mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New question here. What does the GT brand mean to you?

Hi
    I have been using this site for a while but never signed up as a member until today. My reason is to find out what the GT brand means to you... here's the deal:
    I am the assistant manager at a small but busy bike shop in LA county, California and I always remember GT as a cool brand but you never see them these days. I was cleaning shop last week and came across an old Decline magazine article that featured the history of GT, which got me thinking.
    We are looking for a new brand to feature in our shop and I told the owner and manager we should carry GT, they gave me a funny look...

I need your help in justifying why GT would be a good fit, so tell me

[SIZE="3"]What does the GT brand mean to you?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    -works a shop in australia- for us we find they are excellent value, great fitouts, always seem to be in stock, go down very well with the customers

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I haven't kept up with the current GT models...but I hope if you do decide to carrry them you make it. My first bike was a 1995 GT Timberline, and I still ride it now.(bought it in 1995). The reason I liked them was because of the "triple triangle" frame. I am a Super Clydesdale, and I thought the frame construction offered me more strength than other frames. Though I have moved on and trust other types of frames now, the triple triangle was and is a strong frame. GT... . PS: I will always remember Richard Long for giving me the opportunity to own such a strong bike. And Gary Turner too.
    Last edited by zarr; 11-18-2008 at 12:19 AM.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Back in the mid/late 90s, as a teen I lusted after a Zaskar. I remember staring at a frame in a shop for hours! Back then, they had the best riders on their team like Nico, Mike King, Juli Furtado and so on and the most innovative product line that in my opinion stands out as some of the best even to this day, from RTS, LTS, Lobo, I-drive and of course the Zaskar. Here in Australia, GT was THE bike to have, Having an LTS-DH was like having a Ferrari, everyone wanted one and envied those that did. Since the bankruptcy in 2001, it seems that their reputation has been on a decline ever since. When I went to buy a cheap hardtail commuter back in June, naturally the first bikes I looked at were GTs. Unfortunately, on the lower end models at least, they just dont grab you like they used to. The colours and graphics are way overdone, and next to equivalent price Cannondales and Scotts, are sub par. The high end stuff though, is sensational-The Force 1.0 and the Zaskar Carbon team recieved rave reviews from Australian publications, and seem to be reasonably popular. Their 2009 line of MTBs and BMX are really strong, and look like being capable of restoring GTs once formidable reputation. Undoubtedly the product is great, but image means so much in this game and GTs just don't seem to be cool anymore.

No good in rock gardens..
    I've owned a couple, and will most likely own more. One of my buddies sells them from his LBS and they are quite popular at all levels, from beginners to racers and trail riders. The Chuckers are also fairly popular with the teens as well.

To me, they offer value for money, a great variety of types and models and they are distinctive - the hardtails in particular stand out from the regular double diamond frames that most others offer.

They are also innovative, what with the carbon Force models they are offering for '09 as well.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Vita brevis
    I raced bmx back in the late '70s, and early '80s I got into freestyle. I had a frame\fork sponsorship deal with GT and they told me I had the first pro performer in OK. I quit riding in '84 because of injuries, and didn't hop back on a bike until 2004 when I bought my first mountain bike; a GT I-drive 2.0. It has been a great bike, and with a number of upgrades, is still my only mtb. To me, GT represents a continuity of quality. They were one of the first and greatest bmx companies, and are and have been a great mountain bike company.

mtbr member
    The new Cannondale Sports group wll be selling more bikes than the Trek brands within a few short years. There's no where for GT to go but up and their international sales are through the roof right now. The product for 09 is hot! it's also a complete line juvenile to adult....road, atb, mountain, bmx.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am considering buying a 09 GT force over a Santa Cruz or others I have been checking out GT for the last few year and feel that they were off the mark with their products a few years ago but now in 08 and 09 they have one of the nicest lineup of Mountain bikes I have seen. From super sweet hardtails to very nice fs bikes all configured with excellent components. I am a big fan of Shimano and GT are one of the few production mountain bikes to use a full Shimano groupo. I too recall GT as being the killer bike to own back in the 80's for BMX and now I think they are keeping with that tradition making some great mountain bikes.

May the Force be with you
    Value for your money and good customer service. The outside sales reps are helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Triple triangle frame, strong and unique in it's own way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We all know what the GT brand has done in the past and will do in the future. What GT means to me is innovation. The Independent drive is in a league of its own. It means uniqueness, the triple triangle stands out and everyone knows it's a GT. It means special, both my 2001 I-drive Team and my 2008 Force 2.0 turn heads. GT means alot to me. It's hard to explain what it really means when I smile after clearing a tough technical section my friends couldn't, and my Force 2.0 weighs 6 lbs more than their cross country racers. It's the pride I get when I beat guys in a race with my 8 year old GT I-drive Team and they are riding the latest carbon fiber bike. GT's are the only bikes that continue to bring a smile to my face when I go into my garage. That's what GT means to me. I love this brand.

GT J

Nice day for a ride.....
    Well for me its pretty simple, GT = Kick Ass!
    I've always had great luck with GT frames, all my GTs have started out as low level hardtails and have been upgraded to my liking. I've found that the Avalanche frames are the perfect fit for me and are plenty strong enough for me being an XC / Trail riding Clyde. I did crack my first Avalanche frame but only after 5 years and countless miles, much longer than any other machine I've ever had.
    I currently own 3 GT's, my 2008 Avalanche, my 2003 Avalanche, and my 2000 XCR1500 i-drive. When I first started out riding I bought a used GT Outpost ('95 or so, steel frame) that I sold about 3 years ago, I wish I would have kept it.
    Its also got something to do with lusting over the nice GT stuff back in '98 '99 when I first started riding and could not afford those sweet machines.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Born to push....
    GT to me means a bike that will last for a long time....even though my neweswt GT is a 1999 i-drive.
    When i was in college in the early 90's all the expensive bikes were GT's so once i was able to get a decent hardtail i got a GT Timberline an still use it today, even though its my town/highway bike its still in use..
    I have been looking for an old GT to use as a singlespeed bike.
    If i had to choose out of the 6 bikes i had to only keep 2 i'd keep my 2 GT's

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ive owned 2 GT's, an old 98 agressor that was great bike till it was stolen and now an 08 ruckus which is as tough as nails. Even though GT are now owned by pacific cycles I think there is still a strong sense of the GT of old and is still an excellent brand putting out quality products.

mtbr member
    The new line is strong and should catch some attention.. I have a 91 Zaskar that still commands respect whenever ridden, I'm going to convert it to a single speed soon and get back to a rigid front like it was designed back then .. I've had several other mountain bikes since the Zaskar purchase and I favor my SC superlight now but never wanted to sell the GT its an icon. I'd like to see them rise to the top again, maybe with the right marketing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKozkE0J23A

808+909 = Party Good Time
    My first GT but they make awesome bikes for good prices.

GT = Good Times.

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    I used to sell GT bikes in the late 80's and early 90's, they were the "hot" brand. I remember every kid for three X-mas's straigh wanted the Dyno ( a GT sister brand) VFR... and it was'nt that great of a bike, entry level BMX. Nonetheless, the name GT/ Dyno was smoking hot back then.

GT had most of the best riders. GT was one of the original DH innovators. The LTS was winning most of the world DH events in 95 and 96 and that and the STS were the bikes to have. Things were going great, the sky was the limit... then I quit riding, lost interest in bikes, and a decade has come and gone. I guess things have changed quite a bit in the Mtn. bike world, but to me GT was one of the best. I think with the proper marketing they could once again rise up, as previously mentioned image is everything in today's world.

I would bring their line in without hesitation if I ran a bike shop today... but then again, what do I know?