Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Work in Progress - Karakoram

Bit rough around the edges. If I REALLY like the singlespeeding, perhaps a fresh powdercoat will be in order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dude. I just picked up the same frame and I'm turning it into a SS. Mine's pretty beat up and I'm gonna have it powdercoated the same color or painted the same color. That purple just screams wicked! Your ride is pretty sweet.

GTJ

mtbr member
    I wouldn't touch that paint job.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    I wouldn't touch that paint job.

The glossy purple is kinda sexy, but the chainstays and bottom bracket regions are pretty chipped up. [good from afar, but far from good] One thing I've noticed that the bike feels VERY light. I will put it on a scale soon.

Eventually I'll replace the cheapy conversion kit and brakes w/quality components.

jorgito - post up some pics of your build too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As soon it gets underway, I'll start posting pics. You don't like the color GM123? Or are you telling me to leave it alone? Mine's pretty messed up.

No good in rock gardens..
    Looks much the same colour as my '93 Backwoods.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Work in Progress - Karakoram

That looks really nice!!! I am converting my '91 Karakoram Inferno to a single speed. Am gonna keep the rims and put in DT Swiss COMPs!!!! Today I ordered a White Industries Eno Single Speed Rear hub.

Rob

mtbr member
    Bullhorns. As you can sorta make out in the 2nd picture, I cut off the 3 or so inches of 'upturn' on the GT Bullhorn bars. I think it looks more aesthetically pleasing without losing functionality. I still need to grind down the edges a bit, but I have a question:

Do you guys think bar tape would look good on these skinny bars? Would it look funny without grips altogether? Man I just want to get this thing on the trail already!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    Do you guys think bar tape would look good on these skinny bars? Would it look funny without grips altogether? Man I just want to get this thing on the trail already!
    I have my road bike set up as a flat bar with a pair of Scott AT-2 bars and LX shifters. I have them wrapped in bar tape and it looks fine. A standard roll of tape is way more than you need for each side, so I overlapped pretty tight at the normal grip area so it's nice and cushy there.

mtbr member
    Here's a peek at the drivetrain side. Do I keep removing links in the chain to find the 'magic gear'?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quick question to you Kara owners. I know that the bottom bracket for the frame is 73mm but what is the other number? My I-drive team is 68 by 113mm. Can anyone of you guys help me out on this one. I'd like to buy the right bottom bracket so I can get my SS Kara going, and post some pics of it ASAP. Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member

Less is more

Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    Here's a peek at the drivetrain side. Do I keep removing links in the chain to find the 'magic gear'?
    Yeah, the tensioners like to have very little travel. I put together my Karakoram SS tonight. The tensioner is a little more horizontal than yours. The main reason is to keep from having any chain skip.

Your bike looks excellent. That powdercoat color is awesome. When I had the bike up on the repair stand I could see some rust between the top stays where they join the top tube. I cleaned it up a bit. I'm gonna play it by ear for now. If I really like the bike, I'll go for a nice respray or powdercoat.

The measurements are for the bottom bracket shell (either 68 or 73mm) and the spindle length (107, 113, 118, 122, etc.) The trick is to find one that gives you the right chain alignment and isn't too wide. Touring bike folks talk about the "Q-factor," this is the width that the pedals are apart. Narrow Q-factors are preferable.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
    --Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Update: Work in Progress - Karakoram

Well, I did say "in progress". To get back into some level of respectable fitness, I put the GT back in its original form. [with the exception of new bars and clipless pedals] The singlespeed was a little to steep of a learning curve for my aged body.

So, attached are a couple shots from yesterday's wet ride in AZ. Oh, and I'm new to clipless pedals so this led to a couple embarassing falls.

Best,
    Rich

mtbr member
    68mm is shell and 113 should denote spindle length required for proper chainline. Please correct me if I am wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice and muddy! I like the looks of it. I'm getting all my SS stuff this week so expect a couple of pics of my Kara this month.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Beautiful old GT, I had a steel GT back in '95 and I sure do miss it now.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey - do you know what year that frame is? It has the cables routed through an indention in the top tube, right? I have one with the same frame, but someone along the way spray-bombed it metallic gray. I'm thinking I'll strip it & repaint it soon 'cause I love the bikes.

I also have an '88 Karakoram that has horizontal rear dropouts....seriously thought of doing the SS/FG thing with it, but it's ending up going back in service as an urban bomber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiataccompli
    Hey - do you know what year that frame is? It has the cables routed through an indention in the top tube, right?
    I am fairly certain its a '94 Karakoram. I had the best time riding it yesterday, it felt FAST on the very smooth Sport loop at the McDowell Mountain park. Now I just have to get in better shape and pick a drier day to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does your Kara have a 1" or 1 1/8" headset. I've been looking for front shocks for an old Mongoose frame I have, but need to find one that uses 1" threaded headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sballs
    Does your Kara have a 1" or 1 1/8" headset. I've been looking for front shocks for an old Mongoose frame I have, but need to find one that uses 1" threaded headset.
    1 1/8 threadless headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Quick question to you Kara owners. I know that the bottom bracket for the frame is 73mm but what is the other number? My I-drive team is 68 by 113mm. Can anyone of you guys help me out on this one. I'd like to buy the right bottom bracket so I can get my SS Kara going, and post some pics of it ASAP. Thanks in advance guys.
    The BB spindle length is dependent upon the model of crank you use...not the frame. What crank are you planning to use on the Karakoram???
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was thinking of going with an old shimano XT with a splined bottom bracket but now I'm going with a truvativ carbon with outboard bearings. It's a hand me down from one of my buddies. I guess it wouldn't make a difference now as long as I use the right spacers; right?

mtbr member
    Bah, I'm just dumping in pics into this thread......

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Bring back that bar!

Boy the grass is green in AZ!

I found that bullhorn actually functional on my SS settings as I can stand on the pedal easily with my weight forward. It offers a smooth hand position transition, unlike the flat bars with bar ends. Mine is Scott AT-2 LF, and itís supposedly very flexy bar. As thin as the wall is, I can see how flexy it can be but itís light for sure. Itís a a narrow bar, but still gives me a plenty of grip. Besides, I donít see these too often on the trails and I think it kind of looks sexy on our vintage GTs. I think you oughta put it back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Boy the grass is green in AZ!

I found that bullhorn actually functional on my SS settings as I can stand on the pedal easily with my weight forward. It offers a smooth hand position transition, unlike the flat bars with bar ends. Mine is Scott AT-2 LF, and itís supposedly very flexy bar. As thin as the wall is, I can see how flexy it can be but itís light for sure. Itís a a narrow bar, but still gives me a plenty of grip. Besides, I donít see these too often on the trails and I think it kind of looks sexy on our vintage GTs. I think you oughta put it back
    I know, it does add some authenticity with the bar. I just can't figure out how to wrap the bar w/tape [cork?] and make it look good. As you can see in my signature, I'd like to find the OEM grips that come on the ole bullhorn.

I put on a set of GT Bologni forks tonight, full rigid riding now! Plus they are the matching purple paint, so it looks pretty sweet.

Rich

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast