mtbr member

Zaskar 9r comp Question ???

Just pulled the trigger on a GT Zaskar 9r Comp for my son. Had planned on buy a ride from Airborne but ran across a real good deal that I just couldn't pass up. I pulled up a couple reviews on the bike and the only complaint was the head tube angle was too steep and made the bike feel twitchy. Just wanted some feedback from real owners. Thanks
    Last edited by tailwaters; 10-23-2013 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    After further investigation it looks like the 26" version is the 69.5 and the 9r is at 72degrees which is pretty much a standard. So I'm still wondering why the review stated it was twitchy because of the steep head tube?? My Niner is 71 degrees.
    Last edited by tailwaters; 10-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They can be a bit twitchy but I don't think the aspen tires help on mine I swap on to Hans Dampf for trail centers and the difference is unreal.
    What you loose on the down you definitely gain on the up.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Thanks Dave. I went from a GT Carbon Expert to a Miner Air 9 and did notice a huge difference. Felt the Niner was very twitchy. After 2 years I'm now at home with it. So I'm assuming the GT will be the same. Just don't understand how they can say the GT is twitchy and give another manufacturer perfect review and the bikes have nearly the same geometry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its a little bit random I agree, I use bike radar a fair bit and on there my bike (elite) scored 3 out of 5 but the comp scored 4.5 out of 5 exactly the same bike with slightly different spec!
    The only thing i can assume is the extra weight of the comp makes the bike a little more stable? not sure on that one though

mtbr member
    Pending the weight of your bike there certainly could be some truth in that statement. My first ride on a 29r was a friends 19lb Superfly. Absolutely hated it. The bike was what I considered too light and bounced all over the trail. Then I rode a 28lb middle of the road 29r which offered a much more controled ride. I've always thought the lighter the better but since I've had a change of heart. I currently ride a 24lb Niner Air9 that I love. My sons Zaskar comes in at 26 with a couple small changes we've made. Only real difference I've noted is the bottom bracket sits lower on the GT which I really like. But I agree its the same geometry so all in all should offer a very comparable ride.

mtbr member
    Converted the zaskar to 1x10 last night. So she went on a little winter diet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Too many people can't handle XC geo these days. That's my take anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Xc has changed quite alot in the last few year, head down arse up is a thing
    Of the past nowadays on the trails! Its all about the technical:-D
    What front ring you running? I have a 34 t absolute black on
    Mine, perfect for local stuff but I soon run out of legs on the long climbs.

mtbr member
    Went with a 32 being that's what I'm running on my Air9 (1x9) Great setup for my area with all the climbing, yet just enough speed to get me in trouble. I will say when I hit the fire lanes I wish I had a taller gear. I love the silence and the simplicity of the 1X setup.