mtbr member
    Dec 2008

used 2001 i-drive 4.0 good for newbie?

So I have been looking for a full susp bike, based on reviews and my price range I have narrowed it down to an older rockhopper/stumpjumper FSR, Cannodale Jekyll, or GT i-drive. (BTW, if anyone has any experience comparing any of these bikes, or recomendations between them, I would love to hear them). Am currently looking at an '01 idrive 4.0 that looks to be in excellent condition.

I have read in another thread that the 2003+ i-drives should have the sealed bearing bottom bracket (Shimano or Truvative ISIS) and the reinforced seat post mast which might make for better maintainance issues. Have heard that pre-'03's have problems with cracked seat masts and ovalized dogbone area.

I honestly have no idea what any of this means, lol. Are these things pretty serious, and I should just wait for an '03+ to pop up? Is it possible to replace/upgrade the bottom bracket and seatpost to the updated equipment (and how much do these parts cost?) I have heard it is difficult to get parts for older i-drives, and something called a dogbone always breaks, is this true?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The upkeep for and i-drive 03 is great. If you ride in super sloppy or dry conditions you may have to tear the idrive down and re grease the bearings but it isn't a chore. I have an 03 and it doesn't have the sealed bearings, fyi. I have also never had my dogbone break. The parts can get pricey but it isn't to often that you have to replace the expensive parts. Also a GT rep like RBikes.com can get you parts in you need them.
    What is your budget?
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownroad
    So I have been looking for a full susp bike, based on reviews and my price range I have narrowed it down to an older rockhopper/stumpjumper FSR, Cannodale Jekyll, or GT i-drive. (BTW, if anyone has any experience comparing any of these bikes, or recomendations between them, I would love to hear them). Am currently looking at an '01 idrive 4.0 that looks to be in excellent condition.

I have read in another thread that the 2003+ i-drives should have the sealed bearing bottom bracket (Shimano or Truvative ISIS) and the reinforced seat post mast which might make for better maintainance issues. Have heard that pre-'03's have problems with cracked seat masts and ovalized dogbone area.

I honestly have no idea what any of this means, lol. Are these things pretty serious, and I should just wait for an '03+ to pop up? Is it possible to replace/upgrade the bottom bracket and seatpost to the updated equipment (and how much do these parts cost?) I have heard it is difficult to get parts for older i-drives, and something called a dogbone always breaks, is this true?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, the pre-03s did have a problem with cracking.
    The question is - how is it priced? How is it spec'd? Will the old parts move over and still save you $$$ if the seattube mast does crack?

I never had any problems with the dogbone on mine in 2 years of dry riding.