mtbr member
    Aug 2012

What should i buy and why?

I'm getting a good deal on a 2009 GT Force and 2007 GT idrive 7 3.0. Roughly 700 for either and they are in great condition. Not sure what i should buy. I usually just bike in state parks and do mostly trails and little rough downhills.

Please explain why you choose each bike please. Also had a question on the difference between the 1.0 2.0 and 3.0.

Thanks

Braugh Bro.
    Wow, strangely I have those exact two bikes, and are the only two mtbs i have right now. I personally enjoy riding the ruckus (idrive 7) more, but that may be due to the fact that my force is still not finished, so it has some rickety leftover parts from old bikes on it. The ruckus is much, much heavier, but with the right gearing, it is totally climbable, and an absolute blast on the downhill, and feels natural in the air. The force is a great climber, but it's steep head tube angle makes downhills a bit sketchier, but you get use to it after a bit and it becomes a non issue. can't say the force jumps well. I probably just prefer the ruckus since my riding sytle/discipline is more on the DH/FR side of things.

Differences between 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 are just components. My force is a 3.0, and my ruckus is a 2.0, but that means nothing but color because i built them from the frame up.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    I would suggest another brand. If you look closely, there are a number of disturbing posts from others which discuss ongoing issues people continue to have with this brand. As you can see, one of my current bikes is a GT. I ride it daily, or at least every other day. Super plush ride.

Then I started looking into replacement parts. Some are easy to come by, others are not. The dropouts are about $50 each side. I knew they were unique going into this. I've talked with a lot of people who ride and have friends in the industry. A few of them own shops. Of these two were GT dealers previously. Opinion overall... GT makes an excellent product. Their dealer support and customer service however, is lacking.

I don't care how good something is. If it is going to be difficult or expensive to fix, this goes into my purchase decision. Of late, I feel like the GT Nazi. I've not been giving them very good press here, but I don't feel like they've really earned it. I'm selling my bike. If you can pick up an '09 Force 2 for 7 bills, that sir is a great deal!

I realize now that I am biased. I manage a technical support organization. We service what we sell. If we didn't no one would buy our products. I am not going to support a manufacturer on a hope that they will be able to take care of me. I'm sure there are a hundred good experiences for every bad one, but if you look at the trend since 2008, GT/Pacific's track record isn't in my view favorable from a customer perspective.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the input guys.... i'm just looking for a good uphill and down hill bike. I'm more of a noob to the MTB world so any opinion is great info.