mtbr member
    Apr 2008

What is the difference

Hello all, trying to find a GT Zaskar Team Frame or a GT Zaskar frame or full bike that is ball burnished, what is the difference between all the gt models they all have the triple triangle frame, so is it the components, did they make the zaskars better than say backwoods,korkoram, pantera. I think the GT frames are just sick lookin and want one. thx for listening

Sneaker man
    it depends, the zaskar up until...er... someone check the date, but liek 2001...ish was made in the USA from 6061T6 aluminium. Over time it got butted and swagged tubing to make it lighter and lighter, in later years they were mostly painted and not ball burnished, I don't think a team was ever ball burnished but could be wrong. In early years the only dff between a zaskar and zaskar LE was XT vs XTR (component level), in fact all Zaskars will have the same frame (each year), its is the component level that dictates the lable (teal, LE etc).

Other frames look the same, but arn't, they are made not in the US and from not the same tubing (7005 usually) and not with the same level of tube manipulation (butting etc) so arn't as light. Could be argued that all the others are the same frame, jsut equiped/painted/stickered differenty...don't know if thats true.

This is assumptions on aluminium framesSteel and Titanium, thats more of the story.

You may want to google "is this a zaskar" you'll probably find a million threads with more (accurate) info than I'm giving.

Or try looking at some of the GT catalogues for each year, they'll give you a breakdown of the specs etc.

EDIT: truns out "is this a zaskar" is a crap thing to search!
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

rubber side down
    There is one on ebay right now. 18" frame. I'd love to grab it, but can't get another bike at the moment
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've got a 99 Avalanche, which is the same 6061 frame as the Zaskar except it was made in Taiwan. The only visible difference is that the Zaskar has a flat cap on the back of the top tube (with a GT logo on it) and the other aluminum frames have a curved end cap. Because GT applied their decals on top of bare frames with no clear coat, you'll see a lot of Avalanches, Panteras, etc that have been re-decaled as Zaskars.
    My Avalanche is painted white with a matching Bomber fork. I'd also be willing to part with it.

wat
    Avalanches were 7005 not 6061. At least the one I had was.. Maybe an LE?
    12 Trek Superfly AL Elite
    98 GT STS 1000 DS

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thx for your reply, sorry that i am a lazy fat 3 toed sloth and could not do it myself

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TailsNeon556 View Post
    Avalanches were 7005 not 6061. At least the one I had was.. Maybe an LE?
    What is the difference-av1.jpgWhat is the difference-av2.jpg