29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Thoughts on the GT Meatball?

I'm looking at a new commuter bike. I love my old retro GT SS build. I ride it about 50% of the time, but the frame is a bit small for me and is a bit unvomfortable to ride for more than an hour or so.

Anyone have any thoughts on this bike: Meatball - City - Urban - Bikes - 2013

Its so new that there are not any reviews out yet. My only concern is the 2 speed rear hub.

I loved my old GT to death, and I think they make a top notch product. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    worked at a shop that sold a bike with the Sturmy-Archer kickback 2-speed hub. I believe that SRAM's hub is based off the Sturmy design. We had near every one returned due to the hub blowing up. The only folks who made it work were those who rarely stood up, and generally weren't crank mashers.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    worked at a shop that sold a bike with the Sturmy-Archer kickback 2-speed hub. I believe that SRAM's hub is based off the Sturmy design. We had near every one returned due to the hub blowing up. The only folks who made it work were those who rarely stood up, and generally weren't crank mashers.
    Great.. If I go with that bike, I may see if I can have them swap out the rear hub and make it a traditional flip/flop SS/Fixie.

I'm still "Internet-Window" shopping, but I sure would love to have a bike based upon that frame.

Huckin' trails
    Add some fenders and it's gonna be a fine looking commuter.

Only thing is you could pretty much get another larger GT frame and swap everything over and you'll be pretty much in the same boat as buying a new one like the Meatball... Even more for near $800.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Add some fenders and it's gonna be a fine looking commuter.

Only thing is you could pretty much get another larger GT frame and swap everything over and you'll be pretty much in the same boat as buying a new one like the Meatball... Even more for near $800.
    This is the only Triple Triangle frame with horizontal drop-outs I've seen. I want to do away with my chain tensioner and I love the way this frame looks. I also can't tell if there are mounts for a rear break (If I go with a free-wheel hub in the rear) on that frame. I believe that I've seen pictures with a front break so I think I can install a front break easy enough.

This weekend I may make a trip to my local GT retailer and see if they have this bike for me to look at.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think it's a good looking bike

mtbr member
    How wide are the dropouts set on the Meatball? Be sure to get the right width if you replace the rear wheel.

Awesome not Rad
    The SRAM Automatix on the Meatball is a 2spead auto shifting hub not a kick back like the terrible sturmy hubs.
    The OLD of the Automatix hub is 120 but can be spaced out to 130. The Meatball frame is essentially a fix gear frame with 120mm spaced track ends.