mtbr member
    May 2006

Suspension sag for I-drive marathon

Hi,

there seem to be some people who know their GT stuff around here.
    I've got some trouble to get the suspension working correctly on my I-drive marathon bike.
    It has a Fox rp23 shock. Especially the correct amount of sag. What is an advisable amount of sag to start from? (in % of total travel of the shock)
    I do XC riding and long distance races.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The general rule of thumb is between 20-25% sag. On the Marathon's that equals about 10-15mm of shock travel. Use the little rubber O-ring to measure your sag (yeah i know but a lotta people don't know what it's for so i thought i'd tell ya just in case)

Most people will give you a differant answer on what they run. When i had a Marathon i run as close to the 10mm mark as i could get just out of personal preferance. If your tracks are fairly smooth run closer to 10mm, if they are rough run closer to 15mm, and adjust for your riding style from there.

Hope that helps.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    I feel like you can get better results if you have a trail you ride often and are familiar with, take a shock pump, and try a few adjustments in the field.

I feel like shock settings have more to do with your riding style and terrain than they do with some arbitrary sag number.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    I feel like you can get better results if you have a trail you ride often and are familiar with, take a shock pump, and try a few adjustments in the field.

I feel like shock settings have more to do with your riding style and terrain than they do with some arbitrary sag number.

I totally argee Nato, thats why i said to adjust it for his riding style from there.

The numbers i gave were for a starting point dude, which is what he needed.

They are also factory recommended base settings so far from "arbitrary".

I figure the factory might just know a thing or two about setting these bikes up.

So yeah, start of with the ettings above and when your out on your favorite trail have a play around with it and see what feels best for you.

Enjoy!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    "arbitrary" just means subject to one's will, and contingent on one's discretion.

If there is ever a range, like 20-25% and 10-15mm, then that number is subject to your discretion, and is arbitrary.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thnk you for the response.
    I will try some differnt settings the nxt time I'll go to ride.