mtbr member

Zaskar LE - What year?

OK I have a ball burnished silver Zaskar LE with the old school U-brake. When the heck was this thing produced? I've had it since about 92-93'...

I'm looking for original decals or even pics of the originals as the previous owner updated the decs at some point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by |T-BoNe|
    OK I have a ball burnished silver Zaskar LE with the old school U-brake. When the heck was this thing produced? I've had it since about 92-93'...

I'm looking for original decals or even pics of the originals as the previous owner updated the decs at some point.
    First four digits of the serial number are the month and year the frame was produced. Keep in mind if it was produced late in the yr it was probably actually the next yrs model. My guess is you have a 92 or 93. The serial number will tell you for sure. Good luck finding the appropriate yr decals. They are getting increasing tough to find. If you can find anything 97 or older on Zaskar decals you're doing well. May have to consider having them reproduced.

When you determine the year, you can go to this catalog link http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/gt.html
    click the year of your bike and page through to the Zaskar and take a look at the original decals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    In 93 the Zaskar had canti brakes and a replaceable der. hanger so it's easy to tell 92 and earlier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    In 93 the Zaskar had canti brakes and a replaceable der. hanger so it's easy to tell 92 and earlier.

It's for sure a a 92'.

Thanks for the help guys. It's full custom and has been for years, I'll polish it up and post some pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I too have a similar question re a GT Zaskar LE. I think it came from the US originally and have looked on the http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/gt.html website at the back catalogues but no joy, the pics attached should give you an idea of what the original decls looked like, any ideas please on year, and how I get some new decals??
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    FIRST FOUR DIGITS OF THE SERIAL NUMBER ARE THE MONTH AND YEAR IT WAS PRODUCED.

If it is a Zaskar the serial number and frame size are stamped into the left rear dropout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks. I now know it is a Mar 1994 Zaskar LE. But The picture of the same bike in the back catalogue catalog [ link http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/gt.html ] has totally different decals. any thoughts??

mtbr member
    Decals for some years can be purchased at a number of places so somebody probably just put different decals on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks but I bought the bike from the original owner (a friend who I have since lost touch with) so I know that did not happen. Any other thoughts??

mtbr member
    Possible the complete bikes and framesets had different decals that year?