mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Zaskar Expert opinion

Howdy!
    I've searched high and low, and I can't seem to find much info regarding the 2008 Zaskar Expert (the aluminum one, and not the re-issue) in terms of anything like a review. All the buzz seems to revolve around the new carbon models, which is understandable, as they are quite sexy, but carbon on the mtb makes me nervous. Not entirely rational, but that's how it is. Anyone around these parts have a good honest opinion on how it rides? Stiff or compliant? Stable or nimble? Stretched out or upright? Stuff like that. Does it differ much from models offered the previous few years (yeah, I know the company has changed hands a couple of times, and things aren't necessarily like the old days)?

XCRACER
    Nov 2004

2005 Zaskar

I have a 2005 aluminum Zaskar Expert. It is my single speed now but the frame is very solid and stiff. The newer frames have the hydroformed tubes witch are cool looking. Its a great xc racing frame. Get one!!!!
    Last edited by XCPRORACER; 03-20-2008 at 05:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a 2005 Zaskar Expert as well. I admit that the only thing that is stock is the frame and Skareb fork, but I can say that I have been very impressed with the geometry and stiffness of the frame. I have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would also like to hear some input about this!

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the black Zaskar Experts for sale at Performance? I got a 2006 at the end of that year. It was my first mt bike ever and I knew that GT was once a great brand and the component spec was solid, but I didn't know what a great bike I was getting for what amounted to about $650.The components; complete LX except for brakes (Avid Single Digit 5's,the only weak link, I replaced them with Single Digit 7's after a year) are rock solid and too good to think of upgrading unless something breaks and nothing has yet. The wheels are still as round and true as when new and are right on the border of light or heavy at 2000g for the set. I found a great deal on Crossmax enduro's but I still used the original wheels with a set of mud tires all winter. Front fork; Rockshox Recon works great and at 4lbs is again right on the border of weight. And then the frame; it is definitely stiff and stretched out. And light weight. A large frame weigh in at 3.8 lbs. My 2000 Zaskar LE (on of the really desirable Zaskar's) weighs 4.2 lbs. And , yes the geometry has changed form 2000 to 2006. The top tube is a centimeter longer and the wheelbase is 2 cm longer. This hurts on singletrack and on the climbs but doesn't make any difference on high speed stuff or descents. So all in all, I think the 2000 LE is a better frame, but I think the 2006 Expert is a close second and I think it's probably the best buy around in a performance hardtail.

I'm a triathlete and I never wanted a mountain bike. My wife wanted a mountain bike for winter riding and I was looking around the web to see what I could find. Performance advertised the Zaskar Expert as an entry level XC race bike. The first thing I thought was that we could race Xterra! So I ordered two and I rode the heck out of it all winter and raced it early in the season then found the last new 2001/2004 GT I-drive Team and built that one up for my race bike. Then I found and couldn't resist the 2000 Zaskar LE frame that I put all my components onto for a training bike. And now you can see a few posts below the black Zaskar Expert has become a 700c commuter bike and it still rocks. I'll be using it for CycloCross races this fall.

Go get one, you can't go wrong.