mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Tuning the front derailluer on an IDrive

I have been struggling with this problem for a while and finally figured I would get on here and ask. I have an 2003 I-Drive with the cable routing for the front derailleur run underneath the bottom bracket/I-Drive housing. When I add my weight during a ride I have problems getting into my front small chainring, if it lets me at all which doesn't usually. Now if I am off the bike it works great so I know it has to do with my added weight.
    How have you guys and gals approached this. I have thought about weighting the bike while tuning but that may throw off the other gears and will effect it when I am standing versus sitting. I am just not sure where to go with this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

Nice day for a ride.....
    You need to make the cable housing that runs under the bb / eccentric longer. As the suspension moves through its travel the distance between the housing end stops grows (because one stop is mounted to the main triangle and the other is mounted the the swingarm) and pulls the cable tighter, which affects your derailleur function.

Here is a pic of the routing on my I-Drive for a visual aid (even mine needs to be a bit longer as I have ghost shifting on huge bumps)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Excellent. I will try that. lol It always looked good when I was tuning but you really don't see that area when your on so now is when I say DOH! lol
    Mountain Biking Apparel

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamline.by.design
    Excellent. I will try that. lol It always looked good when I was tuning but you really don't see that area when your on so now is when I say DOH! lol
    Its an easy mistake to make. I did the same thing on an old Klein Mantra I rode and could not figure it out. Live and learn I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yep, Kind of messes with you. You think there is to much slack but it disappears when your sitting on the bike and can't see it anymore. Thank you again for the fix.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yep, I've been there too. I usually let the air out of the shock and cycle the suspension to make sure I have enough cable sleeve down there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yet another great idea to add. Thanks gt jorgito!
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    You need to make the cable housing that runs under the bb / eccentric longer. As the suspension moves through its travel the distance between the housing end stops grows (because one stop is mounted to the main triangle and the other is mounted the the swingarm) and pulls the cable tighter, which affects your derailleur function.

Here is a pic of the routing on my I-Drive for a visual aid (even mine needs to be a bit longer as I have ghost shifting on huge bumps)

Funny - I had the same issue with that piece of cable housing being too short on my iDrive as well.
    I wonder how many came from the factory like that?