mtbr member
    Jun 2008

To upgrade or not? That is the question.

I am currently debating if I should upgrade my '97 Zaskar to 9 speed or not. The current 8 speed is still running smoothly but I am really debating if I should or not. I have the money but am debating if it is worth it or not. Mind you I will never part with this frame since I love it.

Here she is for reference:
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    The high and low gears will likely be the same. If your current your current drivetrain is shifting fine I would wait until it's worn and needs replacing...something different may come out in the mean time.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    The high and low gears will likely be the same. If your current your current drivetrain is shifting fine I would wait until it's worn and needs replacing...something different may come out in the mean time.
    Very valid points. The thing I am looking at is getting it done before it is a problem and I do not have the bike to ride until I can get it done and/or afford to have it done. While this is now more a backup bike it is also my training bike for the beginning of the season.

Upgrades that are going to happen for sure are putting an '07 SID Team that was originally on my Moots with new CK headet and Thomson stem. I was just thinking that while I have it down to do that I might as well do the other stuff.

I am thinking of going with XT for the shifters, rear derailleur and cassette. For the new brake levers I am thinking of a set of Paul compact levers.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you have the money then do it. 9 speed stuff is probably more available than 8 speed now. As a performance upgrade I don't think a gear is gonna make that much of a difference. I'd still keep the 8 speed stuff just in case you don't like the 9. I have 9 speed on all my GTs except the single speed and I don't see a need to go to 10 speed on my road bike. I also like the XT stuff myself. You can't beat the price to performance value on it. I wish I had XTR but it is just not in my price range and XT has always worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I hear you about the availability of 8 speed stuff. There is not much out there anymore unless you get lucky on ebay with NOS stuff.

The XT on the bike now is still running pretty well. I guess I will think about it more before pulling the trigger on the parts.

Thank you for the thoughts,
    Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS