mtbr member

Where do GT Bikes ship from?

Ordered a 2013 Karakoram 2.0 29er at the end of last week, told it shipped 08/26 via Fed Ex. Was also told this is a drop shipped bike shipped directly by the manufacturer, so they were unable to provide me with a tracking number at this time.

Does anyone know where GT bikes (specifically the 2013 Karakoram 2.0 29") would ship from?

mtbr member
    Probably from UK? Just guessing though.

Sneaker man
    er...where did you buy it from?
    Normal channels would be (assuming your in the US), the factory bulk shipping container to the local distributer (EG GT USA) , they would stay there until you order it (or there is an order) to your local bike store.
    If you are buying from a big enough chain store type thing it could go directly from the factory to the store's warehouse in a full container, then from there out to the local stores or straight to you.

dropshipped is usually a term used on dodgey websites out of china.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKingPenguin View Post
    Probably from UK? Just guessing though.
    I need to update my location. We moved to the states after the Tohoku Earthquake in March 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    er...where did you buy it from?
    Normal channels would be (assuming your in the US), the factory bulk shipping container to the local distributer (EG GT USA) , they would stay there until you order it (or there is an order) to your local bike store.
    If you are buying from a big enough chain store type thing it could go directly from the factory to the store's warehouse in a full container, then from there out to the local stores or straight to you.

dropshipped is usually a term used on dodgey websites out of china.
    I bought it from Bike Nashbar, has been around forever. In the past, including a previous bike purchase, they've always done a good job, but this time they managed to charge my card the full amount four times (three of those have since fallen off), and otherwise tick me off with details not worth going into.

Did not buy it from an LBS, so it is being direct shipped to me. "Drop shipped" may not have been the correct term, but that's the term the woman I spoke to at Nashbar (the fifth time I called) used.

(The good news is that PricePoint.com was awesome when I spoke with them, and I've got a bunch of tools, SRAM X.9 Drive Kit, bike stand and a bright yellow jacket to avoid being turned into road kill, so if they manage to deliver on my expectations, I'll just use them for everything going forward.)

(I like LBSs, I just don't like the LBS near me. I visited him the day I placed my order. I was going to ask how close he could get on price, and in a few minutes of talking to him, this was the second time I've gone in and spoken with him, I knew I wasn't going to ask him about getting a bike.)

Sneaker man
    yeah see thats why we need to know where you bought it, nashbar should be fine, was just hoping it wasn't some super cheap web store out of indonesia (they do loads of "we have all the new bikes you could want for super cheap" but take your money and you don't get anything) or a store in china that take you money and you get the product, but its dodgey as hell (either stolen from the factory or a copy).
    Wasn't saying you need to buy from a lbs, just saying thats basically how the bike will come if you did.
    nashbar would be the bulk buying way.
    Now of course I could be completely wrong as I'm not in logistics or anything, but I would say they can't give you tracking as it's likely your bike is not the only one in the shipment, could be taking a while as they had (or the courier) were waiting to fill a container, or maybe they just waited until they had enough bikes on order to make it worthwhile to do an order (depending on where stuff is coming from).

*edit
    looking into dropship more, I only know it from being a forum mod from a different forum and following suspected spam links, most of them are "dropshipped". Didn't realise it was not just used by dodgy fakers...
    SO guessing it will come straight to you from manufcaturer, but woudl have thought that would be GT USA distributor, but guess it could be from tawain or china...

Never used nashbar, but have use pricepoint and they were good, but also jenson, cambria bike outfitters, wiggle and crc. All of them have been from their own warehouse, and all been very good.

heres a nifty vid on crc: Video: Chain Reaction Cycles – how do they do it? on Vimeo
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Thanks. :-)

The bike arrived today, and for anyone else who's wondering about this for a GT, and possibly other Cycling Sports Group bicycles, in the future, it shipped from OLNEY, IL, although the address on the packing list is Bethel, CT 06801

Sneaker man
    Ride time then!
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Ride time then!
    Kind of. I'm dealing with this:
    Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.