil for general trail riding, but I seek out places where only Plush will do

    Shock: SD Coil
    Shock settings: 400lb coil (I wish there was a 375), 15.5mm preload/~30% sag, LSR 10, LSC 6

    Fork model and travel: Pike with ACS3 coil @ 150mm.
    Fork spring or air pressure: Currently on the green spring, Iím between weights
    Fork settings: LSR: 13 from open, LSC: 3

    Standout characteristics: At my weight, Iím always between spring weights, so since Iím using the Smash for racing this year, I have the heavier spring on it. Itís still very stable in the rough and supple over the small chatter, but itís firmer than I might like for park riding.

    Anything about your setup you don't like?: I still think there should be an optional shorter CS setup for those that donít need/want plus or 2.6 tire compatibility, but I donít really have an issue with how it feels. Iím just an optimizer.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stalkerfiveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,244
    Rider weight:205
    Skill level:Intermidiate
    Where do you ride:GA
    Trail type the bike is used for:Local XC and north GA mountains (climb a LOT to shred a lot)


    Model and size: Pistola/Large
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail: Crush
    Shock: Super Deluxe
    Shock settings: 220psi 8 clicks out Redbound
    Fork model and travel:MRP Ribbon
    Fork spring or air pressure: 90pos/98neg
    Fork settings:+3 Ramp, 8 clicks out rebound and zero clicks low speed comp

    Standout characteristics:The bike just sends anything. Set up 130 rear and 140 front it dump trucks anything you point it at.

    Anything about your setup you don't like?:There's easily an extra inch between the shock reservoir and the bottle cage when fully compressed. The cage mounts could have easily been lower to accommodate larger/taller bottles. I will probably get a B-RAD bar to lower the cage before the hot humid summer in the south arrives!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Little_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post

    Anything about your setup you don't like?:There's easily an extra inch between the shock reservoir and the bottle cage when fully compressed. The cage mounts could have easily been lower to accommodate larger/taller bottles. I will probably get a B-RAD bar to lower the cage before the hot humid summer in the south arrives!
    The Whyte bikes bottle cage has enough room to drill more holes and lower the cage towards the shock. This is the route I went. If you go low enough you will have to shave some material off the side of the cage for the cables to pass by.


    This is the cage I got.
    https://www.whyteusa.bike/products/w...cage-side-load

    This is on a medium frame.

    IMG_5409
    IMG_5410


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    All Fun Rider
    Reputation: pixel_nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    199

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Rider weight: 162 lbs a la carte, ~170 geared
    Rider height: 6'
    Skill level: Pretty badass but not as steezy as I think I am 7 years of riding under the belt. I can't do a whip yet and my manuals last about 2 seconds.
    Where do you ride: Northwest Arkansas Singletrack, Coler Freeride, Moab, Sedona, Winter Park, wherever the good stuff is!
    Trail type the bike is used for: Tame flat-turn woodsy singletrack to park sessions at Windrock DH park.


    Model and size: 2017 Shred Dogg, Medium
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail: Gravity (Trail is reserved for a trip to CO where I've gotta climb 3K ft.)
    Shock: Super Deluxe RC3
    Shock settings: 155 psi, Open setting all the way. Trail/Climb are only used for pump-track jumpy type stuff. 6/11 clicks on rebound damping (0 being undamped).
    Fork model and travel: 2017 Lyrik RC 160mm, Push ACS-3 Coil kit.
    Fork spring or air pressure: Push Blue coil.
    Fork settings: Push air bump stop unit at 20 psi. 5/20 clicks of rebound damping (0 being undamped). 0 Preload spacers on the coil. LSC 7 or 8 clicks out of 13, 0 being undamped. Nets 19% sag.
    Standout characteristics: Planted af but likes to jump. I need a bar-twist counter when I ride! Climbs like a goat. When I hop on my friend's '17 Santa Cruz Hightower CC the seat tube angle feels bad by comparison-- GG has awesome geo.
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: I haven't been able to afford a coil for the back yet-- I'll probably get a Megatrail-stroke coil for the rear for DH days. Also the 2017 front triangle has 30mm less dropper insertion depth than the 2018-- I had issues getting a 150mm 9point8 to fit and inevitably ended up back on the 125mm KS LEV which works better. The stock seat collar is easy to overtorque to get the necessary force. I replaced the collar with a Salsa Lip Lock collar and a mere 25 in-lbs are all I need to secure my dropper now.
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg w/ 160mm ACS-3'd Lyrik

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    457
    Rider: 6'2, 195-200 dressed to ride
    Model and size: Shred Dogg, Large
    Main mode used: Gravity
    Shock: RS Deluxe RT, 11-6 in the mail will update and compare
    Shock settings: I like the RT set to 25% sag in "open". More sag than this was not supportive enough but 25% feels awesome--really impressed with the RT. I use the firm setting for fire road climbs and jump trails.
    Fork model and travel: 160mm Fox 36 (PUSH tune, custom air seal head with larger negative spring volume, one blue volume reducer)
    Fork spring or air pressure: 68 psi on my pump
    Fork settings: HSC 4-6 clicks from open, LSC 6-8 clicks from open
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: Love this thing--a solid upgrade from the V1 megatrail. Only issue I've had is heel clearance on the drive side more than the nondrive. Guess that is the trade off for mega tire clearance. With RF Next G4 cranks, I had to put the 2.5mm spacer on the drive side to get more room for my heel and for the cranks (RF instructions say to place it on nondrive side). Much better now.
    Last edited by NCBigHit; 04-16-2018 at 07:28 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    27
    Rider weight: 200 naked, 210 geared up
    Rider height: 5,7
    Skill level: intermediate
    Where do you ride: CO front range primarily
    Trail type the bike is used for: More rocks the better

    Model and size: 2017 Trail Pistola, Medium
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail: Crush
    Shock: Super Deluxe RC3 (130mm)
    Shock settings: 193 psi, Open setting unless road climbing. 7/10 clicks rebound.
    Fork model and travel: 2018 MRP Ribbon 140mm,
    Fork spring or air pressure: Air
    Fork settings: Currently at 81.5 PSI positive chamber and 87.5 in the negative chamber. 8 clicks rebound, 0 compression, and about 10 clicks ramp control
    Standout characteristics: Smashes everything, more capable than I am, great geo, great climber
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: Nope!
    Last edited by pianoman84d; 04-11-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    I like rocks

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    78
    Rider weight: 175ish geared up (incl. water)
    Skill level: Intermediate? Only riding a few times a year before this year
    Where do you ride: PNW, Western Washington State
    Trail type the bike is used for: No lifts and no big scary hits
    Model and size: Medium Shred Dogg
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail: Gravity only so far

    Shock: Fox DPX2 factory
    Shock settings: 225psi (~20% sag), .4in3 token, rebound 6 from open, lsc 3 from open

    Fork: Fox 36 factory 160mm HSC/LSC
    Fork setttings: 90psi (~15% sag), no tokens, rebound 12 from open, lsc 2 from open, hsc 1 from open

    Standout characteristics: This bike seems capable of anything at all
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: Low bottom bracket height takes some getting used to in gravity mode, trying to fix with correct technique first.
    Last edited by burkawitz206; 07-12-2018 at 08:32 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,400
    Okay, I'll play along since Burkawitz posted. Gotta keep some Shred Dogg love in here.
    Rider weight: 165 geared up
    Skill level: Intermediate-advanced
    Where do you ride: PNW, Western Washington State, BC, Oregon
    Trail type the bike is used for: Everything but gap jumps


    Model and size: Medium Shred Dogg
    Plush or crush, Gravity or trail: Trail for smoother stuff in the lowlands and gravity when I get up in the mountains on rougher terrain. I don't mind switching it up.
    Shock: DVO Topaz
    Shock settings: 25% sag, I'm not sure on the rebound since I adjusted it by feel and switch the compression between open and trail depending where and how I'm riding. I might use the closed position for logging road climbs
    Fork model and travel: MRP Ribbon Coil 160mm
    Fork spring or air pressure: Light spring
    Fork settings: Rebound 8 clicks from closed per MRP and compression varies depending on trail conditions
    Standout characteristics: Completely composed on everything I ride, which includes some pretty steep downhills
    Anything about your setup you don't like?: I'd like to try wider tires
    Last edited by Curveball; 04-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4
    How tall are you guys with medium Shred Doggs?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermode1 View Post
    How tall are you guys with medium Shred Doggs?
    I'm 5'11" and the med. fits great.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermode1 View Post
    How tall are you guys with medium Shred Doggs?
    I'm 5'7" (long torso, short legs) and the medium Trail Pistol fits much better than the small for me.
    I like rocks

  19. #19
    All Fun Rider
    Reputation: pixel_nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    199
    I'm 6' and ride the Medium Shred Dogg, but I've read about people 6'1" and 6'2" riding Larges like above^. I feel like I'm possibly right towards the edge of the sizing limitations, but not in a negative way at all. Perfect fit, and I actually only ran 5mm rise 760mm bars with a single 20mm spacer under my Thomson X4 5mm stem-- just recently got Chromag Fubar OSX 780mm 25mm rise bars that felt AMAZING from doing loops in my back yard. I haven't ridden it properly with that setup, as my front triangle is at the shredquarters getting a 2018 dropper port drilled later this week .
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg w/ 160mm ACS-3'd Lyrik

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    78
    I was getting my ass thoroughly kicked overall not having a super fun time on rocky and root filled nonsense descents. I did some Shockwiz tuning over a few days and wow what a difference it has made in the overall feel of the bike, it rides so much more composed and is much more predictable now. I am even finding myself not death-gripping the bars as much. The problem is that I would have never guessed at the recommendations that the Shockwiz made, meaning that I still have no idea how to tune my bike by feel. It looks like I can never change frames or suspension parts or gain or lose more than 5lbs. body weight from here on out. Oh well. I am sure everyone in this forum knows this but me, but having your suspension setup right vs. wrong (or not knowing) can make a huge difference. I wouldn't have believed it before now.

    Today I have an appointment with a local suspension tuning guy, I am interested to see what changes he will recommend on top of the Shockwiz settings.

    I'm still struggling somewhat with the low-ish bottom bracket, I am getting better at having my pedals level when it counts but I still hit them or the bash guard more than I would like on stuff that my friends just roll over without issue.
    Last edited by burkawitz206; 05-18-2018 at 06:35 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    78
    Had an appointment with a local suspension tuning guy last weekend and though he seemingly didn't do anything I would consider drastic there is a significant improvement over what I was able to do myself with the Shockwiz. Perhaps most interesting part was that he did it all by watching me ride, some slow-motion video, and a few on-bike tests, the result of which he dropped 5psi from my fork and changed damping settings on both the fork and the shock. I would definitely say it was money well spent, and I can only hope one day to be able to set up my bike that well by myself.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    457
    Cane Creek has a pretty good suspension tuning step-by-step which details how most common adjustments affect your ride. It is a good first step in terms of what to optimize and in what order. All that said, the best way to learn how to tune your suspension is to take an organized approach. First write down your current settings so you don't lose them. Then find a section of trail that has a bit of everything on it. Ride it, ride it again. Now change something by a few clicks (enough to be noticable). Only change one thing at a time (PSI in shock, rebound, compression, etc), ride the section again, repeat. Take note of what is different. Go back to your original setting, ride it again feel what changed. Eventually you'll start to get a feel for how the different adjustments affect your bike and your riding.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schofell84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    138
    Disclaimer! first ride impressions and setup questions
    Rider weight/height: 245 with gear, 6'1"
    Skill level: Intermediate. I just wanna go fast
    Where do you ride? Northeast US (NNY). Local XC/AM-ish (technical tight, rocky, rooty climbs and descents) trails and some park- Whiteface, Killington, Camp Fortune), etc whenever I can get some time off.
    Bike is used for: Riding (Everything besides fat bike snow rides, the road, or dedicated DH/lift bike days)

    L Megatrail
    Crush mode so far
    Shock: RS Deluxe RT, approx. 30% sag, unlocked (dont recall the pressure)
    Fork: 170 Ribbon air, 100 psi neg., 105 psi pos. 8 clicks rebound
    Tire pressure set to 28. I'm going keep lowering it until I hear the expensive sound. 26 psi next ride for sure.

    Impressions: Climbs really well! I havent got to ride more than 5 times this year because I've been working enough to pay for a bike (angry old man fist shake) and I cleaned almost every climb on two of my favorite trails. Great traction on technical stuff, and I imagine it will get a lot better with some suspension tuning. I do feel like I could have went bigger with the frame- With the dropback post, my seat all the way back and nose tipped down I am comfortable climbing but noticed the front end lift on occasion. Seams like a bigger frame with a 35mm stem might have been perfect. I am going to play with stem spacers/stack height. The seat also doesn't drop far enough to keep me out of trouble when getting loose. I might have to get creative with that solution. No need for a lock out on the shock. When my tubby ass is standing and mashing pedals on a technical climb and doesn't notice pedal bob you've done something right. Small sharp trail obstacles do seem to slow the bike down while pedaling. Low speed compression seems fine but sharp small hits provide feedback my old VPP bike did not. Might have to upgrade the shock seeing the Deluxe doesnt have much options for tuning. First modification might be RWC shock eyelet bearings, I'm a believer.

    The SDG grips are pretty lackluster and are just too thin for my preference. ESI Chunky's will be on shortly. Maybe I'll try the new ODI offerings ... we'll see.

    The seat looks cool as hell but I might have to try an Ergon fitting soon. Treat yourself!

    Tires: Maxxis has always set the bar for me but the m1900 and 2.4WT combo DHR rear has a loose spot when transitioning to full lean. I've never noticed it before and have ran that tire on the back of two other bikes. Maybe dropping the pressure will help.

    Fork: Good but not great. Provided lots of feedback to your hands, which is why I wanted the coil! haha ... I'm going to try dropping the pressure and leaning on the ramp control a little more. It also still has plenty of time to break in. I didn't use all travel but didn't send it on the big drops on the first ride either.

    There are some neat options for storage on the NUTS bracket. An underseat bag fits down there upside down perfectly. I'm pumped to get a nice sidemount bottle in there soon too.

    Descending: I haven't hit anything wild at speed yet but I've got a bit of tuning to do. I tend to ride under-damped so everything is real plush and I can pump and pop off features, unless its a true DH track that I'm trying to survive ... like Whiteface aha. I do believe the "monster truck" description is pretty accurate. When pointed downhill it just accelerates, like my DH bike.

    Tips and tricks will be appreciated! Carry on Gentleman and Women!
    Word to your mother.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    78
    Doing some more suspension setting research and adjustments after getting thoroughly beat up on a local fairly technical trail (Tiger Mt. - Predator if interested). I had originally set up my fork on the firmer side of manufacturer sag recommendations which was 15% at 90psi and subsequent tuning with a ShockWiz and local tuner guy didn't really recommend pressure changes. After doing some research online I am coming to find out that 15-20% sag on a fork may not be the best for somewhat aggressive all mountain riding and have even seen people recommending 25-30% range. I rode something not so rowdy today after dropping from 90psi to 75psi and it was definitely more forgiving on sharp hits and felt like the front wheel was sticking to the ground better. Oh I also got a Vorsprung Luftkappe installed recently as well.

    I know sag % isn't everything but can some of you kind people shed some light on whether these manufacturer sag % settings are even worth considering? Was I possibly just way off in my original pressure setting of my fork based on my weight?

    Rider weight: 170 geared up

    Original settings:
    Fork: Fox 36 factory 160mm HSC/LSC
    Fork setttings: 90psi (~15% sag), no tokens, rebound 12 from open, lsc 2 from open, hsc 1 from open

    Experimental settings:
    Fork setttings: 75psi (~22% sag), no tokens, rebound 10 from open, lsc 2 from open, hsc 2 from open
    Last edited by burkawitz206; 07-12-2018 at 09:01 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Little_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    Doing some more suspension setting research and adjustments after getting thoroughly beat up on a local fairly technical trail (Tiger Mt. - Predator if interested). I had originally set up my fork on the firmer side of manufacturer sag recommendations which was 15% at 90psi and subsequent tuning with a ShockWiz and local tuner guy didn't really recommend pressure changes. After doing some research online I am coming to find out that 15-20% sag on a fork may not be the best for somewhat aggressive all mountain riding and have even seen people recommending 25-30% range. I rode something not so rowdy today after dropping from 90psi to 75psi and it was definitely more forgiving on sharp hits and felt like the front wheel was sticking to the ground better. Oh I also got a Vorsprung Luftkappe installed recently as well.

    I know sag % isn't everything but can some of you kind people shed some light on whether these manufacturer sag % settings are even worth considering? Was I possibly just way off in my original pressure setting of my fork based on my weight?

    Rider weight: 170 geared up

    Original settings:
    Fork: Fox 36 factory 160mm HSC/LSC
    Fork setttings: 90psi (~15% sag), no tokens, rebound 12 from open, lsc 2 from open, hsc 1 from open

    Experimental settings:
    Fork setttings: 75psi (~22% sag), no tokens, rebound 10 from open, lsc 2 from open, hsc 2 from open
    I just eyeball the o ring to make sure it's not sagging more than 1/3 of the stroke and go from there. I've changed a lot from the set up posted at the beginning of the thread and will post that up, but I have stoped tuning based on numbers and manufacturers recommendations, and rather tune based on trail feel alone. I have also come to the conclusion that I will never get 100% out of my bike because I vary too much as a rider.

    Also, for those of you with forks that can take advantage of ramp control, DO IT! After helping Casieno with his ribbon air I ordered ramp control cartridges for both RockShox forks I own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    always licking the glass
    Reputation: stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by schofell84 View Post
    Disclaimer! first ride impressions and setup questions
    Rider weight/height: 245 with gear, 6'1"
    Skill level: Intermediate. I just wanna go fast
    Where do you ride? Northeast US (NNY). Local XC/AM-ish (technical tight, rocky, rooty climbs and descents) trails and some park- Whiteface, Killington, Camp Fortune), etc whenever I can get some time off.
    Bike is used for: Riding (Everything besides fat bike snow rides, the road, or dedicated DH/lift bike days)

    L Megatrail
    Crush mode so far
    Shock: RS Deluxe RT, approx. 30% sag, unlocked (dont recall the pressure)
    Fork: 170 Ribbon air, 100 psi neg., 105 psi pos. 8 clicks rebound
    Tire pressure set to 28. I'm going keep lowering it until I hear the expensive sound. 26 psi next ride for sure.

    Impressions: Climbs really well! I havent got to ride more than 5 times this year because I've been working enough to pay for a bike (angry old man fist shake) and I cleaned almost every climb on two of my favorite trails. Great traction on technical stuff, and I imagine it will get a lot better with some suspension tuning. I do feel like I could have went bigger with the frame- With the dropback post, my seat all the way back and nose tipped down I am comfortable climbing but noticed the front end lift on occasion. Seams like a bigger frame with a 35mm stem might have been perfect. I am going to play with stem spacers/stack height. The seat also doesn't drop far enough to keep me out of trouble when getting loose. I might have to get creative with that solution. No need for a lock out on the shock. When my tubby ass is standing and mashing pedals on a technical climb and doesn't notice pedal bob you've done something right. Small sharp trail obstacles do seem to slow the bike down while pedaling. Low speed compression seems fine but sharp small hits provide feedback my old VPP bike did not. Might have to upgrade the shock seeing the Deluxe doesnt have much options for tuning. First modification might be RWC shock eyelet bearings, I'm a believer.

    The SDG grips are pretty lackluster and are just too thin for my preference. ESI Chunky's will be on shortly. Maybe I'll try the new ODI offerings ... we'll see.

    The seat looks cool as hell but I might have to try an Ergon fitting soon. Treat yourself!

    Tires: Maxxis has always set the bar for me but the m1900 and 2.4WT combo DHR rear has a loose spot when transitioning to full lean. I've never noticed it before and have ran that tire on the back of two other bikes. Maybe dropping the pressure will help.

    Fork: Good but not great. Provided lots of feedback to your hands, which is why I wanted the coil! haha ... I'm going to try dropping the pressure and leaning on the ramp control a little more. It also still has plenty of time to break in. I didn't use all travel but didn't send it on the big drops on the first ride either.

    There are some neat options for storage on the NUTS bracket. An underseat bag fits down there upside down perfectly. I'm pumped to get a nice sidemount bottle in there soon too.

    Descending: I haven't hit anything wild at speed yet but I've got a bit of tuning to do. I tend to ride under-damped so everything is real plush and I can pump and pop off features, unless its a true DH track that I'm trying to survive ... like Whiteface aha. I do believe the "monster truck" description is pretty accurate. When pointed downhill it just accelerates, like my DH bike.

    Tips and tricks will be appreciated! Carry on Gentleman and Women!
    So Iím now riding a fox 36 instead of the lyrik. The lyrik was too overdampened for my taste and I find the Fox 36 more to my liking. My fox 36 is at 170mm so YMMV.

    I run 85 psi, which is 20-25% sag, and I think the rebound is about 1/2 way. My riding weight fully geared is around 190-200 lbs.

    On the lyrik I ran it with no LSC and no HSC and 15% sag to make it feel right.

    For compression, I run 2 clicks of LSC and 1 click of HSC. I use that for smooth and rocky sections and it feels pretty solid.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by schofell84 View Post
    Disclaimer! first ride impressions and setup questions
    Rider weight/height: 245 with gear, 6'1"
    Skill level: Intermediate. I just wanna go fast
    Where do you ride? Northeast US (NNY). Local XC/AM-ish (technical tight, rocky, rooty climbs and descents) trails and some park- Whiteface, Killington, Camp Fortune), etc whenever I can get some time off.
    Bike is used for: Riding (Everything besides fat bike snow rides, the road, or dedicated DH/lift bike days)

    L Megatrail
    Crush mode so far
    Shock: RS Deluxe RT, approx. 30% sag, unlocked (dont recall the pressure)
    Fork: 170 Ribbon air, 100 psi neg., 105 psi pos. 8 clicks rebound
    Tire pressure set to 28. I'm going keep lowering it until I hear the expensive sound. 26 psi next ride for sure.

    Impressions: Climbs really well! I havent got to ride more than 5 times this year because I've been working enough to pay for a bike (angry old man fist shake) and I cleaned almost every climb on two of my favorite trails. Great traction on technical stuff, and I imagine it will get a lot better with some suspension tuning. I do feel like I could have went bigger with the frame- With the dropback post, my seat all the way back and nose tipped down I am comfortable climbing but noticed the front end lift on occasion. Seams like a bigger frame with a 35mm stem might have been perfect. I am going to play with stem spacers/stack height. The seat also doesn't drop far enough to keep me out of trouble when getting loose. I might have to get creative with that solution. No need for a lock out on the shock. When my tubby ass is standing and mashing pedals on a technical climb and doesn't notice pedal bob you've done something right. Small sharp trail obstacles do seem to slow the bike down while pedaling. Low speed compression seems fine but sharp small hits provide feedback my old VPP bike did not. Might have to upgrade the shock seeing the Deluxe doesnt have much options for tuning. First modification might be RWC shock eyelet bearings, I'm a believer.

    The SDG grips are pretty lackluster and are just too thin for my preference. ESI Chunky's will be on shortly. Maybe I'll try the new ODI offerings ... we'll see.

    The seat looks cool as hell but I might have to try an Ergon fitting soon. Treat yourself!

    Tires: Maxxis has always set the bar for me but the m1900 and 2.4WT combo DHR rear has a loose spot when transitioning to full lean. I've never noticed it before and have ran that tire on the back of two other bikes. Maybe dropping the pressure will help.

    Fork: Good but not great. Provided lots of feedback to your hands, which is why I wanted the coil! haha ... I'm going to try dropping the pressure and leaning on the ramp control a little more. It also still has plenty of time to break in. I didn't use all travel but didn't send it on the big drops on the first ride either.

    There are some neat options for storage on the NUTS bracket. An underseat bag fits down there upside down perfectly. I'm pumped to get a nice sidemount bottle in there soon too.

    Descending: I haven't hit anything wild at speed yet but I've got a bit of tuning to do. I tend to ride under-damped so everything is real plush and I can pump and pop off features, unless its a true DH track that I'm trying to survive ... like Whiteface aha. I do believe the "monster truck" description is pretty accurate. When pointed downhill it just accelerates, like my DH bike.

    Tips and tricks will be appreciated! Carry on Gentleman and Women!
    FWIW, MRP recommends more pressure in the negative than the positive chamber for the Ribbon air. Or you could convert it to coil and be a really happy clam.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Similar Threads

  1. Racer-X Set-Up database
    By Warp in forum Titus
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: 06-11-2015, 04:21 AM
  2. Switchblade Set-Up database
    By Warp in forum Titus
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 08:32 PM
  3. Titus Set-Up Database and Pics
    By Warp in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 05:56 AM
  4. Motolite Set-Up Database
    By Warp in forum Titus
    Replies: 300
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 125

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.