Thread: sts/lts help

mtbr member
    May 2008

sts/lts help

I'm looking for a LTS or STS. Frame at least 18 inch. Doesn't have to be showroom condition. Looking to spend less than 500. If you can help. let me know

GT LTS Hoarder
    Have you tried the usual places like craigslist and ebay? Occasionally, you'll see them pop up every now and then. There's also a webpage called craigshelper that can search though multiple cities and states for key words on ads posted on craigslist and I've found that very helpful. I found one of my GT's that way, the rest came from ebay. Just watch out because I've found with annoying regularity, that a lot of sellers don't measure the LTS frames correctly. They have a tendency to measure from the bottom bracket to the top of the seatpost collar, instead of going to the center of the top tube. So a lot of them wind up advertising a 16 inch bike as a 19 inch bike instead.

I don't see that finding a $500 LTS isn't that hard, but it may take awhile for one to surface. The last few 1997 models on ebay are running about $350-450 depending on the condition. But if you've got your heart set on an STS, that may be a little more difficult. I think I've seen most of them go a bit more than $500. Of course, the newer year model LTS/STS fetch a bit more, but I still think you could find one in your price range, it's just a matter of when. Good luck on your search!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I really want an LTS but would also take an STS. The problem I run into with a lot of craigslist ads is that the seller doesn't want to ship, or they never get back to me. I hate waiting because I've wanted one since I was in 8th grade(1998) but if I waited that long, what's another few more months.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Yeah, I've discovered craigslist posters are notorious for that. They list it locally so that they don't have to be hassled into shipping it (otherwise, it'd just go to ebay,or was that because of the selling fees or their poor feedback?).

I know about how you feel about wanting an older bike. In 1997, I fell in love with the STS-1. Never thought I'd ever afford one, but 10 years later, I finally had one. The only difference is that I didn't pay 4 grand for it. lol

Keep the faith and keep looking. One will turn up soon. Are you looking for any specific year/model?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm a fan of the regular LTS... not so much on the thousands models or ds/dh models. I also prefer the ones with the super rock shox rear shock(with the adjusters). Otherwise, year isn't a big factor. I wish I had kept my '98 catalog. I can't remember the main differences between the lts 1.2.3.4.5 etc

GT LTS Hoarder
    Here is the 98 gt lineup : http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/D...=1998&Brand=GT

If you're talking about the LTS with the two position travel chips and the trunion mount shock, that would narrow it down to any of the 1998 or newer LTS, the STS lineup and only the 1997 LTS-1. In 1997, the LTS-2, and LTS-3 were the "old-style" linkages and the LTS-4/5 had elastomer suspension.

I don't know too much about any pre-97 LTS's (although I have one), but I do know that the "newer" rear linkage wasn't introduced until 97. It's just as well...some of the older LTS rear triangles aren't V-brake compatible...

Check out the following pics... the first one is from my 1997 LTS-1 with the trunion mount shock. The other is my 1997 LTS-2's and LTS-3's with the "older" style linkage. I don't have anything newer than 1997. Seems like I'm stuck in that year...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sts

I have a STS size med that I built up. I may be conviced to sell just the frame for the right price. It has the Stratos shock currently installed.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I like the LTS with the travel chips/trunion mount best. This search is seemingly endless. I guess I would feel different if I had more money to spend

mtbr member
    May 2008
    GRRRrrrrrrrRrR there was a guy on craigslist who had a 20-inch frame lts 2 in ball burnished finish....told him I needed it shipped to me...I wanted to pay for it asap and he was into making a deal----- sent a few e-mails back and forth, and now nothing GRGRRGRRRRRR

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anywhere else I can look besides craigslist, this forum, ebay, and pinkbike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Try a simple google search with "LTS, GT, For Sale" etc as the key words. A lot of times, you'll get local MTB boards with postings.

I just resurrected my LTS DS for my girlfriend to use. As heavy as it's built up, she loves it.

Devolution is real!
    What was the difference between a lts-2000ds & the lts-2000? Was the plain 2000 aimed toward XC riding?

GT LTS Hoarder
    As far as I know, the only difference is the ds versions were fitted with a dual crown fork. Regular versions got a single crown fork.