mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Todd Wells and Burry Stander leave GT for Specialized

http://www.velonews.com/article/8318...rld-cup-closer

Under the 'Race Notes', anyone have any details on this??? First Lopes now this, I don't get it, what's happening to GT's mountain bike team?

Weekend Warrior

No good

WTF is this rubbish?!?! Why are they all leaving?! Did they leave, or were they dropped like Lopes? Maybe the company cannot afford the racing teams anymore, which wouldn't make sense to me since a big company (Dorel) is running GT these days. I think Lopes said something about this happening due to the brand heading towards a different direction...well what kind of direction would that be? I guess it's only a matter of time until Hans gets the boot.
    Last edited by iMacDaddy; 09-14-2008 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Remember that GT and Cannondale are now under one umbrella of Dorel that is called the CSG or Cannondale Sports Group. We all know that Cannondale sponsors a couple of UCI/Pro Tour road teams and GT even began sponsoring the US Continental Jelly Belly road team this past year. The way road racing is going especially now with LA coming back the focus may have changed. Also remember that BMX is an Olympic sport now and grabbed global headlines during the Beijing games. So yes, maybe the focus has changed. Let's face it Burry is an up and comer having won the UCI U23 World title this past weekend and finishing 5th overall in the mens as well. Big dollars to keep someone like that on board and If I were a big company and could lock up someone like that I would. (Specialized did). Todd also had his best season ever on the WC and could ask for more $$ as a result even though he didn't notch any wins he's still the top American not to mention a great guy and he's up there most of the time. Maybe GT's focus will turn to road and BMX or to a development level MTB team or perhaps a full blown team who knows at this time. You would think if they were staying in the MTB scene that they would have wanted to keep someone like Todd or Burry on board at the WC level. One thing for sure is there will be tons of team change announcements and signings coming in the next couple weeks and months ahead.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Most impressive is that GT get 3rd place overall as a team with only two riders!!! . Only Orbea (4riders) and Swisspower(7 rides ) get more points than them. I think GT is doing a very big mistake . One question: Does Specialized have to pay GT to buy the riders ,like football (soccer) . Or they just ran out of contract

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    people inside insist that GT tried everything they could to retain Burry and Todd. Including outbidding Spesh....however ever since last spring's Cape Epic Sauser and Burry have become quite good friends and Todd and Ned are pretty tight....Burry and Todd wanted to move to the same team.....CSG wanted to move Burry to Cannondale and keep Todd on GT and sign DH riders to support the new Fury .....however Spesh and Suaser and Ned won this round and gave Burry and Todd what they wanted and managed to pick up two great riders...however ....it remains to be seen how much attention XC will get after the olympic run up....and it remains to be seen if Todd can put another epic season in the books like he did this year....Burry is a WC in waiting...Todd is a waxing vet....a great guy however......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espepe
    Most impressive is that GT get 3rd place overall as a team with only two riders!!! . Only Orbea (4riders) and Swisspower(7 rides ) get more points than them. I think GT is doing a very big mistake . One question: Does Specialized have to pay GT to buy the riders ,like football (soccer) . Or they just ran out of contract
    I think riders usually go to the highest bidder or team they want to ride for. In this case Specialized just won out according to dd59. I suppose if a rider had years left under contract with one team it would be possible for another team to buy out the remainder of a riders contract and pay another team off to get a rider but I don't think the bicycle industry has that kind of money to throw around. It's not like soccer where you have TV income and 70,000 paying fans.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    and for even more good news, GT have not resigned Jill Kintner or Bryn Atkinson for 2009. Olympic medal and now no job for Jill, what is going on there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

rumour is it that GT signs Kevin Aiello

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/k...81392-dad-time

word has it more new DH riders to come

Kintner is a great rider but was not sure of she wanted to do next year and evidently there are only so many women's 4X bikes that you can sell....

May the Force be with you

Not comming back

Quote Originally Posted by jackal5
    and for even more good news, GT have not resigned Jill Kintner or Bryn Atkinson for 2009. Olympic medal and now no job for Jill, what is going on there?
    It's too bad. I really liked these riders riding for my fav bike company. I really like ther bikes but not sure about the company lately. Post from Jill's web site today:
    Team Brill for Hire!!!

BICYCLES NEWS
    We just received a phone call that both Bryn and I will not be resigned with GT for '09. We were really happy there, and love the bikes, so this doesn't seem like a very good strategy after all the promotion and success, but it's their call. 3 years, 2 national championships, World cup overall title, 2 World Championship titles, and now an Olympic Bronze in a different sport. Just wanted to say thank you for the support over the years, it's been a good ride, but now it's time for the next chapter. Anyone interested?. There are exciting plans on the horizon.

September 18, 2008 Posted by: Jill at 09:41 AM

http://www.jillkintner.com/home.html