Living Life Behind Bars..

New question here. What year is this Zaskar ?

This frame was re-painted Bubble Gum Pink and it is pre-disc. What year is this Zaskar ?Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    It's not a Zaskar. It's a repainted frame that someone put 1996 model year Zaskar decal on.

Dead give aways that it's not a Zaskar.
    1) Curved top tube end cap. Zaskars from late 90 to 99 were flat.
    2) Serial number that starts "H4". The "H" stands for Taiwan-Hodaka" one of the best quality plants in Taiwan. This is probably a repainted Avalanche frame.

All late 90 to 99 Zaskars have the serial number stamped in the left rear dropout and the serial number is all numbers and the first four numbers indicate the month and year the frame was made. For example a serial number that starts with 0393 was built in March of 1993. Here's to hoping you didn't pay big money for a Zaskar because that's not what this is. This is fraud plain and simple.

Hope this is helpful to you.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    On a different note, are there any numbers stamped inside the right rear dropout? There are a bunch of Zaskar fanatics on this forum, they'll figure it out.

seriously you think it is not a zaskar ? the decals I know are not actuals and the top tube decal was not placed properly as they were bought on ebay for the re-paint and it is not for sale so it is all good on that front.

we are just trying to figure out the year but 50% of the arguement is adamant it was a ball burnished Zaskar prior to the re-paint ?

Inside the right rear dropout out it is stamped 7005. ( vertically )

Inside the left dropout it is stamped H4J13379. and stamped vertically it is another 7005 on this same side ?

[QUOTE=g This is fraud plain and simple.

Hope this is helpful to you.[/QUOTE]

Take'r her easy there, just seeking some insight to settle a arguement. Looking for a definitive year if possible though. Thx

Sneaker man
    Looks liek you just walked into a bigger argument...

what makes you say it IS a zaskar, i'm not saying he's right, but Gm is a fair fountain of knowledge when it comes to gt frames and its a pretty commong thing to dogey up zaskars, you said your self that the stickers come from ebay, so probably not genuine, so maybe the whole thing isn't... not saying it isn't but theres always a fair chance...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    7005 is the first give away. That type of derailleur hanger came on 93-95 year and all Zaskars of that era were 6061 aluminum. My guess is avalanche, definitely not Zaskar. Since it has canti posts not u-brake that makes it 94 or 95.

I have no idea but I don't think it is based on the two little holes on the rear drops. I think those are fender eyelets ? I am agreeing with the non Zaskar assesment but it is falling on deaf ears. I think the repaint probably cost more than the frame but I never saw the frame prior to this so....someone else said it may have been a Panterra ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Zaskars from that era were 6061

I agree with GM1230126, whom is well known on this forum and has a handle like a frame serial number himself , that this is a repainted Avalanche or even lower end frame....

sorry man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Aside from all the non Zaskar posts....I am digging that bubble gum pink. It will definitely be a one of a kind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow, awsome paint job! That's a bling regardless of the frame's origin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    seriously you think it is not a zaskar ? the decals I know are not actuals and the top tube decal was not placed properly as they were bought on ebay for the re-paint and it is not for sale so it is all good on that front.

we are just trying to figure out the year but 50% of the arguement is adamant it was a ball burnished Zaskar prior to the re-paint ?

Inside the right rear dropout out it is stamped 7005. ( vertically )

Inside the left dropout it is stamped H4J13379. and stamped vertically it is another 7005 on this same side ?

Please go back up and read my first post.. The decals are actuals. I said the decals are from the 1996 model year Zaskar. I have a half dozen sets in my basement. You can buy them on eBay right now if you want. (That's one problem..anyone can slap them on a GT aluminum frame and think they can pull the wool over peoples eyes and pawn a lower end frame off for good money.....Baaaaaa!)

The 50% of your argument that is adamant about it previously being a Ball Burnished Zaskar is 100% wrong. Again read my post. Zaskars of that vintage were All USA built and as I told you that now pink frame was built by Taiwan Hodaka one of the highest quality factories in the world. The serial number proves that.

Any hardtail GT frame from that era, "1994", that is stamped 7005 in the rear dropout was made in Taiwan and would have been an Avalanche, From 1995 on A valanche, Panteras, Backwoods and Tempest were all made in Polished or Billet finishes that looked like a Ball Burnished frame from 10 feet away.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.