Peddling Extraordinaire
    Apr 2012

Updating a GT Outpost

I'm thinking of updating my old outpost, it must be from 1998. This would be a backup to a newer model 29er.

I'd like to put a single air fork on, to help with the tree roots. But also wondering, could I turn this into a 650b? The V brakes are one of the reasons I'm asking.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I'm not sure if '98 has a 1" headtube or not but if it does it could be hard to find a fork. IF you could do a 650B conversion you'd have to use disc brakes, I can't see the V's having enough adjustment to work properly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just put my 93 Talera back together again. The old GT frames have 1.8" head tubes so all the newer forks work fine. I went with a 1x10 XT/XTR setup. My Corsa fork, front disc and some Vuelta Superlite wheels. Last weekend I took it out for a ride and with as light as it is it rode great. Not sure why, but the feeling of steel is better to me than aluminum or carbon. Also like the look of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updating a GT Outpost-img_0589.jpg  

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by quaz View Post
    I just put my 93 Talera back together again. The old GT frames have 1.8" head tubes so all the newer forks work fine. I went with a 1x10 XT/XTR setup. My Corsa fork, front disc and some Vuelta Superlite wheels. Last weekend I took it out for a ride and with as light as it is it rode great. Not sure why, but the feeling of steel is better to me than aluminum or carbon. Also like the look of it
    Looks good.

My old '92 Talera had a 1" headtube, so did my '94 Outpost.

Peddling Extraordinaire
    Apr 2012
    Where do you measure the headset? Inside measurement?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sorry I mean 1 1/8" not 1.8".........BTW I have a comple different older GT frames and all of them are 1 1/8" headsets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any chance of GT models is the US market came with 1,1/8 " and European markets with 1" ?
    I have a 90's outpost with 1" frame and god knows what i went through to get a fork.(rigid,that is... :/ )
    I haven't posted pics in a while,after many upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    GT indeed switched from 1'' to 1 1/8'' something like 91~93, lower grade steel frame being the last one to be upgraded to 1 1/8''. Not 100% sure, but Karakoram was always 1 1/8'', but Outpost, Tequesta, etc used to have 1'' until something like 91.

Peddling Extraordinaire
    Apr 2012
    this is an aluminum frame. sticker says something like 4000 heat treated aluminum...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If it is an aluminum outpost (1999 or late 1998) then it is 1 1/8" for sure. That must be one of the very first bikes when GT went away from steel. It should be 7000 series aluminum.

My steel Karakoram and Tequesta are 1 1/8", but they are later than 1993.

Peddling Extraordinaire
    Apr 2012
    Your right, it is 7000 al

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

1999 GT Outpost Trail Front hub cones needed

Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can get a set of front hub cones for a 1999 GT outpost Trail? I tried Wheels Manufacturing's model R102, but these have the wrong profile. Not even sure of the hub manufacturer.... Doesn't say in the bikes data sheet.