mtbr member
    Dec 2008

New question here. Suspension Fork for '93 GT Telera

I just picked up a new GT Avalanche and was thinking about upgrading out the front fork in my old GT Talera.
    I remember asking the LBS about this years ago and they said due to the head size I would be better off buying a new bike. I wanted to revisit the shock idea but wasn't sure what size I would need. I haven't been able to find anything written about what the bike has but my assumption is that it would be a 1" threaded, with 80mm of travel.

Does anyone have any information, experience or suggestions on this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Assuming its a 1" steerer tube, your options will be limited. Though you'll find them occasionally on Ebay and will likely need a rebuild. Definitely anything over 80mm the handling will impact your handling.

My Karakoram has an old Mag 10 on it... I'm going back to a rigid fork. [as you can read about a few threads down]

Good luck and congrats on the Avalanche score!

Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yeah, 1" was a guess/trying to remember. not sure if there is a way to tell the size without yanking it out of the bike, haven't seen any posted specs for the '93.
    I've seen a few 1 inch forks for sale, but I think they are all to short. from the tape measure it looks like I need something like 6.5" in the stem.

excited for the Av - hopefully can get another 15 years out of this one too

mtbr member
    80 or less travel as it was never really designed for suspension. more of a city bike geometry with longer rear stays.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Find an old trashed Judy (the pinch bolt crown type) with a long enough 1" steerer. You can easily still find 1" threadless headsets. Then find a nice used SID fork. You might find a good deal on one that has a short steerer rube as they are harder to sell. Carefully cut the SID from it's crown and it will fit perfectly into the older Judy crowns (that came with pinch bolts).

mtbr member
    Putting a JUDY/SID on that frame isn't worth the money and trouble. 6lb frame.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Putting a JUDY/SID on that frame isn't worth the money and trouble. 6lb frame.
    Fair point.

But, just in case that won't deter him, Cambria has some threaded Judy crowns for $9.95, but it doesn't specify if they are 1-1/8" or 1".