Thread: Why a GT......

mtbr member

Why a GT......

So, ive been looking at Cannondales and specialized and pretty much had my heart set on one till i walked into a lbs and saw the 2011 Karakoram 2.0 in silver.... i have this crazy thing with silver... business trucks sliver, wifes truck and my car is sivler, so when i saw this bike it just set me off.... anyway, i grew up with mongoose and gt.. i didnt know gt made good mountain bikes.... my newbie question to you guys is, why a Gt... why should i get the gt over a cannondale or a specialized, besides the fact i love the way it looks... the ride on all three of the brands were pretty close, so i cant even say i liked ones ride over the other... so why a gt????

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know what you mean. I own a couple of Cannondales and realy like them, but I have been realy liking The GT Karakoram. Their is a guy in the Pennsylvania forums who post quite a bit of pictures of his rigid GT 29r and I love them. I went to a local bike shop that sells them and almost went home with one. I what to purchase a rigid geared 29'r and hoping GT will have one this year,

Braugh Bro.
    With GT vs. cannondale/specialized, you can generally expect the price to value ratio to be more in GTs favor, although only marginally so.

Cannondale and Specialized, along with Trek, are the most heavily marked up brands that I have seen. GTs tend to be no more marked up than the average brand.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    With GT vs. cannondale/specialized, you can generally expect the price to value ratio to be more in GTs favor, although only marginally so.

Cannondale and Specialized, along with Trek, are the most heavily marked up brands that I have seen. GTs tend to be no more marked up than the average brand.
    What he said.

And if you like the look of the GT and the spec is up to par, why not?

I love the Triple Triangle design and the GT's I've had have been great handlers.

As a Cannondale owner, I can also wholeheartedly say that you should be wary of their propriety forks like the Lefty...
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

undercover brother
    I chose my GT out of the price to spec ratio. The triple triangle looks wicked and they produce sturdy frames. They also warranty their frames for life.

IMO Trek and cannondale are too aware of their brand name. Even worse is specialized. I'm not dissing their bikes one bit, as I would probably love any of them as much as my GT, but they are definitely the more expensive brands, and I think you can find an equally spec'd bike for considerably less. However, the more money they pull in, the more money goes to R&D, and they are usually some of the first brands out with newer technology. Cannondale seems to be the guru's on suspension systems.

Bassmaster
    Jul 2012
    my LBS carries Cannondale, scott, GT. I bought a cannondale but he was very keen on the Scott's and GT. He wanted to put me on a scale but they are/were unavailable. He had good things to say about them all and even had me ride the GT twice to give it a fair shake. Quality wise they were all great rides, i would have no problem riding any of them.

mtbr member
    I got a better answer, and it trumps the value ratio or anything else.

I'd get a GT because rather than slot into some arbitrary niche the magazines tell you its important to follow, GT seems to build their bikes to be fun to ride, and thats far more important.

If you look at the bikes and they way they set them up, they are just a bit different from everybody else. Slight angle differences, components, whatever. But its those little differences which I think are key. The Distortion I am on makes NO SENSE AT ALL, but its completely awesome. It fits absolultely ZERO of the current flavour of the week categories, but it rocks so hard it could own a bunch of them. Its a bike thats clearly built only for fun, and THAT is far more important to me than anything else out there.

GT seems to follow this mentality in a few places in the lineup too, hardtails included. Little things just sort of make them a bit more fun to ride.

No, i don't work for GT. But I do ride one.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com View Post
    I got a better answer, and it trumps the value ratio or anything else.

I'd get a GT because rather than slot into some arbitrary niche the magazines tell you its important to follow, GT seems to build their bikes to be fun to ride, and thats far more important.

If you look at the bikes and they way they set them up, they are just a bit different from everybody else. Slight angle differences, components, whatever. But its those little differences which I think are key. The Distortion I am on makes NO SENSE AT ALL, but its completely awesome. It fits absolultely ZERO of the current flavour of the week categories, but it rocks so hard it could own a bunch of them. Its a bike thats clearly built only for fun, and THAT is far more important to me than anything else out there.

GT seems to follow this mentality in a few places in the lineup too, hardtails included. Little things just sort of make them a bit more fun to ride.

No, i don't work for GT. But I do ride one.

best answer so far... good stuff....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So it sounds like and I agree That GT is better bang for the buck. I also like the way they look and ride. I was just conserned about the weight. I never weighed a GT but the bikes I looked felt heavier than my Cannondales and Trek, little lighter than my old steel Giant. My 26 inch large stock cannondale and trek weigh about 26 - 26 lbs and my 29 inch medm cannondale weighs about 27 lbs. I could not find any weight listings on the GT's to compare.

mtbr member
    Look, unless you're XC racing don't get caught up in the weight game. Its pointless. Geometry and "fun factor" will trump an extra pound or two, especially if its spread out over the frame. If you're worried about the weight, just replace certain key parts (wheels, fork, crank) with lighter stuff as you go.

Most people think that a pound or two will make a difference, but most times it won't. Its where the weight is thats key. A 5 pound frame with a 1500g wheelset will feel faster than a 4 pound frame and a 1900g wheelset.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com View Post
    Look, unless you're XC racing don't get caught up in the weight game. Its pointless. Geometry and "fun factor" will trump an extra pound or two, especially if its spread out over the frame. If you're worried about the weight, just replace certain key parts (wheels, fork, crank) with lighter stuff as you go.

Most people think that a pound or two will make a difference, but most times it won't. Its where the weight is thats key. A 5 pound frame with a 1500g wheelset will feel faster than a 4 pound frame and a 1900g wheelset.
    Yes, sounds good and I would have to agree. I am not a weight weenie, but it is something that I consider when I am comparing bikes.

No good in rock gardens..
    I too look at weight - GT seem to err on the side of burly when it comes to frames, though this year's frames seem to be a little more paired down when compared to last years, with their enormous downtubes. Further, GT has often tended to spec more trailworthy tyres than other brands on their hardtails - the likes of the 2.35 / 2.1 Nevegal combo. That trend seems to have also changed with their upper level Karakorums and Avalanches specced with lighter, faster tyres.

I tend to agree with dropmachines - an extra pound won't be noticed, especially if it's spread out over the bike. Heavy wheels and tyres are where you will notice extra weight.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    While the GT triple triangle frame is a big selling point, as said above, they do make fun and unique bikes! Their whole lineup does not have the typical vanilla starting bike, then works it's way up from there. All of their models have looked to be rather stout and built mountain bikes.

The price is great compared to most, and the frames are excellent and will surely last longer than you care to ride the bike for.

I am riding a discontinued style, the SS Peace 9r, it is such a unique ride at a great price, I really do plan on having this bike by my side for as long as I am in the sport. If I upgrade, it certainly won't be to a different frame, but a completely different style bike. (as in 26 all mountain rig)

Go for the GT, it will be equipped better at a lower price. Enjoy your unique yet quality built bike.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    I am probably biased because my GT is a 2008, but my FSR blows my GT away. The GT frame design is EXCELLENT and was a huge selling point for me. From a maintenance perspective however, (speaking for an average person with limited bike wrenching skills) Which I AM NOT, the GT is not as easy to work on.

In addition, the post from user theycallmebrown in regards to him not being able to buy a rear triangle for his 2009 sanction, well, thats says enough for me. I am pretty sure that specialized, trek and many of the other higher end (higher mark up) brands identified above would probably have this in stock for sale or warranty replacement. What good is a lifetime warranty if you can't get a replacement in the first 2-3 yrs of a bikes life. That alone makes paying a little more worth it to me. Still great bikes, but did give me pause. We aren't talking an aggressor here.... Sanction.
    Last edited by shadowsports; 08-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others