Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Weights of GT 2013 Karakoram 2.0 AlexRims TD19 and Black Flag wheel sets (w/ photos)

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TitaniumV12 
#1 ·
I was looking around for information about the 2013 Karakoram 2.0 stock rims, and I couldn't find very much. I eventually decided I to pick up a new wheel set, my third upgrade after a Manitou Tower Pro and pair of VP Components VP-001 pedals.

My Sun Ringle Black Flag Pros arrived today, and I thought I'd weigh both the stock and new wheels as I moved the rotors to the new bike. (I'm waiting for some Maxxis Ardent tires to come in that I'm going to run tubeless on the Black Flags.) I put some inexpensive rotors on the TD19s, and I'm going to keep them otherwise as is and run them at 65 PSI as my weekday commute tires. In the not to distant future, I'll probably pick up a pair of 700x32 road slicks for the TD19s, and keep the Aspens as back up tires.

Here are the results of the configurations I did weigh:

FrontF w/ RotorRearR w/ RotR w/ Rot + Cas.
AlexRims TD1910291178didn't weigh14231850
Black Flag Pro83998894810971522
Difference190 grams190 grams326 grams328 grams

The measurements were pretty consistent. Keep in mind that I kept the spoke protector and reflectors on the TD19s, as they're going to be my commuting tires, and that the cassette on the TD19 is not the exact same cassette as the one on the Black Flag Pro, not that the 2 grams is a big difference. Also, if it helps, the Black Flag Pro's list their weight as 1725g in their lightest possible configuration. I get 1787g as their combined weight when set up for use with quick release skewers in front and back.

I didn't buy the new wheels to be a weight weenie, but I did want wider rims and to go tubeless at lower pressures with tires that would give me better traction off road, so my goal wasn't to see how much lighter the wheels are, but to provide information for people that might be helpful, since I couldn't find much when I went looking.

Photos of the various configurations below:
Bicycle wheel rim Rim Spoke Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke Rim Bicycle part
Spoke Bicycle wheel rim Rim Bicycle part Metal
Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber
World Space Circle Steel
Bicycle wheel rim Rim Spoke World Bicycle tire
Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Bicycle part Bicycle tire
Spoke Circle Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire
Red Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Circle

See less See more
#2 ·
AH HA! It's you again, I really appreciate the effort you went through to post this VERY helpful info... I'm right on your path to upgrading this fun rig! These rims and hubs, GT should be shamed into explaining WTF they choose these + not providing detailed (if ANY) info regarding them. Hours of searching and time wasted on "propritary/in-house" scrap! Same goes with the SunSteel XCT-MLO OMG what a joke!

SunTour should learn from this; their "upgrade" program lol, gotta basically send in a blood sample when the moon is blue and full to get any "value." They OUGHT to just sell folks REFURBED "upgrades" as part of the trade in. Thus they keep the money and parts in-house, people working with stuff to overhaul and resell. I'd LOVE to trade this in, pay a FAIR price for a higher end - refurbed model. I mean Ebay/CList is basically the same thing just cheap, cept SunTour loses money and worst of all - if I didn't research them afterwards, I'd assume ALL their products were junk = not true, they make some NICE shox, but after using this POS, IDK if I'd patronize their business again... Ooops RANT [OFF]! :D

THANKS AGAIN DUDE!

#3 ·
AH HA! It's you again, I really appreciate the effort you went through to post this VERY helpful info...

THANKS AGAIN DUDE!
Thanks! Very glad this was helpful.

I actually made a post about the first four upgrades I made here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/2013-karakoram-2-0-heavier-than-expected-912477.html

That should sum up what old components weighed, and what weight savings (which was not the primary reason for the upgrades) were gained. At this point, I've moved some things around as a result of building a FS bike this year, so at least the stock pedals are back on.

Either way, I still like the bike. It's mostly ridden with the stock rims and urban tires, with Black Flag Rims with Ardent/Aspen tires sitting in the garage since I ride my FS the most, but I have ridden it on the trails multiple times this year, and it's a fine bike. I also do like the 120mm fork I swapped for the stock fork. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. It's a great fork and the XC80 was garbage. I don't know if it compresses 10cm or not, but I know I'm glad it's off my bike.

#4 ·
Great to see that this bike is being shown some good love. I bought one earlier this year and promptly upgraded the fork and wheels, since I had already owned a GT Avalanche and knew the quality of parts that come on the lower level GT bikes.
The Fox Float and the Mavic wheels I put on mine made huge difference but the bike was still felt pretty hefty. I recently sold it and maybe with a 2x10 setup it would have ended up lighter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.