SAM
    Sep 2011

What GT bike do I have here? !!

Greetings,

I recently acquired a GT Full Suspension bike and cannot find the exact bike listed in BikePedia. I am trying to find out the year and model number. It is loaded up with XTR components...does not have disc brakes but has the tabs. Looks like some one took a spray can to part of the black paint so not sure if there were other decals on it. You can see the large "HOLMES" decal on the side. Has a FOX frame shock.

Any details would be appreciated !:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What GT bike do I have here? !!-gt12_sm.jpg  

What GT bike do I have here? !!-gt4_sm.jpg  

Last edited by sambiker33; 11-08-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Sneaker man
    A pic of the whole bike would be good... it looks liek an early idrive, like an xcr1000 or something (not too sure on iodrive nomenclature... are you sure thats a marzochi fork, looks more like a manitou (is it mrp on the top there on the crown)... but again, pics don't tell much

it look like maybe someone got that as a frame and maybe built it from bits they had
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

SAM
    Sep 2011
    mik_git thanks for the reply. The xcr1000 was the closest match I could find also...your right...I believe that is a Manitou fork on front. Anyone know where the serial number is on these bikes and how to reference ?

SAM
    Sep 2011

More pics...

I have some more pics that may help - the Manitou forks may have been added later because it has a specialized headset and azonic bars...and those probably are not stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What GT bike do I have here? !!-gt1_sm.jpg  

What GT bike do I have here? !!-gt7_sm.jpg  

What GT bike do I have here? !!-gt10_sm.jpg  

SAM
    Sep 2011

Full pic

Took a pic of the WHOLE BIKE...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What GT bike do I have here? !!-holmes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice find. Look at the 2000 XCR1000 on bikepedia. I'm going with the GT sticker on the rear triangle and the Easton 6000 series sticker on the down tube. You're right, whoever painted it only painted part of the front triangle. At least that's what it looks like to me. the parts on it are probably not all original either. She looks a little scratched up. If you have the time and a little bit of money, I would get it powder coated. It's worth it. Powder coating is a bit stronger than regular painting and will last longer and protect your frame better.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

SAM
    Sep 2011
    Hey gt jorgito ! Thanks for the comments...I think you may be right about the 2000 XCR1000 which works for me ! The powder coating option sounds great and that will be the plan. There is a guy locally that does it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Would love to see when it's all fixed up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Interesting. What's the advantage of having an EBB on that bike?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Sneaker man
    its how the whole original i-drive worked. i- drive being indepentent-drive (if i am remembering right).
    as the rear triangle moves through its path the bottom bracket stays in one place, There is a dogbone or something that attaches from main triangle to the BB, keeping it in place...
    I think...never really got into the idrive, not that i don't think it works, just that its a bit complicated and with my maintenance schedule would be knackered in no time.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Interesting...I wonder if it would make for a cool full suspension single speed conversion.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Sneaker man
    could be, but everything is moving about in there and the ebb is moving inside the shell. i believe that it isoloates the drivetrain, but that could mean isolates the drivetrain 99% and if you go singles speed, it'll still snap the chain on the 1st bump. Its not an ebb in the single speed sense
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3