Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Work in Progress - Karakoram

Bit rough around the edges. If I REALLY like the singlespeeding, perhaps a fresh powdercoat will be in order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dude. I just picked up the same frame and I'm turning it into a SS. Mine's pretty beat up and I'm gonna have it powdercoated the same color or painted the same color. That purple just screams wicked! Your ride is pretty sweet.

GTJ

mtbr member
    I wouldn't touch that paint job.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    I wouldn't touch that paint job.

The glossy purple is kinda sexy, but the chainstays and bottom bracket regions are pretty chipped up. [good from afar, but far from good] One thing I've noticed that the bike feels VERY light. I will put it on a scale soon.

Eventually I'll replace the cheapy conversion kit and brakes w/quality components.

jorgito - post up some pics of your build too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As soon it gets underway, I'll start posting pics. You don't like the color GM123? Or are you telling me to leave it alone? Mine's pretty messed up.

No good in rock gardens..
    Looks much the same colour as my '93 Backwoods.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Work in Progress - Karakoram

That looks really nice!!! I am converting my '91 Karakoram Inferno to a single speed. Am gonna keep the rims and put in DT Swiss COMPs!!!! Today I ordered a White Industries Eno Single Speed Rear hub.

Rob

mtbr member
    Bullhorns. As you can sorta make out in the 2nd picture, I cut off the 3 or so inches of 'upturn' on the GT Bullhorn bars. I think it looks more aesthetically pleasing without losing functionality. I still need to grind down the edges a bit, but I have a question:

Do you guys think bar tape would look good on these skinny bars? Would it look funny without grips altogether? Man I just want to get this thing on the trail already!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    Do you guys think bar tape would look good on these skinny bars? Would it look funny without grips altogether? Man I just want to get this thing on the trail already!
    I have my road bike set up as a flat bar with a pair of Scott AT-2 bars and LX shifters. I have them wrapped in bar tape and it looks fine. A standard roll of tape is way more than you need for each side, so I overlapped pretty tight at the normal grip area so it's nice and cushy there.

mtbr member
    Here's a peek at the drivetrain side. Do I keep removing links in the chain to find the 'magic gear'?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quick question to you Kara owners. I know that the bottom bracket for the frame is 73mm but what is the other number? My I-drive team is 68 by 113mm. Can anyone of you guys help me out on this one. I'd like to buy the right bottom bracket so I can get my SS Kara going, and post some pics of it ASAP. Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member

Less is more

Here's a peek at the drivetrain side. Do I keep removing links in the chain to find the 'magic gear'?
    Yeah, the tensioners like to have very little travel. I put together my Karakoram SS tonight. The tensioner is a little more horizontal than yours. The main reason is to keep from having any chain skip.

Your bike looks excellent. That powdercoat color is awesome. When I had the bike up on the repair stand I could see some rust between the top stays where they join the top tube. I cleaned it up a bit. I'm gonna play it by ear for now. If I really like the bike, I'll go for a nice respray or powdercoat.

The measurements are for the bottom bracket shell (either 68 or 73mm) and the spindle length (107, 113, 118, 122, etc.) The trick is to find one that gives you the right chain alignment and isn't too wide. Touring bike folks talk about the "Q-factor," this is the width that the pedals are apart. Narrow Q-factors are preferable.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
    --Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Update: Work in Progress - Karakoram

Well, I did say "in progress". To get back into some level of respectable fitness, I put the GT back in its original form. [with the exception of new bars and clipless pedals] The singlespeed was a little to steep of a learning curve for my aged body.

So, attached are a couple shots from yesterday's wet ride in AZ. Oh, and I'm new to clipless pedals so this led to a couple embarassing falls.

Best,
    Rich

mtbr member
    68mm is shell and 113 should denote spindle length required for proper chainline. Please correct me if I am wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice and muddy! I like the looks of it. I'm getting all my SS stuff this week so expect a couple of pics of my Kara this month.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Beautiful old GT, I had a steel GT back in '95 and I sure do miss it now.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey - do you know what year that frame is? It has the cables routed through an indention in the top tube, right? I have one with the same frame, but someone along the way spray-bombed it metallic gray. I'm thinking I'll strip it & repaint it soon 'cause I love the bikes.

I also have an '88 Karakoram that has horizontal rear dropouts....seriously thought of doing the SS/FG thing with it, but it's ending up going back in service as an urban bomber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiataccompli
    Hey - do you know what year that frame is? It has the cables routed through an indention in the top tube, right?
    I am fairly certain its a '94 Karakoram. I had the best time riding it yesterday, it felt FAST on the very smooth Sport loop at the McDowell Mountain park. Now I just have to get in better shape and pick a drier day to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does your Kara have a 1" or 1 1/8" headset. I've been looking for front shocks for an old Mongoose frame I have, but need to find one that uses 1" threaded headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sballs
    Does your Kara have a 1" or 1 1/8" headset. I've been looking for front shocks for an old Mongoose frame I have, but need to find one that uses 1" threaded headset.
    1 1/8 threadless headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Quick question to you Kara owners. I know that the bottom bracket for the frame is 73mm but what is the other number? My I-drive team is 68 by 113mm. Can anyone of you guys help me out on this one. I'd like to buy the right bottom bracket so I can get my SS Kara going, and post some pics of it ASAP. Thanks in advance guys.
    The BB spindle length is dependent upon the model of crank you use...not the frame. What crank are you planning to use on the Karakoram???

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was thinking of going with an old shimano XT with a splined bottom bracket but now I'm going with a truvativ carbon with outboard bearings. It's a hand me down from one of my buddies. I guess it wouldn't make a difference now as long as I use the right spacers; right?

mtbr member
    Bah, I'm just dumping in pics into this thread......

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Bring back that bar!

Boy the grass is green in AZ!

I found that bullhorn actually functional on my SS settings as I can stand on the pedal easily with my weight forward. It offers a smooth hand position transition, unlike the flat bars with bar ends. Mine is Scott AT-2 LF, and itís supposedly very flexy bar. As thin as the wall is, I can see how flexy it can be but itís light for sure. Itís a a narrow bar, but still gives me a plenty of grip. Besides, I donít see these too often on the trails and I think it kind of looks sexy on our vintage GTs. I think you oughta put it back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Boy the grass is green in AZ!

I found that bullhorn actually functional on my SS settings as I can stand on the pedal easily with my weight forward. It offers a smooth hand position transition, unlike the flat bars with bar ends. Mine is Scott AT-2 LF, and itís supposedly very flexy bar. As thin as the wall is, I can see how flexy it can be but itís light for sure. Itís a a narrow bar, but still gives me a plenty of grip. Besides, I donít see these too often on the trails and I think it kind of looks sexy on our vintage GTs. I think you oughta put it back
    I know, it does add some authenticity with the bar. I just can't figure out how to wrap the bar w/tape [cork?] and make it look good. As you can see in my signature, I'd like to find the OEM grips that come on the ole bullhorn.

I put on a set of GT Bologni <sp> forks tonight, full rigid riding now! Plus they are the matching purple paint, so it looks pretty sweet.

Rich

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I donít know if there is a proper way Ė so far itís working on mine.

I cut the tape ends in rectangular shape, started from near brake clamps (double wrapped at the end), then worked my way up to the end of the bar by firmly wrapping the tape. Push whatever left hanging into the bar, plugged the ends with any old bar end plugs. So far the tape hasn't slipped out of its position. It gives me marginally wider bar area to work with, and the smooth transition from horizontal to vertical position lets me concentrate more on the trail features rather than the hand position, in my opinion. I actually cut the ends by 2 inches since this picture was taken, so itís got a shorter horns now.

This bar is good for a XC SSíing (training ride, no big drops and jumps, focused more on uphill and smooth single track), but probably not suitable for AM bikes. I'm sure you'd agree on this. It's a purposely installed feature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    I actually cut the ends by 2 inches since this picture was taken, so itís got a shorter horns now.
    HA, I did the same thing, just cut away the slight upturn of the bar ends. Its just more aesthetically pleasing. I'll try the bar wrap this weekend!

mtbr member
    Hi,

I just found this thread by accident. I have a 92 karakoram (unfortunately had to respray over the tequila sunrise original paint...) and have converted it to a SS without a tensioner.

Due to the 16.5' chainstays, a 32x16 gear fits perfectly. Have never had the chain drop off.

will post a pic in a few days...

cj

mtbr member
    Here you go, it is set up for commuting at the moment, and the chain is really old, hence the slight sag. A new chain is ever so slightly tight, but after a few rides loosens up and is fine for a 12 months.

have ridden this bike going on 15 years now in various guises and conditions and still love it.

c

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuggboy
    Here you go, it is set up for commuting at the moment, and the chain is really old, hence the slight sag. A new chain is ever so slightly tight, but after a few rides loosens up and is fine for a 12 months.

have ridden this bike going on 15 years now in various guises and conditions and still love it.

c
    I like it! Is that the original fork as well?

mtbr member
    yep, i have the 'flip flop' stem around somewhere too. I may chuck it on someday. It needs a new set of cranks as the taper has worn down, probably due to over tightening at some stage (oops!). I'll get it up and running for XC again, it'll be the next project.

I love the early to mid 90's GTs, I always dreamed of a Xizang. the Psyclones were also hot. One day i'll find one to restore...

cj

mtbr member

Not an update, commentary.......

Well, I just finished an 8 mile technical ride this morning after putting on the OEM rigid fork. On the fast and smooth singletrack, it was GREAT! On the rockgardens and rough downhills...not fun at all. And I'm afraid living in AZ, I'm going to be facing much more of the latter.

So, I am fairly certain I want to keep the full rigid and quite handsome Karakoram limited to light trail riding and commuting. I need to start saving for a serious FS ride as to save my aging body.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Powder coat first pics

So it begins. I just got my frame back from powder coating yesterday so here are some pics. She's a little dusty though. I had the guy weld a disc brake tab and also a support for the rear to take some of the disc braking forces. I cut up an old disc and fasioned it out of that. There was a little notch left over where I had to grind the stay to get the disc brake just right and I hope that won't interfere with things. I'll post more pics as it progresses. Does anyone know the seatpost size? I'm assuming it is a 26.8 but any input would be nice.

mtbr member
    Wow, it looks great! Those disk brakes will be sweet... and I'm stuck w/old cantis ......

Keep the updates coming!

Rich

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    26.8mm indeed.........and curse you kind sir for getting further ahead and your Karakoram project than me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hee hee.... Mine should be done this week. I hope. I have to redo the threads on the bottom bracket. Then it is all good to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

groove tube fitting

Hey Jim, here's the pic of the fitting. Let me know if this is the one you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

OnZa

Bar ends

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Well, here she is...my Kara

Eventually I'm gonna powder coat the cranks and the fork legs a bright glossy white and get some white wheels. Does anyone know where I can get some Karakoram decals for this thing? It looks naked without them. I rode it today and it was awesome. I'm running a 36:16 combo and it hurts a little in the lungs and legs but It really rocks here in Oklahoma flat land.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Looks great!

I just ordered a set off a guy that I found on Ebay. He sells a lot of Xizang and LTS decals. I believe his e-mail address is ps930@yahoo.com.

mtbr member

Final Iteration

Well, after a fork, new [used] shifters, new brake levers, I think I'm done. She rides great on the trail and I can't ask for anything else. So I think I'm done tweaking for a while and just enjoying the experience of being outside and exercising.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice ride Linoleum. I'm waiting on a fork for mine. I had to take the SID off and put it back on my racing bike. I'm sure I'll find one somewhere. Oh, and thanks to Blak Byke for pointing me to the decal guy on ebay. He didn't have any purple Kara decals but he had some other colors. I ordered one of each to see which ones look better. I'll post some final pics when I'm done.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    CRAP CRAP CRAPPITY CRAP CRAP!!!!

My decals came in a while back and the guy sent me 2 FREAKIN' SETS! I sent him an e-mail to inquire if he had sent me an extra set by accident and he stated that he sent me another set just in case. I don't know about you guy's but that's some good ish'! I say all that to say that I meant to pm you and let you know if you wanted the other set. I would have given them to you. No need to try and make money off of Paul's generosity. If anyone needs GT decals contact him as he is a CLASS ACT!

I'll post up pics of the sets when I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blak_byke
    CRAP CRAP CRAPPITY CRAP CRAP!!!!

My decals came in a while back and the guy sent me 2 FREAKIN' SETS! I sent him an e-mail to inquire if he had sent me an extra set by accident and he stated that he sent me another set just in case. I don't know about you guy's but that's some good ish'! I say all that to say that I meant to pm you and let you know if you wanted the other set. I would have given them to you. No need to try and make money off of Paul's generosity. If anyone needs GT decals contact him as he is a CLASS ACT!

I'll post up pics of the sets when I get a chance.
    Then you realize that those decals are probably "water borne' decals right? You know what that means and how they work? The aren't stickers and once they float off that backing they are very fragile. Paul knows this and that's why he sent two. So just make sure you're careful. I'd say chances are you might be getting in touch with Paul for more before you are done. I say this from personal knowledge and experience. The worst kind of decal is an older water borne decal. They get brittle with age and if the paper is flexed before you wet it they can tend to crack up a bit.. Just be careful. Don't start unless you've got lots of time and Don't rush it. Make sure you clear coat over them. If they go unprotected they won't last long.

mtbr member
    Well, after a fork, new [used] shifters, new brake levers, I think I'm done. She rides great on the trail and I can't ask for anything else. So I think I'm done tweaking for a while and just enjoying the experience of being outside and exercising.
    Those pics bring back memories - My first ever MTB ride, and first big crash, was on that trail on a black Karakoram of the same year. Wish I had never sold that bike.
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thank you sir and yup, you are absolutely correct! During my correspondance with him he alerted me of that very fact, but thanks for your detail. That's why I am having a powder coater that works with bikes do it for me. I can and will do a lot of things, but I know my limits . Like you stated I will be ordering another set and may try my hand as a project but for this one I'll leave it to the pro's.

Thanks again for the heads up on water-borne decal handling !

Now for a color choice that goes with those orange decals.................

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They do look like water-borne decals. I do have experience building scale airplane and car models so hopefully that will pay off. LOL! I'll make sure and clearcoat them afterwards. Thanks for the info GM. As always, you are full of important facts and need to know tidbits.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Blak, if those decals are the purple Karakoram set I will gladly take them if you don't use them. Let me know. He's sending me a few extra to practice as well. Paul is great guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry man, they are the Orange ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    No problem Blak_Byke I ordered some orange and some yellow to see which ones looked better on the purple frame. I haven't gotten them yet. How long did it take for you to get yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast