Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Xizang 96/97

  1. #1
    Sashto
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21

    Xizang 96/97

    Have just picked up a beautiful 18 inch 96 or 97 Xizang Frame. Looking for the ideal retro fork to go with it - does anyone have any suggestions(or actually any other finishing kit I'd have expected with this bike). Also any idea how I might date the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,932
    What's the serial number? internal or external routed rear brake cable routing? Which dropouts???? Closeup pictures of dropouts and serial number might help. U-brake in the rear or v-brake/canti bosses?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  3. #3
    nobody
    Reputation: wookalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashto
    Have just picked up a beautiful 18 inch 96 or 97 Xizang Frame. Looking for the ideal retro fork to go with it - does anyone have any suggestions(or actually any other finishing kit I'd have expected with this bike). Also any idea how I might date the frame.
    If it were me I'd go with a Marzocchi z2 X-fly. They were a little newer than '97 but worked better for me than anything else I used to run in the mid 90's.

    Beautiful frame though. Great find. Look forward to seeing it built up!
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Linoleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by wookalar
    Beautiful frame though. Great find. Look forward to seeing it built up!
    +2

  5. #5
    Sashto
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Serial number is YC97L00071 so I guess it's a 97 model. Frame is actually a lightning not a Xizang, previous owner stripped the graphics and had it polished, then used Xizang stickers (because that's the bike he'd always wanted). It's a beautiful looking bike and I'm dead chuffed to get it. Want to build it close to spec so I need to find what the parts were for a 97 bike,

  6. #6
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,147
    well thew first hing to do would be strip the graphic off and replace with lightning ones, then build it up into a real nice bike

  7. #7
    mini clyde
    Reputation: eedavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    well thew first hing to do would be strip the graphic off and replace with lightning ones, then build it up into a real nice bike
    do you know of a source for Lightning stickers?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    well thew first hing to do would be strip the graphic off and replace with lightning ones, then build it up into a real nice bike
    +1

    But you'd have the go the whole hog and return it to a brushed finish.
    I'm not aware of Lightnings coming in a polished finish.

    But in short, it is what it is - a Lightning, not a Xizang as your post implies.
    Nice bike either way.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,932
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmike
    +1

    But you'd have the go the whole hog and return it to a brushed finish.
    I'm not aware of Lightnings coming in a polished finish.
    Original finish was not brushed but bead blasted and that would take a whole 3 to maybe five minutes in a decent media blasting booth, very simple actually.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •