mtbr member
    May 2008

Zaskar Expert 08 frame

Hi, I am in the market for a new bike and have been looking for a good quality XC set-up. I am upgrading from a Marin Palisades Trail which I have had for more years than I can remember. I have been to my local GT supplier and tried a couple of Avalanche's and also the Zaskar Expert (the one without the carbon frame). The Zaskar frame seemed awesome and with LX throughout it rang all the right bells in my head. I then started reading reviews and many people say that the new frame isn't as good as the originals that where built in America. Is this true - the frame I tried felt very sharp and extremely fast. I also loved the contoured design on the top and down tube. I just want to be sure that before I place an order for the Zaskar that I wasn't wasting my cash - I have been saving up for the past couple of years and my main priority is getting one of the best frames that I can afford.

Cheers in advance for your help/opinions

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The only thing that will really be different is that the new Zaskar frames are mostly made overseas and the quality of the welds may not be as pretty as the ones from the U.S. but that doesn't mean you are getting a bad bike. The bike frame will probably be a bit heavier than the Zaskars from back in the days. You are getting a great quality bike with pretty decent components. The quality of overseas made frames is alot better now than what is used to be when those Zaskar Teams were made here. Those older Zaskar frames are now more nostalgic and collectibles. If you were to compare an older U.S GT frame to an older overseas frame then the difference is huge. If you compare the older Zaskar frame to new overseas frame the U.S. Zaskar is still a better frame but the gap is getting smaller. If you like the ride, then go get it.

mtbr member
    The new aluminum Zaskar Frames are actually lighter than the older, pre 2001 frames. My 2006 Zaskar Expert frame is .6 lbs lighter than my 2000 Zaskar LE. The 2006 was my first mountain bike and it was the deal of a lifetime with a solid component spec. Everything is too good to even upgrade until something breaks. So this winter I got my classic 2000LE frame and was surprised that it was much heavier. But I like the LE Geometry better. The LE has a 1 cm shorter top tube and a 2 cm shorter wheelbase which works better on the trails I ride. Would I notice it if I hadn't ridden them back to back? Heck no! Both are great rides. Don't fret that you are getting anything lesser than the classic Zaskars. For a few years GT was down in the dumps after the bankruptcy but now they are coming on strong.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you both for your opinions - I loved the feel of the Zaskar Expert when I went for test ride last week, so I've put a deposit down for the bike today ....... only problem now is that there won't be any more in the UK until July - just my luck - I finally decide to get the bike and every shop is now out of stock

mtbr member
    Don't worry, it will be worth the wait. Just remember to post a pic and a ride report once you get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Definitely post a pic and feedback on the bike. I am still looking at the aluminum model and just need to save up a bit.