mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Upgrades / Mods for GT Marathon Elite

Just wondering who else owns a GT Marathon Elite (Al frame) and what recommended mods / upgrades have you done? Doesn't seem to be a common bike on the trails I do!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    GT Marathon Elite: Added new Truvativ Race Carbon Riser Bar + Stylo Team 5 deg stem + Lizard Skin cable wear protectors.
    New bar has made big difference in reducing front end vibration.
    What next? yes a clean maybe!

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Photobucket

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrades / Mods for GT Marathon Elite-img_1995.jpg  

Upgrades / Mods for GT Marathon Elite-img_2004.jpg  

Upgrades / Mods for GT Marathon Elite-img_2005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a marathon 1.0 and rode it for about a year. I liked it but sold it and bought me a usedMarathon Team carbon . The Team bike is amazing and very light. The ride is about the same except the difference in weight and vibration absorption of the Carbon frame. Nice bike you get there.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah I really like the Marathon carbon but at the time it was out of my price range and the weight of the Elite isn't too bad. Really surprised that I don't see more people with this bike.

mtbr member
    I concur, i have not seen any GT Marathon Elite's on the trails, but GT the brand is a rarity in Australia (the distribution has failed the brand, new distributors since mid 2010 have not overcome the brand's non-presence on the MTB scene).

I have these mods on my rig;

>Fitted an Avid 180mm rotor and calliper bracket to front
    >Stem was exchanged in the shop when i purchased as i was in between needing a large and medium; went with large and shortened the stem. i will be upgrading this part to something sexy and about 40-60mm
    >Fitted JetBlack jump-park pedals - love em.
    >I fit road tyres for riding to work each week and exchange for Kenda Nevegals for the trails on the weekend.

180mm Rotor

Stem

JetBlack pedals

With road Tires

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice one Jado... now I don't feel alone out there + your bike is more unique in the land of Oz.

I see your rear brake cable hasn't been routed through the eyelet next to the rear shock. Recommend you alter this to prevent any frame wear caused by the cable.
    I think they are shipped that way but my LBS fixed it for me.