mtbr member
    Oct 2008

What makes a old cro-mo GT model different

My name is Jim and I am brand new to this forum but have been riding since the early 90's though mostly on my own.

This may be a somewhat bonehead question but it seems to be one I need to have answered. I have a 1994 Karakoram (purple) that I have owned since it was new. Although it still looks pretty darn good, the components are now quite thrashed and in need of replacing. A couple of weeks ago the right shifting pod (combo shift brake) went all to hell stopping any more rides until some work is done.

My question is this. Were there any differences in a GT Karakoram and, say a Tequesta, Aggressor or other cro-mo's besides components?

The reason I ask is because on one of my last rides on the Karakoram, I was talking with a guy I ran across on the trail and he told me what a good climber the bike was in it day. Another time I was told by another guy that he would love to run across a Karakoram frame and build one from scratch.

Any insight would be great.
    Last edited by soop106; 11-29-2008 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    There are riders that just like the characteristics of a steal frame ride. Not as stiff and punishing as most aluminum hardtails. For some of us it's what we started on and "if it ain't broke" don't fix it or change. After all most of the change in the industry is brought on by designers in the industry that are paid to keep the industry moving by creating something new to make people drool over and want. You can probably find a good single lever or pair to match what was original on you bike. Probably a ST-M563 shifter if it's 1994. most years the Karakoram had Tange seamless double butted chromoly main tubing. The Tequesta had the same tubing one year but I think was seamed chromoly tubing most years. The Aggressor was GT's low end entry level front suspension bike so it didn't have anything special for tubing.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soop106
    I have a 1994 Karakoram (purple) that I have owned since it was new. Although it still looks pretty darn good, the components are now quite thrashed and in need of replacing.
    Welcome Jim. I have the same year/color GT. For the reasons you described, I singlespeeded my Karakoram. Its fun and lighter as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mine's in the process of getting powdercoated in the original (or very close to) purple color. I could've had it powdercoated for $45 in white or black but I decided to keep it purple and pay the pretty penny for it. Now if I could just find the decals for this bike I would be set instead of having them airbrushed or something. I did add a disc brake tab to it and I'm making it a singlespeeder as well. I can't wait to put it together. I should have the frame back by the end of the week. I've never had a cro-mo frame so I'm really looking forward to the ride. Can you guys post pics of your Karakorams? Thanks.

GT J

mtbr member
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...reequarter.jpg

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50.../driveline.jpg

Iīve since lost the chain tensioner and added egg beater pedals. Let me know if you need any more detail photos. [few more pics in my user gallery too]

Best,

Rich
    Last edited by Linoleum; 11-30-2008 at 09:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh man....never was much for the modern but got to do me one of those now. Thanks for the picks Linoleum!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What do you mean you dropped the tensioner? did you use an eccentric hub or does it work without the tensioner?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    What do you mean you dropped the tensioner? did you use an eccentric hub or does it work without the tensioner?
    On my maiden voyage testing her on the trail, the chain kept slipping [not enough wrap around the rear cog]. So I tried removing a link, too tight w/the tensioner. From that point I just removed the entire tensioner and it seems to be the perfect combination. [32/16]

I havenīt tried out the clipless pedals yet, I hope 39 yrs old isnīt too late to try something new!

Rich

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't understand the fixed speed thing. That 1994 Karakoram was the best climber that I've ever rode. I remember my friends and I taking turns trying to conquer a very steep hill without leaving the pedals. We spent three days taking turns trying to get up it, finally old John made it up with his Karakoram. Another guy borrowed his the Karakoram and made it up on the first try, then I did the same. That day we got to see what an advantage John had on climbs with that bike, it was amazing..... You give up that ability when you make it a fixed speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't say that.. I converted my Ti Zixang to a SS and I think it climbs the same or better than when I had is setup geared.
    you just need to pick the right combination of gearing for your style, I tend to be a gear masher so I love climbing on the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by swaustex
    I don't understand the fixed speed thing. That 1994 Karakoram was the best climber that I've ever rode. I remember my friends and I taking turns trying to conquer a very steep hill without leaving the pedals. We spent three days taking turns trying to get up it, finally old John made it up with his Karakoram. Another guy borrowed his the Karakoram and made it up on the first try, then I did the same. That day we got to see what an advantage John had on climbs with that bike, it was amazing..... You give up that ability when you make it a fixed speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaustex
    That may very well be the case, that's why I kept all of my gears/shifters/etc. I may hate the singlespeed set up in the long run, but my impression from the first few rides, its great. Thank you for sharing the story about its capabilities!

mtbr member

Good job! new-to-me Karakoram

I picked up a '96 Karakoram recently thanks to my local Craigslist. I'm in the process of gathering parts to convert it to SS. It should be pretty sweet. The purple one Linoleum posted is partly responsible. It just looks so "right" as an SS. For now the bike will stay in its original blue to black colors.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
    --Albert Einstein