mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Zaskar rear spindle

I've been riding my '98 Zaskar for a few years. Currently setup with 9 speed drive train. Always find it difficult to remove/replace rear wheel. It's as if the rear axle is too long. Were the 7 or 8 speed wheels possibly shorter than the 9 speeds? I bought as a frame off eBay and setup with newer vintage components. Works great, but I sometimes wonder if I'm pushing the Derailer hanger out.

mtbr member
    7,8 and 9 speed rear spacing are all 135mm. What do you mean by "pushing the derailleur hanger out". Is the hanger straight when you eyeball it from behind the bike? Take the wheel out of the frame and measure between the dropouts to see if it measures 135mm. Maybe your dropout(s) are tweeked aa bit.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I appreciate your response. I will measure the spacing. When I install or remove a wheel, I find that I'm spreading open the dropouts to accommodate. Perhaps there has been some prior trauma to the frame. I mention the hanger because when I tighten the skewer, I get a lot of movement on the hanger. I own many other bikes and know that this isn't right. Leads me to wonder if the hanger is sitting in an un-natural position.