mtbr member
    Mar 2008

What size frame to get?

I am looking into getting a 2006 GT I-Drive 5 4.0, new, but I don't know what frame size to order. I am ordering it on line so I want to make sure I get the right size on the first try....

I am 5'5.5 with a 30 in inseam.

I tried a Specialized Epic and found that a medium fit well, however, I have heard that the GT's run big. I read somewhere that someone who is 5'7" was riding a small GT in this particular model.

Any advice about whether I should order a small or medium?

No good in rock gardens..
    Those 2006 and 2007 bikes are quite high in the top tube and you will have no standover clearance on a medium bike. They are also fairly long - from memory the small I Drive 5 runs as long in the effective top tube as a medium Avalanche. I'd get the small.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great, thank you very much for your help

I rather be cycling...

... and if we just ... maybe you can help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Those 2006 and 2007 bikes are quite high in the top tube and you will have no standover clearance on a medium bike. They are also fairly long - from memory the small I Drive 5 runs as long in the effective top tube as a medium Avalanche. I'd get the small.

Im about to buy a i-Drive 5 SMALL for my girlfriend.. she is 5'5" (like 1.64 metres) with inseam like 31" (like .79 mts) but she doesnt have the same reach, so she maybe does not have standover issues but maybe the bike is to long for her?

any help?

(as always excuse my english)

thank you!
    Languages spoken: bicyclish, spanish and a bit of english
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy_GDpbRvk

No good in rock gardens..
    Ideally she should try it on for fit - I'm about 5'7" and a small would be what I'd go for in one of those. If the small was too long, you could alleviate it a little bit with a zero setback post and a slightly shorter stem. They are still quite a high bike. Some of the the I Drive 4's feature a bend in the top tube to increase standover a little. They are also a bit lighter than the I Drive 5 and are still quite a plush bike on the trail too. I have friends with both models and have tried them all out.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....