mtbr member

Zaskar 100 9r vs Sensor Pro ?!

I'm dying here guys! I REALLY want a new bike.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2001 iDrive Race - and my 2008 Zaskar Re-Issue... I really do!

However, I feel like I would have so much more fun on a newer bike and would really like to take advantage of some of the technological changes over the past few years!

That being said, I've really just about narrowed down my choices to either a Zaskar 100 9r (probably the XO version from Performance) OR a Sensor Pro.

I'd much prefer it if GT would just sell me a Zaskar Frame and I could build the bike to MY specs... After many many years of upgrades, I've finally found parts that fit me and I like... so I hate to spend the money on a built bike that I KNOW I'll be upgrading in the next year or so....

So...
    Is there REALLY a $2000 difference between these two bikes? I ride pretty aggressively in the Colorado Front Range, Fruita, Moab, etc... I'm much faster on the downhill sections, but don't mind having to climb to get to where I need to be... I've started to enter some XC races, but don't really see myself being able to fully commit. I'd love more travel, but keep reading the new Zaskars perform GREAT with 100mm travel.

Thoughts?

AM vs XC Race - is it REALLY work the cost difference?
    Live
    Love

SPIN

My gloves stink

Use the Force, Luke

Where have you read that the Zaskar 100 rides great? I can find very little info on it except for some stuff written about a year ago when they first announced the new line-up.

IMHO, I would think that if you consider yourself an aggressive rider, it wouldn't be much of a contest- you'd go with a Sensor if not a Force/Sanction. If you're looking for a compromise that you can race as well as play on, then the Sensor.

Most racers I know, myself included, have two bikes- one for racing, and the other for everything else.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Thanks Appendage...

I kind of knew the answer in the back of my head :-P

as for where I've heard about the Zaskars ride... I have a buddy who's the lead mechanic for Performance in San Francisco. HUGE GT nut - he actually runs the facebook GT Owners Club. He and I have talked on the side, he's had the opportunity to test ride the 100 9r. He currently rides a Force. He says it rides every bit as smooth as any 'Trail' Bike he's been on. I also talked to a couple of shop techs in Moab when I was there last fall - they said the same thing from the Press Camp rides they got to do.

I agree with the 2 bike methodology. Its just that I have spent the last few years building up and rebuilding my 2 - 26" bikes (2001 iDrive and 2008 Zaskar Re-issue) to where I finally feel they are 'done' - I LOVE everything on them... But the iDrive is dated and I just KNOW the newer technologies would blow my mind (and probably make me an even better rider (so I hear)).

I'm leaning towards getting a Sensor and maybe moving some of my parts off the iDrive to it... Keep the 2008 Zaskar for XC racing.

Such a hard decision! :-o
    Live
    Love

SPIN