Poacher
    Sep 2010

Tricks for keeping i-drive from becoming loose?

I love the ride quality of my Carbon Marathon Pro except the i-drive maintenance sucks,sucks,sucks. I used GT service video 3 times, Performance bike shop tightened once. And then finally I mailed frame to GT ( California to East Coast and back ). It again became loose. Both pivots (rear triangle and btm bracket) are loose and wiggly after about 12-15 rides. Very frustrating. I bought 2 btm bracket tools for i-drive, torque wrench, blue locktight, and anti seize and follow directions exactly F - you GT! ! ! ! ! This sucks! Thanks for letting me vent, any help from i-drive GURU appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bummer. Mine have been alright for quite a long time. I wonder whats going on with it. Do u have spacers in there? My force doesnt need them but my marathon team does.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    GT installed spacers(small shims) last year when I sent to East Coast. Works fine for about 20 hours of riding. Then both pivots loosen. I was so tired of rebuilding it and the cleaning that I sent it back to them last summer hoping to be done with it. The cleaning is ridiculous considering you need to take off cranks, and according to GT take off Y-bone so you dont stretch it. It ends up being 2 hrs solid.

May the Force be with you
    Call Performance in SF and ask for Jason he's a guru..

I see your in Oakland ,right?

San Francisco - California

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yep, he has a carbon force and he can do a great job. I think he's a bigger GT fan than me. Well, maybe as much as me. Ha!
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    If I have to keep frame I will check out. Thanks. That is super close to where I live. Are some of you guys able to get 300-400 hrs on these GT Carbon Marathons with no pivot problems? Maybe mine is the perfect storm of bad. Bad luck. Can happen to the best of us once in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The last time I took mine apart was to clean it. That was last year and it wasn't loose back then. Man, I wish I could work on your Marathon and see what's going on with it. I love problems like that. Sorry you're not getting it to work right. I hope you get taken care of properly.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Works fine, just both main pivots won't stay tight. Frustrating.

Clean, Blue locktight, tighten to recommended torque, all is good for 20 hrs. Then all is loose again. Now, I hammer this thing as a cross country rider, but no downhill ski resort stuff. At 44, no more big air, just 1 or 3 ft dropoffs here and there with lots of speed. Tons of rocky rides and long climbs. GT installed shims when they rebuilt it last summer and that is fine. Once, ran for a few months at higher torque on pivot bearing "capture Bolts". Still, pivots became wiggly, and I had cracked "capture bolt" on shallow side. Replaced. Torque to spec since then. After GT sent back, I thought about red locktight, but I finally threw in the towel. $ 3900 bike should not have these issues. It was not fun to own/work on anymore. It is at Performance and MGR said new frame on the way. Doesn't know color, size, model. We will see in a few days.