mtbr member
    Apr 2007

What is going to happen with GT Personal

Has anyone heard if the GT guys in CA are going to move out east when the CA office is closed? You would think that Cannondale/Schwinn/Mongoose/GT would like to have a design center in CA. I would think that you could not ride year around in CT. I know people are upset about Cannondale no longer making bikes in the USA, but I am also upset that GT may lose some of it longtime employees. What do everyone else think.

mtbr member
    I also have concerns and wonder how long it will be until GT ideas/designs are on bikes that start with a C.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/2548.html

It'll cost a little over $4m to move everyone and start the new design center, but they'll save $4m every year by consolidating their design operations in one place. That's just common sense. There's no sense in having all these different offices doing the same thing, when it could be done better in one place.

And you can "ride year round" anywhere in the world. In some places it takes studded tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah it does make a lot of sense that way.

Just as long as we don't start seeing Schwinondales or Gtgooses. One of the things that has made both the GT and Cannondale names what they are is they're uniqueness. That'll be lost if the brands start sharing platforms to save costs.

I'll be seriously upset if i ever see a Zaskar spec'd with a Lefty!!!!

Personally i think it's gonna be sad for GT to loose it's SoCal connection, but i guess if it means the brand stays alive and healthy then so be it.

Maybe they should move Cannondale instead? They coulda used a bit of Cali style!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm afraid we're going to see a homogenization of the brands ala' Trek, which would be a very bad thing.

Doesn't seem to make sense to me to set up your HQ in CT and then shut down a good production facilty that's relatively close by in PA. Shift the manufacturing of the high end GT and C'dale frames there. I know that for a lot of people (myself included) the "Made in USA" label is worth something more. That's also very different from the "designed in USA (big letters) / made in China (small letters)" label some bikes sport.