mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Is this Vintage Timberline FS worth $240?

I have a Timberline 2003 that's falling apart. I was looking to get new hubs/brakes/saddle, etc.. but it's a Large I'm 6'3 and it feels a bit compact.

I saw this vintage one on CL and its a 22", not sure if that's too big though. How does it look? Worth it? The hubs look new, plus it has rock shocks (my 2003 and suntours) and I hear the old timberlines are really durable? Is this true?

GT Timberline FS Mountain Bike - Great Condition!
    '98 GT Backwoods

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    $60 would be my max. Those forlks look to be Quadra, which is an emastomer fork. I don't think it's any better than your Suntours. At $240, you maybe able to find a zaskar. Frame only for sure.

Sneaker man
    That does look in pretty good nick... but yeah, I wouldn';t think $250, while good condition, the parts arn't actually that good. But if it fits and get you around...that may be worth something, but I would think more 100ish mark.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What are some GT models to look out for?

Can anyone point me to a knowledge resource where I can up on the quality of frames, per year, and the most worthwhile bikes to 'fix up'?

I want to build a budget-mid level bike with a strong light frame.
    '98 GT Backwoods

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought a 92 Gt timberline rigid,in as good shape as above for $20..... 250 will buy you a low end newer model with disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How about this 2001 GT timberline LTD ? I can grab it for 85$.

Like I said, I don't know much about GT bikes or what year they stopped making quality frames. Anyone have knowledge on when the last of the "quality" frames were made?

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UYyAW8opk1J
    '98 GT Backwoods

Sneaker man
    er... they still make quality frames, its just that you are looking at the low end.

The most worthwhile to fix up, I would say:
    Avalanche (the old steel ones) and early aluminium ones
    Bravado
    Richter
    Pantera
    lightning

and of course the Zaskar, Pyclone and Xizang, but you probably won't be looking at those

But of course that is MY opionion on what would be a fixer upper, you r opinion may vary.

Try looking at bikepedia.com

BikePedia - Complete Bicycles/Frames 1994 GT models
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The list above (mik_git's) is the best list you can get.

Examples:
    Mens Bike - TOP Brand - GT 26" MOUNTAIN BIKE Aluminum Cranks
    NO with capital "NO." I can't really tell from this crappy picture, but I'd go on a limb to say it is NOT an aluminum frame. This guy is a full of it.

GT LTS 2 Mountain Bike - $350 (Temecula)
    Pretty good quality back in the days, and most of the components (minus seat) seem to be original in decent condition. I'd offer $250 if it's your size. Those pivots wear out when ridden hard, so you do watch. Something with "1" or "2" in its names are/were good standing in their product ladder.

GT STS 1500 Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike - $950 (Rancho Cucamonga)
    Now that's overpriced, but the top full suspension model back in the days - thermalplastic frame. Watch cracks on these babies.

gt - $80
    Not sure what that is, call the guy to find out the model. Most likely steel frame from 1993~1995, but there is a slim chance this maybe something...

GT Zaskar Mountainbike Frameset -- Made in USA - $195 (Big Bear Lake, CA)
    Real deal. Good price if it's your size.

[rul=http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/3714541198.html]GT xcr 1000-Frame Only![/url]
    It's probably ok.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, I was mainly interested because my 03 timberline is a Large and the one i found on CL is a XL. I was just gonna use the frame and upgrade the components. I'm just wondering if 85$ is too high for what im buying.

What the difference in frames? I mean, aren't they all heat treated aluminum? How much difference is a timberline frame compared to a say, karakoram? (not compared to something obviously high end like zaskar)

I'm actually more incline on buying the vintage one instead...since its a chro-moly steel frame. Heck, i dont think i'll find a better looking frame than that.
    '98 GT Backwoods

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That depends.

If you want a steel frame, then Bravado is probably more common, but better material (made by True Temper). Karakoram was (until now) always a steel, very good frame. Early on Karakoram was Tange. Tequesta is also known as Tankesta, almost 5.5 lb, which is a good 1 lb heavier than my Bravado. Other differences? Small things like front fork with adjustable rake angle, groove tube, adjustable rear dropouts, internally manipulated tube sets... Something bike nerds got excited with I think, if you ask me, these old steel frames were truly unique.

Timberline was a steel frame, then became 7005 series aluminum. Timberline and Aggressors of late 90s were lower end aluminum tubes compared to Zaskar and Avalanche - not butted for weight reduction. More meat means stronger, you may ask - I don't know. I think I see more cracks with even current 7005 series aluminum, so more beef doesn't always seem to be stronger.

So yeah, watch carefully the material, if there are frame stickers (Tange, True Temper, Easton, Alcoa - those two are aluminum), then you can estimate its worth. Lower end frames didn't really have these "band name" pipe makers.

There is a guy in Denver selling 2008 re-issue Zaskar in XL. Those are truly unique, in different ways.

Good luck, post up pics when you do get it.

EDIT - Here, I was asking similar questions!
    Tequesta vs Karakoram frames

Nice Bravado
    Just scored a Bravado LE (what year)

Sneaker man
    Yeah, it can be argued that many frames (all manufactures, not just GT) use the same frame over differnt models, the only difference is the compnent spec and stickers/paint. So don't know how different/same many of the older frames are.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    edit
    Last edited by adrianm1188; 05-12-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    '98 GT Backwoods

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    Early on Karakoram was Tange. Tequesta is also known as Tankesta, almost 5.5 lb, which is a good 1 lb heavier than my Bravado.
    I have a 93 Timberline called Justin for no really worthy reason but it sure sounds bad.

The olde school GTs in the same vintage from the Talera up to the Timberline used plain gauge Tange tubing which will outlast a fleet of CF XC frames. It is rigid compared to my other GT's but something about a fully rigid 1 gear is fun.

I SS'ed it for a change and It cost me $30 with wayyy more spent SS'ing it ... oh well... the paint jobs from that era make it worth it.

Other differences? Small things like front fork with adjustable rake angle, groove tube, adjustable rear dropouts, internally manipulated tube sets... Something bike nerds got excited with I think, if you ask me, these old steel frames were truly unique.
    +1, they made them good at that time. Even the lower end GT's were reasonable and a bit unique.

Here it is after the renovation. It looked a bit rough after living in someones backyard for quite a while so I'm happy how it turned out. The stem *had* to stay to match the frame & forks

----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'