Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36

    Zaskar Re-Issue made in Taiwan????

    hi folks,

    a few of us over here in Germany received their 20th Anniversary Zaskar frames with a funny sticker on the box, it says "Made in Taiwan".
    I have contacted GT Germany, but they play, as usual, hide and seek, no reply... zero reaction
    .
    Here some pics:








    Must say, I don't like this at all. Anyone else having such stickers on the box? Just recalling that the frame has been aggressively marketed as the real thing, made in the US same as the original Zaskar back then....

    Any info is welcome
    Nick
    Last edited by oldman; 03-17-2008 at 03:03 PM.

  2. #2
    GT-Maniac
    Reputation: Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    107
    Look at these pictures of a new Zaskar re-issue (from the German GT-Forum, too). The headtube isnīt well milled, the decals arenīt well fit and there are some scratches of a quick release skewer. I hope the other frames are in a better condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    RaD
    RaD is offline
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Reputation: RaD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    690
    I have seen pictures of the new reissue Zaskar which come with a certificate with build number and date,welding rod type and a signature of whom at SAPA in Portland,Oregon welded the frame.
    Your frame didn't came with something like that?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36
    no, some frames have been delivered w/o certificates. GT Germany seems to ship the certificates separately....
    somehow it looks as if these don't come from SAPA.....

  5. #5
    RaD
    RaD is offline
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Reputation: RaD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    no, some frames have been delivered w/o certificates. GT Germany seems to ship the certificates separately....
    somehow it looks as if these don't come from SAPA.....
    My Turner is made at SAPA and the build quality is by far superior to what can be seen in that pictures...

    Need to find that pictures I talked about,if I only remember where?

    BTW,is there a hind of the used material like Aluminium 6061 or 7005,7020 or something like that?

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    The marks on that frame make me think it was used for displays, rather than being assembled, such as being a preproduction show, or an early run example to go to shows or display at stores.

    NBD on the stickers, but it they apply them, I'd want them to at least be straight. On the Taiwan thing, who knows. Perhaps the De folks and the USA customers need to compare serial numbers to see what can reveal some differences.

    Doesn't Germany have strict importation and consumer rights laws? If GT De isn't getting back to you, customs or the consumer groups will certainly force them to. Mislabeling origin for customs is a serious crime in any country, as it can allow for variances in import duty.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by RaD
    Need to find that pictures I talked about,if I only remember where?
    The thread's a little further down the page (Here)

    Note the box in this thread even has Made in the USA printed on it.

    500 "real" reproductions, and 5000 fakes - just like the original Zaskar!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36
    just fyi: over here in Germany the frame retails at € 1,300.- , that is $ 2,000 . You can get a branded titanium hardtail frame for $ 2000..... and it's made in the US

  9. #9
    RaD
    RaD is offline
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Reputation: RaD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    The thread's a little further down the page (Here)

    Note the box in this thread even has Made in the USA printed on it.

    500 "real" reproductions, and 5000 fakes - just like the original Zaskar!
    Thats it,thanks!
    I somehow thought I have seen this at an other website

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    24
    I would go right to the top and send the President of Cannondale Sports Group a email asking whats up. Send it to jfrehner(at)cannondalegroup.com . Remember that GT and Cannondale merged the other day. Let us know what he says.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,937
    I wish they had stuck with die-cut decals also. Just not like the originals.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76

    the real thing

    on preivious posts made earlier you can see the technician at SAPA making the jig for the frame....The frames are finished, decaled, and packaged in Taiwan and by law whatever leaves that country for export into other countries must have the label of origin on it.....there is a label on the frame that states made in the USA......and I will say that my original Santa Ana Zaskar was not 100%perfect either.....

  13. #13
    GT-Maniac
    Reputation: Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    on preivious posts made earlier you can see the technician at SAPA making the jig for the frame...
    Although you can expect a better quality when you buy a frame that costs 1300 Euros. This is really poor engeneering!!!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76
    if the ream on the headtube is off that is not poor engineering, that is poor machining by SAPA....I am sure anyone who is not satisfied can certainly get a frame that is to thier satisfaction....

  15. #15
    GT-Maniac
    Reputation: Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    ..I am sure anyone who is not satisfied can certainly get a frame that is to thier satisfaction....
    Yes, a cheaper frame "made in Tawain" seems to be better produced as a frame from the USA today. In the past "made in USA" was a garantee for quality, but today???

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76
    Lobo, unfortunately you are correct, "USA made" is no guarantee of quality, as many Ellsworth (made by SAPA) owners can attest, .....I can say that I have inquired about the trustworthiness of any Re-Issue that has a headtube that has been machined off axis and according to GT Customer Service they pass all tests required to ship to US or EU customers so there is no safety issue with these frames...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    if the ream on the headtube is off that is not poor engineering, that is poor machining by SAPA....I am sure anyone who is not satisfied can certainly get a frame that is to thier satisfaction....
    I doubt the possibility to get another frame, as this is a limited production...

    kr

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by B@rtman
    I doubt the possibility to get another frame, as this is a limited production...

    kr
    I prefer to get my cash back and will rather by some decent product. period

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76
    its a consumers perogative to get satisfaction for thier money....I would also say that its also not a deal breaker....I am sure if someone looked at every frame made by any mfg that they could likely find some defect to warrant a return....

    obviously this guy is pretty happy with his
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    hi folks,

    a few of us over here in Germany received their 20th Anniversary Zaskar frames with a funny sticker on the box, it says "Made in Taiwan".
    I have contacted GT Germany, but they play, as usual, hide and seek, no reply... zero reaction
    .
    Here some pics:








    Must say, I don't like this at all. Anyone else having such stickers on the box? Just recalling that the frame has been aggressively marketed as the real thing, made in the US same as the original Zaskar back then....

    Any info is welcome
    Nick
    I thought the frame comes with three sets of decals.....to me that means none are on it out of the box and you choose and put on the color you want...isn't that correct. (Still wish they were die cuts, I'm having some reproduced for mine) The bike pictured in your post Lobo looks to have been on display or built up and I for one can attest that display and sample bikes and frames are not always perfect. Looks to me as though the machining is OK inside the head tube but it appears that the edge has been knocked against something a few times. Obviously it's had a wheel clamped into it too.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    its a consumers perogative to get satisfaction for thier money....I would also say that its also not a deal breaker....I am sure if someone looked at every frame made by any mfg that they could likely find some defect to warrant a return....

    obviously this guy is pretty happy with his

    The question coming to my mind is, for how long? I mean, if the head tube was not proper milled, it might break - no one knows. The probability for a well milled head tube is far lower. And for this price you can expect a nearly perfect bike, even when hand made.

    This is not the quality GT got famous for.

    my 2 cents

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    I thought the frame comes with three sets of decals.....to me that means none are on it out of the box and you choose and put on the color you want...isn't that correct.
    Looks like it comes with decals on it in addition to the 3 sets in the box.




    I just noticed on the boxes that the large weighs less than the medium, but a net weight of 7Kgs = 15.4 lbs!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    954
    That's the weight for the wole box and frame dude...that could just be difference in the packaging.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    hi folks,

    a few of us over here in Germany received their 20th Anniversary Zaskar frames with a funny sticker on the box, it says "Made in Taiwan".
    I have contacted GT Germany, but they play, as usual, hide and seek, no reply... zero reaction
    .
    Must say, I don't like this at all. Anyone else having such stickers on the box? Just recalling that the frame has been aggressively marketed as the real thing, made in the US same as the original Zaskar back then....

    Any info is welcome
    Nick
    Have a good friend that says they are ALL in fact made in the USA but said quote "No one in the USA could supply the finish that we received from Asia."
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    76

    Can you Say STS

    Quote Originally Posted by B@rtman
    The question coming to my mind is, for how long? I mean, if the head tube was not proper milled, it might break - no one knows. The probability for a well milled head tube is far lower. And for this price you can expect a nearly perfect bike, even when hand made.

    This is not the quality GT got famous for.

    my 2 cents

    Your memory of the GT history is either short, or missing some key episodes ....I think anyone who bought a first generation STS in either Germany or Switzerland in the late 90's would tend to disagree with your statement GT was famous for quality. Also anyone who owned an LTS that seemed to produce that mind bending squeak would also disagree......Like all human endeavors, especially mfg, there will be issues. This is not a defense of improper construction or of unsafe product, which I do not think is in evidence here, but more so an admonition against the current state of mind that seems to prevail nowadays that everything just seemingly comes out perfect with little or no effort on the part of all those involved...I think that is a dangerous naivete that makes for a disconnect between humans and the products of their efforts and is a symptom of a chronic soul eating brand of cyncism

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •